Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm fricken bored.

I think it's time we had a competition thread.

There will be different threads for each genre, and different people will be in charge of each genre.
These people will volunteer, but they have to be aware that they've got to handle everything for their respective threads.

Blah blah blah.

Anyways...

This will be the discussion thread.

Any ideas for how we should handle the voting are welcome.

The first idea that comes to mind is that we have 10 judges for each thread, and they give each song a rating out of 10, and after all judges have rated each song they all get tallied.
Then the 1st, 2nd and 3rd highest ratings are the top 3 of the competition.

Just a suggestion, but please, Ideas for anything to do with the competition threads are very welcome.

At the moment, I thinkk the comps are only at discussing stage, or even idea stage.
As soon as we can get everything sorted out so that they would go smoothly, we should be able to start.

I think If we can get this working well, it would be great.

~Loki <3
~ Please Crit One Of My Songs? ~
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
The_Bass_Poet, I want your babies.
The only problem I can see with this is that every other thread in this forum is something like this:

"FALLING STORM LEAVES MELODIC SYMPHONIC METAL GP C4C"

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
yeah, then this keeps those threads down doesn't it? i'll happily be a judge for one or however many, but i'd like to participate as well.

just throwing this out there, but how about we just start off with a riff and then see what everyone makes out of it? could be interesting to see what routes different people take with the same initial idea.

great idea btw loki
Quote by duncang
The only problem I can see with this is that every other thread in this forum is something like this:

Yeah, this forum is loaded with metal...

I could do a classical piece or a waltz if you want, never done one before though...
Quote by duncang

haha yeah, I'm like one of the people who started that whole trend

But, yeah, this sounds like it'd pretty cool. I've always wanted to do a comp in T&C
i'll join in with this thread.
i'm thinking that there will definitely be too many metal orientated songs.
maybe a limit to each genre?
I'll be in charge of any genre you'd like... Except for country. Ew. lol

Also, I think your judging idea is good.
Hell, seems like every reply is positive.
That's great.

I didn't really think of it as like, a ninjillian different comp threads at once.

I believe it would work better if there was a limit of maybe one or two per month.
That should give people a chance to both Judge, and Participate.

And we could maybe up the number of judges depending on how popular the whole Competition idea gets.
But the judges must be aware that they HAVE to vote for each.
Because if a judge or two dont actually rate a few of the songs, then we ALL have to wait for them to finish judging before we can see/release the results.

Blahh I'm talking too much haha.
These are just my ideas.

It would be great if the whole "Competition" idea ended up going on for months with many different threads. /Popular

b101;
That sounds interesting..
But I'm not sure everyone would be happy having to limit their creativity by basing a whole song around a certain riff.

And about the "too many metal oriented threads". Like I said, if we limit comp threads to one or two per month, we shouldn't have a problem.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
couldn't the competition list be sorted out like this...

week 1:
person one - indie
person two - death metal
person three - jazz

week 2:

etc,etc.

*list of judges here*

they could have a deadline to finish it. i'm basing this idea on the ms paint competition.
Quote by ctb

week 1:
person one - indie
person two - death metal
person three - jazz

week 2:

etc,etc.

*list of judges here*

they could have a deadline to finish it. i'm basing this idea on the ms paint competition.

Not sure what you mean... But I think the idea is for the competitors to do the same genre...?

But yeah, I assume that's how it'd be set up.
i doubt that this'll be as big as the paint competition, it was just the idea of how there were groups of people for each round.
Quote by ctb

week 1:
person one - indie
person two - death metal
person three - jazz

week 2:

etc,etc.

*list of judges here*

Where's classical?

There should be different genres and deadlines for them, and each person can participate in any of them, or all of them at once, etc (kind of like exams). Then you can make people write in the genre they want (but lets simplify "metal" to only one genre)....

Or do like the MS Paint competition, but don't do it in groups, just a big one where kind of a tournament takes place, and everybody does a genre at the same time, and get points depending on their votes, and then points are counted at the end, etc, like Formula 1.
I would love to do a bunch of pop songs.

I'm stickin it to the man. the man that is melodic metal.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
gonzaw. good thinking.

i can't wait till it kicks off. expect some classical guitar from me.
i don't think i'll bother trying o_o''

All of everyones composition skills make me look like a three year old with a xylaphone :P

i'll be sure to observe though, i'm intrested in how this goes
Quote by p!r4Te
i don't think i'll bother trying o_o''

All of everyones composition skills make me look like a three year old with a xylaphone :P

i'll be sure to observe though, i'm intrested in how this goes

It has been scientifically proved that three year olds with a xylaphone produce more pleasant music than classical masters like Mozart etc.

Lol, trying to make you feel better
I wanna work on this with you guys. Lets assemble a team and like The_Bass_Poet assign members or vulanteers to work on a genre. Ill go first, I wanna do Punk with Funk.

Pm me if your interested and we'll start a thread .

Group Members:

1.Jonathan Trejo
8.etc...
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
[Hmm.
Interesting ideas, but I kind of pictured it like Each competition thread is a whole seperate thing from each other competition thread.

I do think that if we limit the comp threads to maybe 2 or three a month it would be more practical.

Liiiike each comp thread goes like this maybe,
week 1;
comp starts and people sign up to participate or judge

week 2;
still more people sign up, maybe even some people submit songs already

week 3;
More submissions and maybe late entries

week 4;
Deadline.

week 5/week 1;
Judging starts/ New comp thread starts.

And from there, when all judges rate each song, (or however way we decide the ratings will work), then we release the results. And the new comp thread (completely separate from the previous one) continues just like this one.

Or something like that.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
K then were do i submit my stuff? And how do u become a judge or a participant. Lot of questions lol... When are we starting exactly from what date?

My Library
Dude, this is the discussion thread.
We're still talking about it, trying to get it so that the whole comptetition idea runs smoothly

But hopefully we'll start soon.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
lol k didnt know u guys were still planning this so carefully . I see now ... So hope fully we get everything figured out cus i need help with drums

My Library
okie lol yeah i thought it was guess not. I dont mind doing it alone. Since its a competition wut would we win?

My Library
Just wondering if The bass Poet And all the other people who msged here wanna still do this... Cause i definetly wanna hehe

My Library
Well I'm definately interested.

I'll start a test/practice competition.

What genre would everyone like..? Remember this is just to see if this will work well.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
Well I'm definately interested.

I'll start a test/practice competition.

What genre would everyone like..? Remember this is just to see if this will work well.

~Loki <3

I vote jazz.
Looks like it's jazz.
Unfortunately, I don't think many people wil participate due to that.
So I may have to change it to something more popular in T&C for this first one.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
Hi, here's how I'd organize the competitions:

One interested fellow takes initiative and posts a starter/discussion threads for the upcoming competition. That poster takes the position of game-master and should be responsible for the threads, the organizing (setting deadlines, enforcing rules) and the counting (of votes, etc.) - He should refrain from judging or participating.

In the Discussion thread the composers that want to participate do declare so, and state their preferred genre that they want to compose. Those votes are then counted and summed up. Now we have several possibilities:
-We decide the theme genre of the comp by majority votes. Should be pretty obvious when you have people voting for metal by a margin of 20:1 for example. Downside is that it risks excluding some of the people who can't/won't compose in that genre but would submit otherwise fine songs. Upside is that it levels the playing field, as there is really not much point judging a deathmetal song next to a classical piece, etc.

-other solution: if the genre-votes are more evenly split, like say you have 5 people interested in metal, 4 in jazz, 5 in classical, etc. , you can then make up several subgroups, so people can compete within each genre. Though you have to decide if that makes sense when, for example, just 2 people are competing in a specific genre.

Anyway, let the people state their preferred genre (or preemptively go by the most popular genre here, metal, I assume).

After the genre is declared and the participating people are counted and confirmed, you set the deadline. Here are some deadline-suggestions I find reasonable:

-Interest/ Declaration of Participation - Phase (ie, what is done here): 2 weeks, after that the entry is closed (though you can maybe be more relaxed about entering later, the point is though that people can start quickly with composing, so that the comp doesn't drag on (=lose interest). In this thread people can also ask to be judges

- Composing / Song submission Phase: 4 weeks. Open up a new thread for submissions, and make it only for submissions (no chatting that'd clutter up the thread). 4 weeks is a reasonable time, not so little that people can't compose and not so much that they'll lose interest. After that deadline no further submissions

- Judging Phase: 2 weeks. The appointed judges will then rate the submissions. Ratings are summed up, winner is declared, everybody is happy. Timeframe is because after the submission stage composers are rightfully eager to know who wins.

xxxx

Also decide on a rating system. Like a 1-10 scale, where you can give points in several categories of musical characteristics, ingenuity, originality and general appeal, etc... Oh and judges should be required to explain their ratings in the critiques (no "good song, 10/10" ).
At the end you add up the ratings a song got from its judges, and the song with the highest points wins.

