I'm looking for my second acoustic guitar which would be suitable for fingerstyle playing. I'm looking for something below 1000 US dollars, though I'm still hesitant to spend a lot, but for a good guitar, then sure, why not?

I like playing some Tommy Emmanuel (atleast I try to ), Kotaro Oshio, a bit of Phil Keaggy (attempt to play!). I'd also like to try playing a bit of Don Ross, Michael Hedges and Antoine Dufour.

I would need it to be able to handle alternate tunings too, since some of the songs ask for it. I don't know if that affects the dynamics of the guitar though. Does it?

I'm not into chords, though I can play some of them. I play mostly fingerstyle though, since that's my "sound", if you can call it that >_< .

So yeah!

Thanks in advance!

Peace.
All guitars can handle fingerstyle, you just need to find a guitar that you find suitable. Some people do finger style of dreds/jumbos yet others find them too boomy in the bass, some people like 1 3/4 nutwidth, yet some find it uncomfortable to play on. With that said look into the Guild GAD line and see if theres anything you like or Seagull guitars if you like the Cedar sound.
if you like cedar or a larger nut width, i'd definitely suggest a seagull. i play a bit of fingerstyle on my martin and have a hard time adjusting to the seagull, but once i get used to playing it, it's just plain amazing for fingerpicking. that extra room if definitely a great thing to have. Seagulls are made in canada and have turn out consistantly good guitars. its definitely worth looking into.
Yeah, i agree with siren. I prefer smaller body guitar's for fingerstyle with less bass. Especially if your going to play 'Boom chick' stuff like tommy emmanuel!

Have you taken a look at the guitar Tommy plays, a maton bg808 TE, it's a great guitar! Try it at your nearest guitar shop and see what you think, though it is rather pricey and better plugged into a nice amp.
i'd tryout different thicknesses of strings .11,.12,.13 if you want to be more comfortable finger picking
Thanks Siren. I didn't know there was only personal preference that one chooses a guitar. That cleared a whole lot about my own wrong perception! Thanks!!

I've looked into Guild GAD series guitars and wow! These are great guitars! At least by what I'm reading about them. Yet to hear them being played though!

I liked the:
GAD-40C http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-Gad40C-Acoustic-Design-Series-Cutaway-Guitar-With-Case-?sku=512092
GAD-50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-Gad50-Acoustic-Design-Series-Dreadnought-Guitar-With-Case-?sku=512094

Seagulls don't appeal to me much, since it has a wider than most neck. I'm a huge guy and all (6'0"), but I don't like wide necks. But, I DEFINITELY hear that a lot. Seagulls have great sounds! But it's just the neck thing.

Takamine EG460SC
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG460SC-NEX-ROSE-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512209

Also, I've heard that Grand Auditorium and Orchestra body types were "made" for fingerpickers. Is that true? That said, I'm leaning on buying this:

Taylor 214e Grand Auditorium
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-214E-Grand-Auditorium-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514897
But I hear they've changed the solid back and sides to laminated back and sides. Is this true? That would definetely make me think twice on getting it!! But the sound and other people's consistent reviews of having a "butter-y" neck is too tempting. I'm near sold. What do you think of Taylor guitars at this price range?

I can't afford Tommy's signature guitars. I thought he uses the TE serious? Didn't know he used BG808. But that's just way above me for now. Maybe when I get a better job, or graduate from Univ. That will be the first thing I'll spend my paycheck on! ^_^

Anyways, SORRY about the long reply. It's just that this would be the first time I'll actually be getting a solid body guitar at a mid price. My first acoustic was out of laminated plywood. So getting something like this makes me both excited and nervous. So pardon my asking a lot of questions!

Again, thanks a bunch!!!

Peace.
Quote by kermitdf
i'd tryout different thicknesses of strings .11,.12,.13 if you want to be more comfortable finger picking

I'll probably try those strings out and see which one works best! Thanks man!

Which brand of strings do you prefer using for yours?
Quote by ToOYOoT
Also, I've heard that Grand Auditorium and Orchestra body types were "made" for fingerpickers. Is that true? That said, I'm leaning on buying this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-214E-Grand-Auditorium-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514897
But I hear they've changed the solid back and sides to laminated back and sides. Is this true? That would definetely make me think twice on getting it!! But the sound and other people's consistent reviews of having a "butter-y" neck is too tempting. I'm near sold. What do you think of Taylor guitars at this price range?

Let me throw in my two cents, as I'm working on getting a similar model for myself.

If you're going to get a Taylor, I would suggest a GA3 or GC3, which are possible to achieve at the price range shown on the link (which I will explain below). Other possible models would be Larrivee OM-03 and Martin 000-15. All of these are of all-solid-body construction, as opposed the 214, which is laminated. (The 214E does come with a pickup, though.)

All of these I mentioned are listed right around $1k on Musician's Friend, but if you really need to chop down about $150-$200 on the final price, here're some suggestions.

- Go to a local guitar shop, try out the models you're looking for, choose the one you want the most, and then try to negotiate a better price. This is by far the preferred method.

- If you MUST buy online (which I wouldn't recommend, by the way), check out some websites that do NOT advertise the final prices. There are shops that will list only the MSRP and/or the "minimum advertised price," meaning you can negotiate prices separately or are offered lower prices (via e-mail, phone, etc.) than whatever they list on the web. (I wish more Japanese shops would do that; it's darn near impossible to negotiate over here.)

So suppose you knock down about $200 on the guitar price. Then you can add a pickup of your choice if you so prefer, and you'll still be under the $1K threshold for something better than what the 214e could offer you.
Quote by ToOYOoT
Thanks Siren. I didn't know there was only personal preference that one chooses a guitar. That cleared a whole lot about my own wrong perception! Thanks!!

I've looked into Guild GAD series guitars and wow! These are great guitars! At least by what I'm reading about them. Yet to hear them being played though!

I liked the:
GAD-40C http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-Gad40C-Acoustic-Design-Series-Cutaway-Guitar-With-Case-?sku=512092
GAD-50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-Gad50-Acoustic-Design-Series-Dreadnought-Guitar-With-Case-?sku=512094

Seagulls don't appeal to me much, since it has a wider than most neck. I'm a huge guy and all (6'0"), but I don't like wide necks. But, I DEFINITELY hear that a lot. Seagulls have great sounds! But it's just the neck thing.

Takamine EG460SC
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG460SC-NEX-ROSE-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512209

I can't afford Tommy's signature guitars. I thought he uses the TE serious? Didn't know he used BG808. But that's just way above me for now. Maybe when I get a better job, or graduate from Univ. That will be the first thing I'll spend my paycheck on! ^_^

Anyways, SORRY about the long reply. It's just that this would be the first time I'll actually be getting a solid body guitar at a mid price. My first acoustic was out of laminated plywood. So getting something like this makes me both excited and nervous. So pardon my asking a lot of questions!

Again, thanks a bunch!!!

Peace.

Honestly preference is all there is to it. Even if you play fingerstyle only, you may actually find yourself liking a dreadnought as opposed to an Orchestra which is stereotypically a fingerpicker's guitar.

I cannot recommend any Guild guitar enough. Their GAD series will outshine or atleast tie with any guitar of equal value, and their American (especially vintage guitars coming out of Westerly and Tacoma) made ones are quintessentially Martin/Taylor/Gibson quality at 2/3s the price.

Personally, I own a Westerly made JF55 and it's pretty much the only guitar I ever play. I've also have tried the GAD 40c, 50 and JF30 in store and as long as you don't run into a dud you will NOT be disappointed. Been looking at a 40c as a travel guitar myself.

Another thing about Seagulls I find peculiar is the neck shape, not just the width. The 4 or 5 I've encountered all have an oval like profile neck, it's exceedingly flat and just feels weird.

Grand Auditorium/Orchestra guitars are 'fingerpicker' guitars because they sacrifice projection and bass for more balance and 'clarity' to articulate single notes better. This is again preference, heres a GAD 50 with a a guy fingerpicking it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDl_ahFJXM

Sounds fine if you ask me haha

And a Taylor below a 4 series is a big nono. At $700 you can do much much much better than a laminate back/side.
Quote by ToOYOoT

Peace.

Yeah, i wont be getting a maton till after college either i imagine.
Tommy's got 3 different ones that he tours with but here's a link to his main one just for the record!

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/ebg808-artist-te.html

Good luck finding the right guitar for you anyway!
Quote by TokyoNeko
Let me throw in my two cents, as I'm working on getting a similar model for myself.

If you're going to get a Taylor, I would suggest a GA3 or GC3, which are possible to achieve at the price range shown on the link (which I will explain below). Other possible models would be Larrivee OM-03 and Martin 000-15. All of these are of all-solid-body construction, as opposed the 214, which is laminated. (The 214E does come with a pickup, though.)

All of these I mentioned are listed right around $1k on Musician's Friend, but if you really need to chop down about $150-$200 on the final price, here're some suggestions.

- Go to a local guitar shop, try out the models you're looking for, choose the one you want the most, and then try to negotiate a better price. This is by far the preferred method.

- If you MUST buy online (which I wouldn't recommend, by the way), check out some websites that do NOT advertise the final prices. There are shops that will list only the MSRP and/or the "minimum advertised price," meaning you can negotiate prices separately or are offered lower prices (via e-mail, phone, etc.) than whatever they list on the web. (I wish more Japanese shops would do that; it's darn near impossible to negotiate over here.)

So suppose you knock down about $200 on the guitar price. Then you can add a pickup of your choice if you so prefer, and you'll still be under the $1K threshold for something better than what the 214e could offer you.

You can cut the price lower? I didn't know that! I looked at the Larrivee OM-03, Martin 000-15, Taylor GC3 and the GA3. Wow. These are nice guitars! *drools* There are different sounds to them though, right? There's the Taylor sound, the Martin sound, and the Larrivee sound. I guess I'll just head over the nearest music store and try those models out! Hear the difference myself, since it's much better to hear a guitar yourself then to get it based on its "specifications". No two guitars are the same, right?

Thanks for the tips and advice!! I'll try talking them into dropping the price and say "See!! I'll buy a pickup and an amp! You dropping the price now?" and smile like a madman! Thanks man! And if you don't mind my asking, which guitar at that price range are you more leaning on to buy?

Thanks again. Appreciate your help!

Peace.
Quote by Siren Silently
Honestly preference is all there is to it. Even if you play fingerstyle only, you may actually find yourself liking a dreadnought as opposed to an Orchestra which is stereotypically a fingerpicker's guitar.

I cannot recommend any Guild guitar enough. Their GAD series will outshine or atleast tie with any guitar of equal value, and their American (especially vintage guitars coming out of Westerly and Tacoma) made ones are quintessentially Martin/Taylor/Gibson quality at 2/3s the price.

Personally, I own a Westerly made JF55 and it's pretty much the only guitar I ever play. I've also have tried the GAD 40c, 50 and JF30 in store and as long as you don't run into a dud you will NOT be disappointed. Been looking at a 40c as a travel guitar myself.

Another thing about Seagulls I find peculiar is the neck shape, not just the width. The 4 or 5 I've encountered all have an oval like profile neck, it's exceedingly flat and just feels weird.

Grand Auditorium/Orchestra guitars are 'fingerpicker' guitars because they sacrifice projection and bass for more balance and 'clarity' to articulate single notes better. This is again preference, heres a GAD 50 with a a guy fingerpicking it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDl_ahFJXM

Sounds fine if you ask me haha

And a Taylor below a 4 series is a big nono. At $700 you can do much much much better than a laminate back/side.

Tacoma is by Guild? Does that mean Tacoma's the higher end by Guild? Or are they basically the same company, making similar quality instruments, but under different names?

I watched those videos and many many many other playing their Guild GAD-50. Seems like ALL of them love their guitars! I'm envious! Sounds good! I like the sound!

That laminate side for the Taylor's bad. I might spend more than I like, which is 800, and get a $1000 one. If it lasts 'til I'm old and balding, then it's not a bad investment, especially considering forests are balding and good guitar wood are running low.

I'm not sure about the body type which works for me now. Because yeah, it is all about preference, and it's not like my musical horizons aren't expanding and constantly changing. And Dreadnoughts give that "all-around" sound that can be used for most music. Difficult decisions... If only I buy both a Grand Auditorium and a Dreadnought! >_< I might get a Guild dreadnought for now and save up for a Taylor GA6 or GA8 later or maybe a Larrivee OM-03 . It's near impossible to decide. If only I was $10,000 richer!

Great guitar you have there man!

Thank you so much for the help and advice! Hope I get the "right" guitar for me soon!

Thanks again. A lot!

Peace.
Quote by Hammy135
Yeah, i wont be getting a maton till after college either i imagine.
Tommy's got 3 different ones that he tours with but here's a link to his main one just for the record!

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/ebg808-artist-te.html

Good luck finding the right guitar for you anyway!

Ei thanks for the link! I thought he mains with his signature one, but then again, he uses those beat-up ones, which still sound amazing, so they didn't have his "signature" models back then.

Can't wait for that moment when I'm rich! I definitely won't be rich for long! With all those dream guitars and everything!

Peace.
Quote by ToOYOoT
Tacoma is by Guild? Does that mean Tacoma's the higher end by Guild? Or are they basically the same company, making similar quality instruments, but under different names?

Both Tacoma and Guild are owned by Fender. Both companies were independant until Fender bought them out. both companies also produce better acoustic guitars in general than Fender as well.

as for the GAD-50, i've heard many great things about them from owners. if i was in the $1000 and under range, i'd probably be buying a guild over anything else in that price. the sound is more "me" than any of the other guitars i've tried.
Quote by ToOYOoT
And if you don't mind my asking, which guitar at that price range are you more leaning on to buy?

Thanks again. Appreciate your help!

Peace.

You're welcome.

As for your question, I don't know yet, since I haven't played all of them yet. I actually plan to make a purchase when I visit California in 6 weeks' time. Based on my perception of craftsmanship, I'm right now leaning towards Larrivee OM-03 and Martin 000-15. But it could change once I get to play them all in one setting.

And the particular shop I'm going to look at is Buffalo Bros Guitars in San Diego.
Quote by ToOYOoT

I watched those videos and many many many other playing their Guild GAD-50. Seems like ALL of them love their guitars! I'm envious! Sounds good! I like the sound!

That laminate side for the Taylor's bad. I might spend more than I like, which is 800, and get a $1000 one. If it lasts 'til I'm old and balding, then it's not a bad investment, especially considering forests are balding and good guitar wood are running low.

I'm not sure about the body type which works for me now. Because yeah, it is all about preference, and it's not like my musical horizons aren't expanding and constantly changing. And Dreadnoughts give that "all-around" sound that can be used for most music. Difficult decisions... If only I buy both a Grand Auditorium and a Dreadnought! >_< I might get a Guild dreadnought for now and save up for a Taylor GA6 or GA8 later or maybe a Larrivee OM-03 . It's near impossible to decide. If only I was $10,000 richer!

Great guitar you have there man!

Thank you so much for the help and advice! Hope I get the "right" guitar for me soon!

Thanks again. A lot!

Peace.

Tacoma and Guild are actually owned by Fender. But when I say Tacoma Guilds I meant the Guild guitars that were manufactured in the city of Tacoma, Washington. They are superb instruments as are all Guilds haha, I'd say they are the best kept secret among Acoustic guitarist. Try the GADs it's a keeper for sure and will suit your needs for a very long time.

Good luck!
For TS:

I went to a couple of guitar shops in town and checked out some of the models mentioned (in addition to a few others), and here's my initial impression:

Martin 000-15 and 00-15: Even small-bodied Martins have a reputation for being loud for their sizes, and these didn't disappoint, either. The all-sapale satin look is indeed unique, and I think I prefer the 000-15 between the two.

Larrivee D-03R (I really wanted to play OM-03, but one wasn't available): Has a slightly wider neck than the Martin models, but that wasn't an issue. The fretboard was extremely flat, and I actually found it to be the easiest to play amongst all the models I tried today. Of course, it's unfair to compare its sound quality to the other OM-sized guitars, but I think I got a good feel for how Larrivee guitars play like. If I find OM-03 to be as good as advertised, that is probably what I will go with next month.

Guild GAD-30R: I know a lot of people give the GAD series high marks, but for some reason it just didn't give me that strong "take me home" hint. I mean, it's not a bad guitar, but I think I now understand why the GADs are a bit less expensive than the others. I just wasn't too impressed with its sound, but then again it might simply be a case of it not being my cup of tea.

I couldn't find the Taylor models I've been looking for, so they'll have to wait a while.

Lastly, I just had to pick a model slightly out of my budget -- Yamaha LS26. And boy, this thing plays like butter, and the sound is just crisp and clear. Unfortunately, I just can't justify throwing another $1K USD on top of $1K that I already plan to spend...
just to throw in my 2 cents: I've had a larrivee om-03 for a few months now and really love it. When i was shopping, it came down to that and the martin 000-15. The martin was nice, but I liked the feel of the neck on the larrivee better. I also like the spruce top better than the sapele or mahogany or whatever it was.