my buddy and me are tryin to start up a band...hes got a few really cool rythm guitar beats...but he has no idea and doesnt wanna learn about music therory....and all these different chords have different scales that go with them....do i jus start with the first chord he uses and call it the root?...its jus he doesnt have a set key...i dunno whether i should jus stick to the same key throught the song or switch it up everytime he does.....the weird thing is...his **** sounds really good ...
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
If it sounds good, who gives a ****? (i know nothing of music theory, just my 2 cents)
does he play a song or is he just jamming and you're trying to solo to what he's doing as he makes it up? If he's just making **** up you're going to have a hard time. If he plays a set thing, then you can sit down and try to come up with a solo for whatever part you want to solo over.
What I do is listen to the song and start with a random note that harmonize with the first chord and then I play off that one note using it as a reference point for all leads for the song...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Look man, I thought I could get away with not learning scales and theory for the first 5 years I was playing, and realized, "oh wow, this **** is hard". I'm self-taught, so getting myself to practice was the hardest thing in the world when I was just learning. I grabbed a book of scales and modes, and treated it like my bible, and my lead skills overall jumped tenfold, to say nothing of learning to write a few cool licks that made all my friends think I was the ****.

You're not going to like it, but if you want to have good synergy between you while developing some good songwriting technique at the same time, you're going to have to dabble in some theory. You don't have to dive TOO deep into it now, but learn your major and minor scale forms, and you'll thank yourself for years. Just remember to pick up a cheap metronome and practice with it religiously. Using fancy scales and modes doesn't mean **** if you can't play them with some sense of rhythm.

www.fretjam.com is really user-friendly and has a great theory section and offers mp3's and sound samples of all most if not all of their excercises. It's also free, which is also cool.
thats what i was thinkin....i jus wanted to flow with the song...and ya its a set tune....so should i jus start with w/e the first chord is...its a variation of a d#...so should i jus make up a solo in d#....cause he has a chorus that switches up and a bridge.....should i switch up the key to the beginning chord in those?....
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
i know my major and minor and pentatonic i know quite a bit about therory it was was buddy that doesnt wanna learn it....thats why the chords are all ****ed.....i wanna know how to use therory to flow with the song when there is no set key :-/
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu
How do I solo to random chords?

With great difficulty - if it's genuinely random with no thought behind it with regards to key then it's just about the hardest thing in the world. You first need to be good enough to identify the chord, if you can't tell what it is you've got no chance. You then need to know what it is you can play over that chord. So, in short, you need fantastic ears and comprehensive theory knowledge, it's the kind of thing John Scofield and John McLaughlin would when they were bladdered instead of arm wrestling to prove who was hardest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 15, 2008,
If your friend doesn't know theory, just ask for the chord progression. If he doesn't even know the names of the chords get him to tab them out for you. If it's a minor chord, use a minor scale, major chord - major scale etc. Don't forget to jump around a bit, obviously. Unless you're just THAT good, playing straight scales is downright boring. It's a lot easier said than done, but a few weeks of good practice will yield great results.
ya its intense...n e suggestions?....i was thinking jus using alot of arpeggios that use the same notes...and use the root as the D# at the beginning of the verse?....then switching it up to w/e the first chord is on the chorus and bridge.....it does sound really chronic though....its jus hard as hell to harmonize with...im thinking should i jus go to the singing like a melody?
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu
ya i hate playing box i go up and down all the time box jus sounds boring....but its a lil hard when u dont knwo what notes to play lol...and i know what chords he uses but there like d#sus5add9-3 to the power of 6 lol...so its hard to find a good sounding scale to run with it
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu
should i put this on the advanced board?
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu
If it contains people who can understand your posts, possibly. They're completely unparseable.
Quote by blayzin420
should i put this on the advanced board?

No, because this is the exact opposite of advanced. It's an advanced concept, don't get me wrong, but you're not going to be able to do it until you've learned an awful lot of theory and done a hell of a lot of ear training...nobody can help you do what you're asking because it's not possible.

Either your friend starts putting some kind of structure to things so you've got something to work with or you simply tell him what to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by blayzin420
.hes got a few really cool rythm guitar beats...but he has no idea and doesnt wanna learn about music therory

In that case tell him he's an idiot.

Anyway, find the notes of the progression and the tonal center and you'll have a key.
iight man ill try it out thx...and ye ive told him that o.0
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu