I've been playing guitar for a couple months and I've decided that I needed some pedals, but I have no idea where to start! Any suggestions?

If it helps any, I have a Squire Stratocaster, and a Roland Cube 20x amp, and the types of music that I play are: Rock, Punk Rock, Indie, Grunge, Alternative, Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore, etc.
you just baisicly put out all the frieken genres that there is, how the hell do you expect to get a answear if your so general about what you play, and how the hell could you learn to play all those types of music in just a couple of months, if you got them down well good for you,but I doubt it.
I dont have them down. I never said I did. I just like playing a lot of different kinds of music.
Basically, I recently bought a Boss OS-2, which is perfect for a versatile overdrive/distortion. Not a bad price plus it has a killer tone. If you want other effects its probably better to go for a whole board, probably a Boss or Digitech if you have the cash - but stay away from the Zoom units, because they are NASTY.
well how bout you master one first and then give the other a try. either way i dont now what kinda pedal you want if your so general, from what youve said so far id have to say get one of everypedal in production.
sorry mate dont mean to come of as a dick but do you understand what im saying.
Quote by J C
Basically, I recently bought a Boss OS-2, which is perfect for a versatile overdrive/distortion. Not a bad price plus it has a killer tone. If you want other effects its probably better to go for a whole board, probably a Boss or Digitech if you have the cash - but stay away from the Zoom units, because they are NASTY.

Thanks, I'll definitly check that out.
Quote by the-kidR44
well how bout you master one first and then give the other a try. either way i dont now what kinda pedal you want if your so general, from what youve said so far id have to say get one of everypedal in production.
sorry mate dont mean to come of as a dick but do you understand what im saying.
Yeah, I know what your saying. I'll try to do that.
^ yah like that guy said from what you said earlier you havent found your calling or you know you dont know wich one of those genres your more atracted to.
A multieffects pedal would be good to narrow down what 2 or three genres your really into.
But I wouldnt advice getting it for a modeler like your CUBE if anything just get a delay, and just save up money for down the road and upgrade your amp.
And as for the genre thing if you like 2 or three of them alot more than the others then just focus on those the most and once you got them down try mixing the diffrent techniques together.
If you're still searching for your sound, I suppose you're not gigging much yet, right? Why not try a combo effects machine.

I found myself a rare ZOOM PFX-9003, but I heard the Korg Pandora PX4 is very good too.

Once you found out what you need, come back and ask the guys here what the best pedal is to reproduce the effects on stage.
doesnt the 20 have amp models, and built in effects, because if it does then that would serve you better than a load of pedals running through the amp.

anyway, i generally like to stay away from boss distortions/ods, you can usually do better for the money.

Take a look at the ProCo pedals, the turboRAT would be a nice choice, rat2 has a bit less dirt and grit. digitech bad monkey is a nice cheap od pedal for the price, but probably wouldnt be too great with your amp.

Ehx metal is a decent allrounder from what i've heard, for a good price.

if you save up some money ive heard good things about the visual sound JH1.

As for everything else, dont buy random pedals untill you think you actually need them, do a bit of research.

Pick up a cheap MFX unit for now.