whats some things I should work on to be a decent-good rock rhythm guitarist
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Learn lots of riffs from lots of different styles, easy, hard, whatever, play along with the albums, play with a drummer or with a band as much as possible.
learn some Stevie Ray Vaughn (pride and joy for example), some Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, and a lot of punk rock.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
well im aiming to get good enough to be in a band friends band to be specific but I need to know some things to work on to get me to that point and about theory how much should I look into?
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Power Chords
Palm Muting
Single String Licks

Learn your favorite rhythm riffs.

actually, not powerchords. you should be a master at chords, and what goes where. powerchords are overused, and used as a crutch when overused by unmusical guitarists. you shoud know everything from C major to B major 9th. Make sure you can groove, and keep a tempo well. And just because you're rhythm doesn't mean you shouldn't be good at doing lead lines.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
actually, not powerchords. you should be a master at chords, and what goes where. powerchords are overused, and used as a crutch when overused by unmusical guitarists. you shoud know everything from C major to B major 9th. Make sure you can groove, and keep a tempo well. And just because you're rhythm doesn't mean you shouldn't be good at doing lead lines.
Did you have the good sense to look at his favorite artists?

You need power chords to play like Metallica, Sabbath, and Maiden.
very helpful things here keep them coming :P
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There's a lot of pedal chugging in metal. Examples are Megdeth's "Holy Wars" and Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight."

by pedal chugging you mean what exactly?
Quote by SkyValley
Dont hate powerchords or discourage their use they are just a chord. Look at layla by eric clapton that riff that the whole song is based on is powerchords and it is a beautifull song. You should definatly be a master of powerchords just dont only use powerchords. You should know how to play chords with differnt voicings thats just one way its not better or worse its just an option. More options never hurt anyone.

ACDC has tons of great rock rythems using mostly open chords. These can be played with power chords or open chords you should be able to do both.

Telling someone who wants to play rhytem in a rock band not to master powerchords is pritty horrible advice.
Quote by CowboyUp
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LR_GDB67eKg

That first riff that they play is a "pedal chug".

lol I cant watch videos on this computer =( so is there maybe a description on here or one you or someone else can give me?
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by punk_metal2007
lol I cant watch videos on this computer =( so is there maybe a description on here or one you or someone else can give me?

learn some songs & riffs. You will encounter the techniques that way, and will hopefully be inspired by playing something you like.

You like Metallica? learn some Metallica.

You like Black Sabbath? Learn some Black Sabbath

You will learn the necessary chords and techniques simply by utilizing them to play the music your into.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 15, 2008,
why exactly is it "pedal" chugging does it involve a pedal
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by punk_metal2007
why exactly is it "pedal" chugging does it involve a pedal
It involves a pedal, yes, but not an effects pedal; it involves a pedal tone.

A pedal tone is a repeated note amongst other notes. In the following lick, the open sting will be a pedal tone.

-0-5-0-4-0-5-0-7-

The opening riff in "2 minutes to midnight" uses the open A string as a pedal tone against the diads on the higher strings. Learn that riff.

Chugging is when you beat the hell out of a string, often the open E string. Megadeth's "Holy Wars," especially the beginning, is a good example of this.
Seriously, is mastering power chords really possible? What I mean is, even after a week I could play them perfectly.

Edit: I'd say practice the basics that are often used in rythm(chords, power chords, HO's and PO's, slides). Also train your rythm as much as possible(staying in rythm/tempo). Find the catchiest rythm riffs you know, like the ones that REALLY get you into them. Practice them so you're able to get the exact same feel going on. Try and add versatility aswell, playing really different riffs(heavy and fast, slow and peaceful), really different genres of music and songs.

Practicing with other people(guitarists, bassists, drummers) will also help a lot.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at May 15, 2008,
For a good start with rhythm guitar, try "Bark at the Moon" - it will help a lot with palm muting, alternate picking and quickly sliding between some common chord shapes.
I like that Ozzy song, but the solos are hard. Learn them if you wish, but don't worry about them if they're too hard, especially since your focus is on rhythm, not lead.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I like that Ozzy song, but the solos are hard. Learn them if you wish, but don't worry about them if they're too hard, especially since your focus is on rhythm, not lead.

I was referring to the rhythm parts only anyway, so that's fine.
how about something like paranoid, or Iron Man.

if you like metallica there are lots of easy riffs. Enter sandman intro, Welcome home sanitarium main riff, for whom the bell tolls riffs, fade to black riff......... lots to choose from.

