Is there a cheap altenative to a mbox?

just something to get my guitar into garageband without spending a bomb on a mbox?
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
An Mbox IS worth the money...for sure. i mean, you COULD just buy a decent sound card with a TRS input, but the Mbox is REALLY REALLY worth it for sure. Getting pro tools alone is worth the price.....

I love mine SO much, and would not go to anything else....except maybe a Digi002 Rack

The other thing you can look at is the M-Audio stuff. They are cheaper and come with pro-tools m-powered....but some people dont like the gain sweep and other things on the M-Audio stuff.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
everyone thinks the standard ProTools is the must have software if you record and want great sound but the truth is that you can learn to use any software like cakewalk sonar, which is what I use...and get that same great sound.

You just have to know how to use the software nad hardware.

TS, if you are looking for an interface there are plenty of good ones out there that dont require Protools which is high inprice for any new studio.
go on over to the R&R page, the proper place for recording gear
A good new affordable sound card is the M-Audio ProFire 2626.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
£419 is far to expensive i need something around £50/100
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Quote by Brendan.Clace
An Mbox IS worth the money...for sure. i mean, you COULD just buy a decent sound card with a TRS input, but the Mbox is REALLY REALLY worth it for sure. Getting pro tools alone is worth the price.....

I love mine SO much, and would not go to anything else....except maybe a Digi002 Rack

The other thing you can look at is the M-Audio stuff. They are cheaper and come with pro-tools m-powered....but some people dont like the gain sweep and other things on the M-Audio stuff.

What makes an M-Box better than any other mid range interface? In my opinion, they are a rip off. You certainly don't get much for your money, compared to other interfaces on the market.

And Pro Tools isn't great for the home studio in my opinion.
There is poetry in despair.
A lightsnake should help...I've heard some decent results. If you want physical volume controls, a normal USB interface is good enough for what you want, as long as it mentions instrument or Hi-z inputs.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Any Pro Tools anywhere that isn't followed by the letters HD is a waste of computer resources and could easily be outdone by any other native DAW system with much better flexibility and ease of use.
M-Audio Mobile Pre, Lexicon Omega/Lambda/Alpha they will all do the job and are all under £100.
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
I've used both M-Powered and LE systems and to be honest, M-Powered is alot more stable. LE systems come with alot more tweaking needs and therefore come with more problems(with the exception of the M-Box line-up). I havent had ANY problems with my Mobile-Pre set-up since I got the thing a year or so ago, and just recently upgraded to a Digi002 Rack and I about wanted to sell the damn thing and get a better M-POWERED set-up... The Digi002 Rack would probably be one of the best systems you could get... IF you could get it to work and keep it working without flaws... Because the more time you have to take getting your stuff to work the way it should, the more time you're taking away from actually making recordings. Which; and I dont care who you are or where you come from; is NEVER a good thing.

Go with M-Powered, a MobilePre interface is a very nice interface if you're only doing something like guitar(which is actually what I started out with as well). The only real difference between LE and M-Powered is that LE comes with a few more jingles... which you can purchase anyways for M-Powered.
Quote by MrPillow
Any Pro Tools anywhere that isn't followed by the letters HD is a waste of computer resources and could easily be outdone by any other native DAW system with much better flexibility and ease of use.

Well yeah, that's a no-brainer.

That's like saying a new 2009 Viper is alot better than a Ford Pinto... Sure, the Pinto's a piece of crap, but it get's you from A to B the same as a Viper would... but not everyone can afford the Viper.
Quote by MrPillow

nope its still the same program. just on HD it runs more off of the cards. which is nice if you use alot of plugins. and you can add more tracks if needed.

Ive can use most of the major daws on the market today and here is what i have to say about a few of them.

Ableton live - Great for remixing. kinda limited for working with bands and stuff.

Cakewalk-Great for Beginners getting into serious recording

Cubase-GREAT FOR MIDI. i use this mostly for drum programing. Very limited track editing capabilities.Pretty hard to manipulate audio. Hard to learn setup and very unflexible. very stable though.

Adobe Audition- fun program to use. horrible midi capabilities and needs better VST support.

Pro Tools- Perfect for just about everything.
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
I would disagree. Pro Tools LE/M has a horrible user interface, it's harder to use and get to grips with than other native systems, and the MIDI capabilities leave something to be desired.

Pro Tools works well in HD format, when recording in the studio, but I think there are far better programs for working in the home studio - Cubase, Logic and Sonar are all better IMO/.
There is poetry in despair.