Oh and you may want to specify what medium the competition uses (GP, PT, midi, etc...).

As far as general rules are concerned, you should point out if collaborations are allowed, or multiple submissions, etc..

anyway, that's a clean and easy outline how to organize stuff like that..

Price can be the right to a nice bragging sig or something ^^
Ahhhh, Ailes.
I was hoping you would post in here.
You have great suggestions, which are way better than anything I could have thought of.
Would you like to take over the discussion? Even though you probably don't need to explain anymore than you already have.

~Loki <3
~_My_Song_Threads_~

Quote by IndieLee
No, of course I don't want to steal your thunder.

You show a great amount of enthusiasm for this idea (and enthusiasm is necessary to keep at it and pull it off), I just wanted to point out some generalities that'll make this competition-idea go over smoothly. Mostly it's just common sense stuff that would've been discovered along the way anyways (but no need to take those bumps if we can avoid them beforehand).

In addition to what I've said before: Bass Poet, as gamemaster of this competition ( you're stuck with it :P ) you should edit/delete your original posts. Make a new "Discussion/Interest/Participation" Thread where people can sign up as competitors, judges, and state their preferred genre.

Tips:
-As signup-confirmation, ask the participants to post their username and preferred genre (it makes it easier for you compiling the participants-list and genre votes, you can simply cut and paste them)
-do not put a cap on the number of composers and judges yet. See how many are interested at first (if it's just 5 composers, for example, you don't need 10 judges)
-but you should already state what file-format the competition uses (GP preferably)

After you've opened that kind of signup-thread (A), give a 2 week timeframe for people to enter. After that, the composing can begin. When that happens, open up a new Thread (B) for the competition submissions. It is advised that this thread is ONLY for submissions, no chatting or judging yet (as to not clutter the thread) - people however can give their comments about the songs in the (A) discussion thread.

In the (B) submission thread you again state the rules (more on that later), the list of participants (it is advised to enforce that only those that are signed up on the list are allowed to participate, otherwise what's the point of the signup thread), the list of judges, and most importantly, the Competition Genre that the people in the signup thread have decided upon (see my other posts, if its more evenly split between various genres you can make subgroups).
Timeframe for submitting your song to the submission thread is 4 weeks. After that no more submissions, and the judging can begin.
Each judge then critiques every song and assigns a point rating. The judging can take place in the submission thread. After all the ratings are given, the points that each song got can be added up and the song with the most points win.

Some rules:

-only one submission per person (self explanatory)

-no re-used old songs, ie. stuff you already posted and people already know (in order to not skew the judging results)

-must adhere to the competition genre (self explanatory). No one is going to nitpick over the intricate differences between florida and newyork- deathmetal, for example, but if the genre is metal and you have a classical piece, just post it as usual as a general song outside the competition.

-no corrections and edits for the submissions, post only when you think you are ready.

- submissions should be in the chosen file format. Everybody (esp. judges) should have the necessary program. Make it easier for people by going with the usual gp5/4/mid setup.

Judges:
- how you want to select the judges out of the list of the interested participants is up to you, anyway post a list of those you have appointed.
-a judge should not submit or collaborate on a song (self explanatory)
-more judges = more democratic representation and more accurate rating results
-EVERY song must be rated by EVERY judge (self explanatory, to get correct results)
-a judge may rate songs in individual postings or compile his critiques in a large bulk, important is just that he has rated every song by the end of the deadline

-Points are given on a scale from 1 to 10 (and I advise only integers used. the 10scale is large enough for distinctive rating)
- Give a written explanation of your rating, and like I said, something more substantial than "good song 10/10"
- the ratings should reflect a neutral point of view. If you need help writing something more succinct than just a rundown of the parts you liked and didn't like, try to rate the song according to criteria such as:
-Song structure
-Arrangement/Orchestration
-compositional proficiency/understanding of musical language
-rhythmic quality
-melodic quality
-originality/creativity
etc..
Your general rating should then reflect your comments.

-remember to rate according to the standarts of the competition songs. Think Bell-Curve grading. Compare the songs with other competition songs, not with real professional songs.

-Make it easy for the competition master to compile your ratings by posting in a rather clear and non-cluttered format. Put your ratings (and the name of the song you rated) in bold, for example.

Well, I'm sure I forgot some things but that is the gist of it. After the 2 weeks of judging phase are over, the master compiles the votes, calculates the median score for each song and thus makes a ranking.
Winner gets a sig and cake
Page 1 of 2