You just want to make sure its something realistic for you. Don't jump right into the hardest riff. Start easy, and work from there.
Here's some basic strumming patterns
There's plenty more
http://www.guitar-lessons-central.com/guitar-strumming-patterns.html

If it's not hard enough. Just pick one of your favrite songs.

Jump into the fire by metallica has a good mixture of riffs base off
of the Blues Scale and power chords. It's fun to play and not hard.
I personally like the Four horsemen or No remorse

Then do Hotel california for something totally different.

then maybe the Ocean by Zeppelin, or just learn the entire back in black album.lol
It's not all bar chords

The mystical patoto head Groove thing by the Satch has cool rythem
and fun to play.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 15, 2008,
a good rhythm guitarist is a must have for all metal bands. its an underrated aspect of playing. im not one for playing flashy leads eather. i love playing fast and hard rhythms.
i play in a metal band. some say i should be a bassest lol

but anyways learn a song you like. lets just say master of puppets. MOP is at a 220BMP tempo. thats HARD to play. so start of slow. learn the song at play it at a 80BMP. then go up when you feel like you have it. i couldent play it up to speed for 6 months now i can play it a bit faster he he he.

you need to keep rhythm at a slow time to master fast times. slower times are alot harder then faster but you need to train yourself to understand what your doing. a cool site for metal rhythms is www.fretjam.com also here is an exersice i created hopefuly it will help u out.

start your metronome at 60BMP (Thats painfuly slow. but if you master it you will have no time keeping up with fast songs)

ok so start at 60 and play one note. lets just say the open A string. play quuater notes. do this for like 2 minutes or a minute. then go to quater note triplets. then go to 8th notes. then 8th note triplets. then 16th notes. do that at 60BMP and once u have that under your belt try going up to 80BMP and start over. i do that every time i warm up. iv taken the concept to scales. in 3 weeks from startnig that my rhythm was amazing. i hope that helps. if you have any questions let me kno and keep rocking! remember that rhythm guitar is part of the percuttion part of the band (drums and bass) sometimes a rhythm guitarist acts like another faster bassest. there is a demand of rhythm guitarists
thanks for the tips and such people much appreciated
Quote by SkyValley
1.cowboy chords. 2.barre chords 3. Scales... Learn a few of your favorite songs. Copying is learning. Learn pull offs, bends, hammer ons, slides etc. I practice 5 to 6 hours a day and came a long way in almost 2 years... just don't give up! lol There will be some frustration... i'm going thru some right now. But like you, i wanted to jam with a band... now i am. Now, i just gotta keep up with a bass player that's got 15 years of experience lol But you know what? I couldn't be happier.
Toolfan that was some really good advice. The only thing your dead wrong about is "a good rythem guitarist is a must have for all metal bands". That is pure bull****. It depends on the band I think Randy Rhoads held his own with only a bass to back him. But thats just my opinion.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Toolfan that was some really good advice. The only thing your dead wrong about is "a good rythem guitarist is a must have for all metal bands". That is pure bull****. It depends on the band I think Randy Rhoads held his own with only a bass to back him. But thats just my opinion.

Randy Rhoads WAS a rhythm guitarist most of the time. In a single guitar band, rhythm guitar is really the primary role. It's not "pure bull****" at all; the ability to play solid rhythm guitar becomes even more important in a single-guitar band.
Quote by /-\liceNChains

yea i agree with smilie there. RR was an amazing rhythm guitarist. i personaly believe that you cant be a good lead player till your a great rhythm player lead is all about rhythm and how to relate to it
To add to what the others said, learn the basic minor and major chord shapes in open position and barre-chord positions.
Also learn their inversions, basically playing a fragment of the chord starting on another note than the root. Also learn the triads, basically you just play the three tones composing your major or minor chord without doubling them like in open chords.
For rock rythm playing, sus 2 and sus 4 triads can also come in handy: these are triads where the third is either replaced by a second or a fourth, creating a sort of "floating" sound, the chord is neither major or minor.
Here's an E major:

open chord is 0 2 2 1 0 0
some inversions are: x x 6 4 5 or x x x 13 12 12
triads: x x x 9 9 7 and x x 14 14 13 x
sus 2: x x x 9 7 7
sus 4: x x x 9 10 7

Note: inversions are usually triads, like in the two previous examples.