Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and also to guitar buying/trading, so I figured I'd try to get some input from the veterans around here.

I've been playing guitar for quite a few years, but during that time I've only owned a couple of guitars. This is mainly due to the fact that I couldn't really afford to spend any extra money on anything better. Well, I'm finally at a point now where I have some extra money to spend but I'm having a hell of a time finding "the" guitar for me.

I'm going to break down what I'm looking for and see if maybe any of you know of where I might be able to find it, the price that I might be looking at, and maybe even a place where I could custom build it at a decent price.

Firstly, I guess I should mention my budget :P. I'm looking to spend a total of around 1k, although I'd like to keep it at around 700-800 if possible.

As for what I'm looking for, I'll get the more important things out in the open first. I'm a sucker for the neck-thru construction vs. the bolt-on, so that's definitely something I've gotta have. And of course, it's got to be 24 frets .

As for pickups, I'm still not really sure what to get. I love progressive metal (ie. dream theater, paul gilbert stuff, symphony x, etc) so I want something that has a lot of punch and versatility to it. I'm guessing dimarzio's or active EMG's would be the best bet? I'm up for any suggestions though.

For the bridge, I'm going with a floating trem for sure. I've played around with an Ibanez RG570 and 1570 so I've had some experience with the edge bridges and I really love them. I've never tried an original floyd, but I've heard good things about them. I'm sure either of them would be great compared to the clunky licensed floyd I'm using now lol. I'd like to have to lowest action possible to help in those shredding moments.

In short, I'm basically looking for a white-finished (that's my color of choice :P), ibanez 1570 with a set-neck. I like the bridge that comes stock with the 1570, and the pu's are actually pretty decent from what I remember, but I just couldn't get used to the bolt on. I'm spoiled with the neck-thru design on my ESP LTD M-200FM :P. Particularly something as thin and fast as the prestige wizard but with a neck-thru design would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anything like this (an ibanez perhaps) exist at around a 1k price range, or at least some what close?

This right here is the closest match to what I've been looking for, but it has the shark-fin style body, which I'm assuming would be a pain in the ass to play sitting down =/. http://www.rondomusic.com/reapercustomerwhite.html. The thing is, it's really cheap, has active EMGs, a set-neck with kick ass cross inlays. The floyd looks pretty cheap but it can easily be changed. It'd be perfect if only it had that super strat body style... sigh .

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I have much to learn .
for that price range:

Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser.

24 frets, active EMGs as you requested, Floyd Rose bridge, etc.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I also have a 200fm, I love the neck-through. I think an rg1570 is a killer guitar, the EdgePro bridge is awesome. I was gonna get one before I found a cheap JEM on Ebay. And that's really just the same guitar with different pickups. The bolt-on necks on the RG's are very comfy. You can hit 24 with eeze. I mean if they're good enough for Steve Vai, they're good enough for me.
Ya, the Hellraiser is a wicked guitar for the price, but the necks are painted just like the esp m200fm, the Ibanez necks are just pure wood and feel a lot smoother if your into that.
I think the Hellraiser would sound better for metal though, but I am an EMG addict...
You know I've never really been into schecter, but man, after looking at pics of that guitar and reading about the specs, I'm seriously considering it.

How fast is the neck? Is it anywhere comparable to a wizard prestige? I want something really thin and fast.
Last edited by Alacres at May 15, 2008,
After thinking about it, I'm actually considering this one: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item.aspx?i=IBA+RG2550Z+LIST.

I wasn't sure how good those particular Dimarzio's were, but after watching a few vids on youtube, they sound like they have much more presence then the EMG 81/85 setup, at least when it comes to soloing.

I guess it's not a set-neck though, which is a bummer =/.

What do you guys think? Does it seem like a good deal for the price?
This is another I was considering - http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-RGT42DXFM-LIST

It has a set-neck, but it's a wizard II... How are they compared to the original? Much thicker I guess?

Also, it has the Edge III, which I don't know anything about, and the PU's aren't all that great from what I've heard.

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be worth it?

Sorry about the tons of questions; I feel like I won't be able to sleep until I decide on this .

Edit: On second thought (err, or third thought) I think I've found the one I'm going for. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item.aspx?i=IBA+RG2570E+LIST

It actually has the Edge pro that I've used before, so I know it's quality.
Last edited by Alacres at May 15, 2008,
The edge 3 is a POS. The 2550 and 2570 are the same quality. One ha a pickguard and is front routed and the other has no pickguard and is back routed. Its just choice.

Those two guitars are excellent. In my opinion you cant do better for the price (You can match it in terms of quality however)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Metalcoresoul
for that price range:

Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser.

24 frets, active EMGs as you requested, Floyd Rose bridge, etc.

+1 to the c1 fr hellraiser...
a really good guitar for the price...
Quote by andy331

and i used to hump everything in sight and i had fake sex with my styuffed animals and pretended they were the pink power ranger!
There seems to be a lot of love for the C-1 Hellraiser on UG, and indeed it's quite a well appointed guitar for the price.

I wouldn't worry unduly about getting a thru-neck, they're somewhat unusual with FR guitars due to the extent of trem cavity routing needed. And unless all you play is highly technical extreme metal or similar, you're better off with passive DiMarzios.
My answer to your question is a Carvin 127.

Custom order all the way.

You could also pick one up used for a real bargain.

On a side note, if you're a big Symphony X and prog fan like myself you owe it to yourself to check out PAGAN'S MIND like I did a few weeks ago.
They are right up there with SX in badassness.
Thanks for all the help everyone .

After thinking about it for awhile (pretty much all day), I've decided to give this one a try - http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-RGT42DX-WH.

Of course, I know what you're thinking; why get a guitar with a crappy trem and weak pick-ups, when I could pay an extra 200 and get the rg2550z. Well, like I said, I'm a sucker for the set-neck design, and also the mahogony body that the rgt42dx comes with, so I figured I'd go with this one and just upgrade the bridge and pu's later on if need be. To top it off, I really love the white finish with the white neck and headstock. It pretty much has the look I've always wanted.

The only thing I'm a bit weary of is that it's made in Korea. I've never owned a Korean made guitar but I've heard the horror stories lol. Hopefully mine will have a happy ending.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and advice; it really made this decision a heck of a lot easier for me.
If you can bump up the price range a little bit, I highly suggest the LTD M-1000 or MH-1000.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
try a used jackson soloist. amazing necks and very versatile pickups(crunchy metal dist. to bluesy classic rock instantly)
Quote by Alacres
Thanks for all the help everyone .

After thinking about it for awhile (pretty much all day), I've decided to give this one a try - http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-RGT42DX-WH.

Of course, I know what you're thinking; why get a guitar with a crappy trem and weak pick-ups, when I could pay an extra 200 and get the rg2550z. Well, like I said, I'm a sucker for the set-neck design, and also the mahogony body that the rgt42dx comes with, so I figured I'd go with this one and just upgrade the bridge and pu's later on if need be. To top it off, I really love the white finish with the white neck and headstock. It pretty much has the look I've always wanted.

The only thing I'm a bit weary of is that it's made in Korea. I've never owned a Korean made guitar but I've heard the horror stories lol. Hopefully mine will have a happy ending.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and advice; it really made this decision a heck of a lot easier for me.

Shoulda gone for something with a ZR or Edge bridge... Ibanez designed the Edge 3 so you can't change it out for an Edge if I remember right. The size is different or something, but good luck replacing the bridge from what I've heard...
If you haven't ordered yet look up an Ibanez S series, mahogany with ZR trem (which is as good as an Edge), not sure about set neck or no.
Or the Schecter Hellraiser FR...
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 15, 2008,
Well, I'm pretty much sold on the ibanez already; I've always had a thing for them.

I was curious as to where I can buy an Edge pro bridge? Any ideas on a good site for buying them? I couldn't really find anything when I googled it.
Quote by mr.rs
My answer to your question is a Carvin 127.

Custom order all the way.

You could also pick one up used for a real bargain.

On a side note, if you're a big Symphony X and prog fan like myself you owe it to yourself to check out PAGAN'S MIND like I did a few weeks ago.
They are right up there with SX in badassness.

newb here, but I can vouch for Carvin!!!my DC400 is a work of art
Quote by Alacres
Well, I'm pretty much sold on the ibanez already; I've always had a thing for them.

I was curious as to where I can buy an Edge pro bridge? Any ideas on a good site for buying them? I couldn't really find anything when I googled it.

It doesn't matter, you won't be able to install it without some body work. I'm not joking here. You really want an RG Prestige or an S series if you're stuck on an Ibanez with a trem, any serious trem work and that Edge 3 will die after a few months. I've seen it happen.
Quote by Nightfyre
It doesn't matter, you won't be able to install it without some body work. I'm not joking here. You really want an RG Prestige or an S series if you're stuck on an Ibanez with a trem, any serious trem work and that Edge 3 will die after a few months. I've seen it happen.

Are you sure that applies to the Edge III? I was reading that you could install an Edge pro in place of an Edge III, just not an Edge II.
Well, I've been thinking a lot about it and I've decided to take the advice of those of you who were suggesting the RG2550z or the RG2570e over the RGT42DX that I had initially planned on.

I just had a few questions for you guys before I make the final decision:

Firstly, I've never really played many bolt-on neck guitars extensively before so I was wondering how the sound compared to a set-neck? I mean, I imagine the sustain isn't nearly as good through a bolt-on, but is it really that big of a difference overall? I guess, given all the awesome stuff the 2550z and 2570e models come with (Edge pro, dimarzio pups, wizard prestige) compared to the lesser specs the 42dx comes with, probably more than makes up for the lack of a set-neck though, eh?

And secondly, I know they're just about identical, but given the subtle differences, which RG would you guys recommend? The 2550z has that new edge pro/z brige mix, and I wasn't sure how it compared to the original Edge pro that the 2570e comes with. Also, I notice that the neck of the 2570e is a 5-piece maple and walnut but the 2550z only says, "5-piece Wizard prestige". Is there a huge difference between how they feel or sound?

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the 2550z because of the cosmetics :P, since I've always wanted a guitar with a white finish, but not knowing anything about that new Edge trem is the biggest deterrent in this decision.

If you guys could give me some advice on this, I'd really appreciate it, and thanks for all the info thus far too btw :P.
/Bump

Anyone played either of these recently? I'm dying to know what that Edge pro zero is like compared to the Edge pro.
Since you fancy Ibanez, I'd reccomend this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873

Or this one, same specs, ZR Trem (Very good floating bridge), 22 frets (24 is not really a necessity for most, but it's your call), and cool looks. Did I mention it has EMG designed picklups?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S620EXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512501
Last edited by Beebaboo at May 18, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
try a used jackson soloist. amazing necks and very versatile pickups(crunchy metal dist. to bluesy classic rock instantly)

Ironman has your answer. Get a used soloist. In your first post you stated you want something with power AND versatility , Emg's have power galore but are the furthest thing from versatile IMHO. I had a set of 81/85 and the character was gone from my guitar. Great harmonics, Killer pick dynamics, amazing chug-a-lug palm mutes, but very thin sounding otherwise.
Get some high output dimarzios(super distortion,X2n, D-sonic) and jam them in a soloist. You'll get way more versatility with them.
You can find a used SLSMG pretty cheap, great ax.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
RGT42dx if you are gonna change the bridge anyways. Look in both links in my sig where i put instructions on changing the bridge into OFR.

Another thing, is the RGT42dx has the construction of the prestige, with the 5 piece neck and well a wood like mahogany
Last edited by nyandres at May 18, 2008,
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I am still stuck on the Ibanez though to be honest. I just don't understand why the new Edge pro zero seems to be the new stock bridge they're going with in most of the prestige models. From what I've read, it's actually a bit stiffer to use then the original Edge pro. On a plus side, it apparently stays in tune even after a string snaps.

Personally, I'd rather have the bridge that's easier to use vs. one that stays in tune after a string breaks. It's not like you can do much when string breaks anyway lol.

I'll probably give it a try anyway; worst comes to worst, I'll just have to send it back.