as most of you know, starting on the high e, moving up the fret board 5 frets and down a string is the same key. how come on the G string it is 4 frets instead of 5?
cause the difference between the G and B strings are 4 steps where all the others are 5
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
the G string is tuned differently, this is done to better facilitate chording
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
a little basic theroy (cause basic is all i know)

your notes and half steps #,b,accedentals go:

C-1/2-D-1/2-E-F-1/2-G-1/2-A-1/2-B-C (starting with C to make a C major scale)

since its an octive from E to e your gonna hit an accidental like the 4 step difference between G and B strings.

as for why this is the way it is you'll have to ask someone wiser than myself.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i hardly know any theory. is there writing somewhere on octaves and stuff i can read about?
lol im just sayin the G string plucked while open always gives that sound that just doesnt sound right compared to the rest of the openly plucked strings
oh yeah theres hundreds of theroy books out there, go to your local music store or library.

and personally like the sound of open G, i like to write a lotta riffs off of it.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by Russian1
lol im just sayin the G string plucked while open always gives that sound that just doesnt sound right compared to the rest of the openly plucked strings

imo i think it has a distinctive bright sound when played open, and sounds especially great on acoustic guitars.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the G string is tuned differently, this is done to better facilitate chording

+1

I read in theory books that we have a G-string because tuning that string
to *G* made the combination of the major scale and chords the easiest
to play. ( economical or ergonomic as we say today) lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by wolfy808
Idk about you guys, but I love G-strings.

Seriously, that joke became stale just before WWII.
The reason your G string sounds a little strange compared to the rest is that most guitars are not intoned properly all over the neck. There have been many attempts at fixing it such as Buzz Feiten or compensated fret work(read fanned frets)or special nuts but its never going to be perfect. Most companies use a standard set of calculations for where the frets need to be. Sadly to do it perfectly your frets would not be nice and straight but jagged so the fret would be in a slightly different position for each note on each string. It boils down to whats more playable, and sadly playable means compromise on this one.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Russian1
i hardly know any theory. is there writing somewhere on octaves and stuff i can read about?

The lessons section of this very website.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by halikus
The reason your G string sounds a little strange compared to the rest is that most guitars are not intoned properly all over the neck. There have been many attempts at fixing it such as Buzz Feiten or compensated fret work(read fanned frets)or special nuts but its never going to be perfect. Most companies use a standard set of calculations for where the frets need to be. Sadly to do it perfectly your frets would not be nice and straight but jagged so the fret would be in a slightly different position for each note on each string. It boils down to whats more playable, and sadly playable means compromise on this one.

thats a load of rubbish. The reason for g sound different in comparision to B is that arent the top 4 strings on a guitar taken from a violin, and the highest two from B or something like that. I know its 2 different instruments, but thats why
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Ok looks like somone hasn't done any research at all.

http://www.timberens.com/essays/tuning.htm

Thats one of many articles that dont go into complex calculations but will give you the drift of what I am saying. If you want more...
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Ok looks like somone hasn't done any research at all.

http://www.timberens.com/essays/tuning.htm

Thats one of many articles that dont go into complex calculations but will give you the drift of what I am saying. If you want more...

i don't know theory and i didn't open that url but i think you are right. if a guitar had frets designed for perfect tone (pitch) the frets would be crooked and look pretty crazy and i would think - very unplayable.

;