i have no clue what i want to do for college, and i thought of composing, especially for video games, but idk, i don't think i'm all that great. and also, i think my music is outdated. my friend, who's an amazing musician and old school gamer (he's cool ) compared it to Chrono Trigger or Castlevania Symphony of the Night, but idk. i'm not a big gamer, but it just seems like the kind of stuff i write is outdated.
www.myspace.com/uncletom508
it's like kind of black metal-tinged imo. but yeah, idk. too old?

EDIT: not the acoustic thing.
Last edited by frottage at May 14, 2008,
No music is too old or outdated IMO.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
yup.

edit: ok well it does seem a bit outdated. but most anything will sound like that on midi. its obvious you can actually write pretty well so just keep at it
Last edited by StageLife30 at May 14, 2008,
dude that was pretty good go for it it does sound like an old nintendo game but thats a good thing
in college youll learn and expand your horizons
lol sounds like something that could go in brawl
good work man keep it up
Dick+strings= owww
I would love to play a game with that music on the game. I like it.

Keep it up.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I like it alot
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I really like them and not outdated at all (imo).
Oh and the second one sounds like epic power metal haha
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
It does sound outdated. Unlike others in this thread, I don't think it sounds outdated because of MIDI. Rather, the ideas and musical developments are nothing new. They're not bad, but they're not great either. There's a lot of potential though.

I'm about to go to college to study composition, so I should point out to you that composition is not going to be geared toward rock/metal. Rather, you will learn techniques such as voice leading, orchestration, and writing in various forms and medias.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It does sound outdated. Unlike others in this thread, I don't think it sounds outdated because of MIDI. Rather, the ideas and musical developments are nothing new. They're not bad, but they're not great either. There's a lot of potential though.

I'm about to go to college to study composition, so I should point out to you that composition is not going to be geared toward rock/metal. Rather, you will learn techniques such as voice leading, orchestration, and writing in various forms and medias.

yeah =\
i started writing some stuff for an orchestra or whatever, but you get kind of discouraged when all you have is Guitar Pro. i do have Finale Notepad, i just can't figure out how to use it.
Quote by frottage
yeah =\
i started writing some stuff for an orchestra or whatever, but you get kind of discouraged when all you have is Guitar Pro. i do have Finale Notepad, i just can't figure out how to use it.

I recommend Sibelius. Get it however you can...*ahem*.

Anyways, I don't want to discourage you. You have good musical sense and the music doesn't sound jagged or misplaced in any given section. Also, writing outdated music isn't a bad thing. In fact, one should study the old before creating the new.

Also, for orchestration, start small. I've learned the hard way that writing for an orchestra is no easy task, especially when you don't have any guidance. Start with trios and quartets, medias that are easier to manage. Now, a lot of metalheads will disagree with me, pointing out "symphonic" metal's success. In reality, to most listeners who are experienced with orchestral music, the orchestration in symphonic metal is usually bland and tasteless. So, I don't recommend just trying to "do your own thing". Get a score book by a classical era composer, such as Mozart or early Beethoven and start analyzing everything within the works. The reason why classical era works are so crucial to study on is because classical music provides the most clarity in orchestration, theory, and composition, and will be easy for you to follow.

When you have truly grasped orchestration, notation programs will be a tool, not a dependency.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I recommend Sibelius. Get it however you can...*ahem*.

Anyways, I don't want to discourage you. You have good musical sense and the music doesn't sound jagged or misplaced in any given section. Also, writing outdated music isn't a bad thing. In fact, one should study the old before creating the new.

Also, for orchestration, start small. I've learned the hard way that writing for an orchestra is no easy task, especially when you don't have any guidance. Start with trios and quartets, medias that are easier to manage. Now, a lot of metalheads will disagree with me, pointing out "symphonic" metal's success. In reality, to most listeners who are experienced with orchestral music, the orchestration in symphonic metal is usually bland and tasteless. So, I don't recommend just trying to "do your own thing". Get a score book by a classical era composer, such as Mozart or early Beethoven and start analyzing everything within the works. The reason why classical era works are so crucial to study on is because classical music provides the most clarity in orchestration, theory, and composition, and will be easy for you to follow.

When you have truly grasped orchestration, notation programs will be a tool, not a dependency.
sweet, thanks.