So when you guys say to not anchor your hand on the guitar, you mean floating, as in nothing is resting on the guitar. So your wrist isnt touching the strings, only maybe your elbow is on the guitar.

Reason i ask is because i watch videos of say Paul Gilbert or Shawn Lane and they go about what they do without anchoring.

Then i watch a video of Batio and hes anchoring his fingers for half the song straight.

So is anchoring really that bad to do? Because while theres amazing people that dont anchor, then theres amazing ones who do.

Im trying to get used to floating and it just makes everything so hard to do as opposed to even my wrist lying on the low E. Like if i try to tremolo pick i can get maybe 1/3 the speed i get if i put my wrist on the strings, like i cant get my hand to stay stable floating, the pick is always at a different height to the strings because its not stabilized.
I dont think its really bad, unless people do it for everything, including strumming and such. I also find it much easier to play faster riffs with my hand anchored on the bridge, not the strings though (unless palm muting obviously)
Yes, Michael Angelo Batio anchors when playing at like 220+ BPM. He's quite fast and technically proficient; therefore, when it comes to playing, do what feels comfortable to you.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
the key is having no excess tension, if your putting extra pressure on your guitar with your extra fingers it IS going to cause problems sooner or later - play however you find comfortable but ensure it is as tension free as possible
Quote by Jackface20
the key is having no excess tension, if your putting extra pressure on your guitar with your extra fingers it IS going to cause problems sooner or later - play however you find comfortable but ensure it is as tension free as possible

I found that funny for some reason.

Anyway, do what's comfortable for you, if it doesn't hinder you, do it.

Personally, I don't anchor my hand, it impedes my playing, but MAB doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
Well, i find that you should anchor at the right time...

Like for me when im doing fast alternate picking stuff, i tend to release my finger and do my thing...cuz if i anchor it will somewhat restrict my right hand movements, causing string clips and lots of errors..

I only anchor a little when doing some slow stuff, like when I'm just screwing around with a scale or riff or when taking things easy..yeah
Quote by fretboardsmokin
Well, i find that you should anchor at the right time...

Like for me when im doing fast alternate picking stuff, i tend to release my finger and do my thing...cuz if i anchor it will somewhat restrict my right hand movements, causing string clips and lots of errors..

I only anchor a little when doing some slow stuff, like when I'm just screwing around with a scale or riff or when taking things easy..yeah

why anchor when going slow?

ideally your technique should be the same regardless of what speed you're playing at.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Michael Angelo Batio =/= amazing.

Anyway, if you play better while anchoring than you do while not, then by all means, anchor. I've just found that once getting used to not anchoring, I can play faster and with more accuracy.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.