Okay, I've never heard a thing here about these mariachi basses. so, what do you know about them, think about them, like, dislike, etc.

Also, which ones are good?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've fiddled around with one before. The action is pretty high so it can be a bit of a bitch to play at first.

I was actually supposed to play one as a fill in for a small mariachi group at a party but didn't have enough time to really familiarize myself with it before the show (which was only 2 days away) so I said no. Not to mention I only knew very little mariachi music at that point.

Still kind of considering it for the future though because that kind of stuff pays REALLY good money where I live. But I have no idea where to find a Guitarron.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
i think they're pretty cool myself, although i've never played one. in my neighborhood, they now have mariachi band class in middle, and highschool. sure looks like fun.
I've played one several times--and yes the sound is great. But if your small like me they are really ungainly and the action is incredibly high. They are fun and really thumpy. Fun fact: the Guitarron was the inspiration for Ernie Ball's Earthworks, the first commercial acoustic bass guitar.

I've play a Paracho Elite, which was really nice sounding and a cheaper model which I forget the brand. There are a ton of custom luthiers who make guitarrons in Mexico and California and a web search should bring up a few dozen names.
haha, I knew the Ernie Ball thing, that's what made me curious.

anyway, I'm going to be staffing in Philmont (Boy Scout Heaven, New Mexico) over the summer, and I want to keep practicing my low end. So I thought, what about those things. It might be an instrument I'll be allowed to use while there, especially if the year I have to live in in the 1800's or something (we pretend it's a long time ago to teach boy scouts fun skills they'll never use again). Plus, my pops will like it because that man likes his mariachi.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Since you are in So. Cal you should be able to score one pretty easy, either through a pawn shop or local music shop specializing in Latin instruments. I was in Long Beach a few weeks back one of the local shops there had three in stock. Good luck!
they have really high action because they're meant to be slapped.

other than being huge and me not know what they tune to and them being fretless, I love them
more like plucking, I think.
thanks!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

A Mexican linking a clip of a Mariachi band... tee hee hee!

Keep in mind, if that video didn't indicate, the Guitarron is a whole new ball game. 6 strings, an 8 inch long neck, alternate tunings... it's a totally different thing, dude. It'd be cool to practice, but not as a replacement for the bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
A Mexican linking a clip of a Mariachi band... tee hee hee!

Keep in mind, if that video didn't indicate, the Guitarron is a whole new ball game. 6 strings, an 8 inch long neck, alternate tunings... it's a totally different thing, dude. It'd be cool to practice, but not as a replacement for the bass.

Yup, it's also fretless if you didn't see. And you are supposed to play always in one position that's the reason for the length of the neck.

Long time no see fitz. Glad you are back to rain sulphur and fire.
I figured they were meant to be played differently. I figured it would be better than bringing a guitar, because you can do a bass line on it, but also, the integration of guittarron style into my bass playing when I get back might give me a new way to look at the low end.
also, fretless necks help with intonation
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Recommended threads
Guitarron
Freezefan
Last post:
by Jacksabbath_44
Korean Anthem
Korea Rocks
Last post: