Hey guys, I just started the training course on justinguitar.com, and one of the songs he said was an easy one "Dire Straits Walk of Life" require a capo. Now, I have never heard of a capo before, so looking some up I've come to the conclusion that they're basically a clamp that acts as an extra hand to hold down strings. They're also pretty pricey for something like that....at the music store I saw the cheapest for 21 bucks........

Could I just........you know, use tape or string or something......?

Is it really worth buying a capo for that much if it's not used much (Is it used much???)
Yeah get one, more songs need them than you might think.

It's also fun to play songs with a capo on anyway, just to mix it up...>_>
Not really used that much. especialy if you know how to play guitar. In saying that i mean, learn without it, it's better for training your hands.
You should be able to pick up an elastic band one for like 5 bucks. Usually the clamp ones are around 15. This is in my area though, I dunno where you are exactly. But! Most definitely worth the purchase.

Also, if you want to cover a song, but you or your singer can't hit the notes in that key, you can change the key very easily with a capo. It also helps so you don't have to keep tuning a half-step or a step down for songs that require it. You can tune down to that tuning if you play enough songs in that tuning, and then capo the fret necessary to play songs in standard.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Really good bit of kit, well worth it. Shop around online and you should be able to get a little elasticated one for about 12 dollars.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
lol tape...never thought of that....

my god that'd make the strings nasty and even worse....the fretboard!!! shame on you!

no a capo is a nice investment for acoustic players as they'd use it a lot more in MOST cases, but tons of electric guitarists would use it too. though i think it's used more on rhythm isn't it? i know u can do lead w/ it but i think it's mostly preferred by rhythm guitarists.

that's the norm price really and i haven't picked one up yet in my 4+ years of playing but eventually i will...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I play Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" with a capo on the 3rd fret and a POG raising the pitch two octaves. It sounds pretty cool. The video might still be on YouTube.

I also like KT Tunstalls "Funnyman".
Quote by theargus11
Not really used that much. especialy if you know how to play guitar. In saying that i mean, learn without it, it's better for training your hands.

That's right, because Phil Keaggy, Mark Knopfler, Joe Walsh, Mikael Akerfeldt, and countless other artists all suck because they use a capo.

Also, "learn without it"? Try playing this with the same chord voicings without a capo. See how far you get.

TS, a capo is not a "crutch" as some people would have you believe, but simply another tool a guitarist can use to get different sounds, much like playing with pick or fingers, or a slide, or with effects pedals, so buy one if you want. I recommend the Keyser capo.
Quote by theargus11

You sir, are an idiot. Some songs are pretty much impossible to play properly without a capo. So yeah it is definitely worth investing in one or two (I have seen and written a few songs that require two capos)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm