First off, I'm an idiot when it comes to cables. I can't tell what's good and what's bad and have yet to try a cable that actually makes a difference in sound.

Monster instrument cables are expensive but I hear are very good. Is this just talk or the real deal?

Are there brands better than monster?
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
they're good, but you can get same quality for cheaper

I just get the no name brands at guitar stores. Just try 'em out there and make sure they don't hum.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
i've used the cheapies from GC with the black and blue ones...i think they are called livewire...worst ever...don't take them if they give them away for free...i used ernie balls...they were ok...some hummed some didnt....i used vox...they were really good...but really $$$ and no i use monster and don't have any complaints...i really like them...no hum, and they are pretty sturdy...plus i think they have a more balanced sound then any of the other i use
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Two words:

Planet Waves

'nuff said.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by parkerfly123
Mogami!! Ftw!!

+1
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
i had a $50 monster rock cable that quit on me after a year..i have a monster instrument 100 cable thats been working great for a few years but i also really like planet waves and probably prefer them more
the main advantage of monster cables, as i see it, is the warranty - if one breaks, for any reason, you can take it in to anyplace that sells them, hand them the busted one, and they'll hand you a new one. done. i understand planet waves has a similar deal.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Mogami, Planet Waves, DiMarzio, Fender Golds, etc., are all as good as Monster cables, but are more reasonably priced. I also hate Monster for their ludicrous marketing schemes, like suing any company smaller than them that has "monster" in their name.
Quote by ltmusicman
Monster cables really that good quality?

Not thinkin' so. Check this out:

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Whether or not Monster Cables are worth it is a war that has raged since home theater immemorial. A poster at Audioholics was put in a room with five fellow audiophiles, and a Martin Logan SL-3 speaker set at 75Db at 1000KHz playing a mix of "smooth, trio, easy listening jazz" that no one had heard before. In one corner, Monster 1000 speaker cables. In the other, four coat hangers twisted and soldered into a speaker cable.

Seven songs were played while the group was blindfolded and the cables swapped back and forth. Not only "after 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire," but no one knew a coat hanger was used in the first place.

Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use.

It's possible these guys weren't super-hardcore audiophiles that might not be able to tell the difference. Ignoring the main point for a second, we don't really recommend re-wiring your home theater after a firesale on wire hangers. [Audioholics via Consumerist]

Original article found here: Coat hanger vs Monster cable
Last edited by FEDS-91 at May 15, 2008,
Ot get George L! Good enough for Eric Johnsons, so they're good enough for anyone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I've heard from a few people that the jacks Monster Cable uses are a little too big and after some time they will damage the input jacks.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Haanz
Two words:

Planet Waves

'nuff said.

3 words

waste of time

on topic though

Yes....they are that good....

and the warranty is incredible....

they are the last cables you will ever need to buy
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Down where I live, the stores pretty much stock only Cordial and Yellow Cable leads, I don't know about their reputation but they work pretty good so far.
The problem with the coat hanger test is, that I believe coat hangers are actually pretty good as wires. They're thick and such, not very well shielded, but anyway. What that test proves is that coat hangers are good as wires (although somewhat dangerous I believe and badly shielded and whatnot, hard to use etc.). That said, I don't think the Monsters are worth the money (except maybe for the warranty). I personally have Planet Waves.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
There's a lot more to cables than most people think. The biggest issue a lot of people overlook is the frequency response curve associated with the different cables. Monster 500 series cable is usually accused of having a rather uneven FRC with a couple of high points and a couple of low points. Mogami gold has an extremely flat FRC, but doesn't conduct as well as several other cables. George L's is skewed toward the high end.

The result of this from a guitarists perspective can be varied. Mogami was revered in the recording industry for a while on account of the flat FRC. George L's gets a lot of hype because its sounds brighter than most other products on the market. Monster is generally looked at as slightly subpar, but it's all subjective.

Probably the finest cable I've found at a "not ludicrous" price is the Lava Cable ELC. I'll be switching over to ELC from the much more expensive Mogami Platinum I'm using presently here in a few weeks. It will take around $285 worth of ELC to replace the $550 worth of Mogami currently in my rig.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
There's a lot more to cables than most people think. The biggest issue a lot of people overlook is the frequency response curve associated with the different cables. Monster 500 series cable is usually accused of having a rather uneven FRC with a couple of high points and a couple of low points. Mogami gold has an extremely flat FRC, but doesn't conduct as well as several other cables. George L's is skewed toward the high end.

The result of this from a guitarists perspective can be varied. Mogami was revered in the recording industry for a while on account of the flat FRC. George L's gets a lot of hype because its sounds brighter than most other products on the market. Monster is generally looked at as slightly subpar, but it's all subjective.

Probably the finest cable I've found at a "not ludicrous" price is the Lava Cable ELC. I'll be switching over to ELC from the much more expensive Mogami Platinum I'm using presently here in a few weeks. It will take around $285 worth of ELC to replace the $550 worth of Mogami currently in my rig.

Doesn't the FRC influence depend on the pickups you use? I think signals from active pickups don't suffer from the cable inductance and capacitance as much as do passive pickups. Or does this have nothing to do with the FRC? (i'm not a tech nut ... yet)
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Fama,

Coat hangers actually make darn good speaker wire. As a general rule, solid cores conduct significantly better than braided cores and coat hangers are as solid as they come. They're certainly not made of the purest metal in the world, but when you're using 4 of them it tends to not matter. Another thing to note is that speaker cable is generally not shielded. Powered signals aren't nearly as likely to pick up noise as unpowered signals. To be perfectly honest you could wire virtually all your speakers with lamp wire and almost nobody would be able to tell the difference between it and $300 worth of Evidence Audio Siren cable.

Instrument cable is a completely different animal though. Because unpowered signals (especially high impedance signals) are so prone to picking up noise, shielding is a primary concern, often overshadowing the quality of the core(s). It's a lot easier to hear the difference between two different instrument cables than it is to hear the difference between two different speaker cables.
^^^^

/thread

they are great quality cables, and you never need to replace them....(even if that comes up they give you new ones)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
dude, i use those like, 10 dollar 20 foot ones, and they work perfectly. if you know how to solder, when a cable joint breaks, you should be just fine.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by Ventor
Doesn't the FRC influence depend on the pickups you use? I think signals from active pickups don't suffer from the cable inductance and capacitance as much as do passive pickups. Or does this have nothing to do with the FRC? (i'm not a tech nut ... yet)

Any low impedance signal (post-buffer/preamp) is less prone to inductance and capacitance than a high impedance signal (passive). In some convoluted way it's all connected, but the frequency response curve is generally not influenced very much by the impedance of the signal. This is why, for example, George L's still sounds bright when used on a pedal board with a buffered pedal up front.