Page 1 of 3
I have a very unorthodox technique i use; I use an overdrive, and 2 different distortion pedals, set at low gain and low levels, and it gives me a really awesome crunchy tone, but the problem is, i get a buttload of feedback from all the altogether gain.
How do I get rid of the feedback? I want to use this same setup, but I dont know how to get rid of the squealing
yeah i actually considered getting a noise gate, but my funds are somewhat low
droppping volume seems a good idea, though it might affect the tone somewhat
Quote by webbtje
Noise gate?

Survey SAYS?

Noise gate!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Get... a job? A noise gate will be the only real solution. Dropping the volume on your guitar will make you lose that crunch.
A noise gate isn't going to help here - they help with extraneous noise, not so much noise you've deliberately created. Your tone isn't "crunchy" at all, it's muddy as sin and clipping to high heaven. If you want to use a tubescreamer on top of 2 cheap crap distortion pedals pedals with a crappy solid state amp then quite frankly you deserve everything you get, stop being silly or stop whining basically.

The money you spent on those pedals could have bought you a proper amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 15, 2008,
use less pedals more gain
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Hmmm basically 3 distortion pedals in a row yea thats a good way to get alot of feedback.
sell two and get a ns
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
i was asking for advice on FEEDBACK, not whether the way i do things is "wrong" or not. if you have a problem with the way i do things, then why the hell are you posting here?
and im using a marshall tube amp you asshole
i havent used the other one in forever
and just because the pedals arent name brand or in high circulation doesnt mean they suck
I don't think there is a way to solve it, having an overdrive AND 2 distortion this will occur, 1 distortion and overdrive i can just about cope with, anymore you do get insane feedback. Try adjusting the settings too try and get it out of 2 of the pedals, one would be ideal, but i guess your tone is unattainable. Try using your overdrive and one of the distortions and play around with the settings.
Sorry but think this is your only option.
We arent saying your pedals are low quality or that you are doing things wrong. We are saying the reason you have so much feedback is the signal is being boosted basically 3 times before it ever hits the preamp. Where it gets boosted again. Try using the natural gain of a marshall tube amp and and 1 pedal pedal the screamer being the better bet.
Quote by mr synyster g
and im using a marshall tube amp you asshole
i havent used the other one in forever
and just because the pedals arent name brand or in high circulation doesnt mean they suck

Then you're even more stupid than I first thought, I had you down as an inexperienced noob but now you've got no excuse

And your pedals DO suck, Tubescreamer aside obviously, there's a reason they were so cheap.

i was asking for advice on FEEDBACK, not whether the way i do things is "wrong" or not. if you have a problem with the way i do things, then why the hell are you posting here?

I gave you advice on feedback, you're getting feedback because...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at May 15, 2008,
lol

and when I say lol... this time I actually mean't that I laughed out loud with that picture...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
lol

and when I say lol... this time I actually mean't that I laughed out loud with that picture...

+1

Although we are being a bit harsh. IF we wanted to get ripped on, ganked or otherwise teased he could go to the pit for that
ISP Decimator or EHX Hum Eliminator (dunno it's actual name).

EDIT: I listened to your first unfinished song, and assume that's the sound you're getting. I'm gonna go ahead and say, yeah, it's muddy, but if you like it then more power to you! I actually got a similar sound when I plugged in a Dean Razorback (it was the Dimebucker pickup), so chances are you can overdrive your tube amp, use the TS9 with the knobs wide open, and with the Dimebucker get a similar tone. And yeah, you may wanna sell those extra distortion pedals. The noise gate would be beneficial as well in the future if you still wanna hit your amp with more EQ.

EDIT2: Just listened to the second recording you've got. Get Dimebuckers in both bridge and neck, select both, and you've got muddy/crunchy/whompy sound out the ying yang.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at May 15, 2008,

*reported*

Quote by mr synyster g
I have a very unorthodox technique i use; I use an overdrive, and 2 different distortion pedals, set at low gain and low levels, and it gives me a really awesome crunchy tone, but the problem is, i get a buttload of feedback from all the altogether gain.
How do I get rid of the feedback? I want to use this same setup, but I dont know how to get rid of the squealing
You DON'T. Crank a shitload of gain in any system and you'll get feedback. That's just the way it works.

You're doin it wrong.

You got good advice from someone who knows what he's talking about, but refused to listen.

You're doing it wrong.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Building or Customizing.

You're doing it wrong.

One would think you'd be more conscious of putting threads in the proper forum after you put this one: pinch harmonics sounding bad? in Songwriting and Lyrics, but still ...

You're doing it wrong.

EDIT: This thread has now been moved to the proper forum.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at May 15, 2008,
*thumbs up to SomeoneYouKnew*

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
have you TRIED the Metal MAster distortion?
I doubt it
and to all the assholes who posted here (not everyone was a douchbag) i asked for advice on feedback not to be bashed on for my gear
The reason you're getting feedback is because you're using your equipment in a silly way in a misguided attempt to be different for the sake of being different.

The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll be able to rectify the situation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Could be the reason your previous guitarist left yoko. Maybe its isnt them could be its you. I know I wouldnt want a guitarist in the band who has horrible feedback because he wont listen to anybody. And no I havent tried the metal master pedal I dont use any distortion pedals. My tube amp has really good distortion all on its own. Bit pointless to have a marshall tube amp only to use 3 distortion pedals in front of it.
Quote by Tackleberry
We arent saying your pedals are low quality or that you are doing things wrong. We are saying the reason you have so much feedback is the signal is being boosted basically 3 times before it ever hits the preamp. Where it gets boosted again. Try using the natural gain of a marshall tube amp and and 1 pedal pedal the screamer being the better bet.
+1. You're essentially running 5 preamp's before the poweramp.
Use that amps natural gain with one od in front of it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i get feedback and noise from just using 1 distortion pedal (not even high gain) with the gain at less than half, through the clean channel of my amp, if i turn it a little above normal listening level. if i kick in my overdrive too, which IS a high gain pedal, i have the gain set very low, it goes SCREEECH at just about any volume.

basically, feedback just happens, a noise gate can cure it in most situations, but when you're running 2 distortions and an overdrive, a noise gate is gonna do nothing. Try standing further away from the amp, facing away from it, or just not being so silly with your pedals.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at May 16, 2008,
Jeez, you ask for advice and receive some. It isn't what you hoped to hear, and now you call them names.

Lashing out at people who give you advice is a serious obstacle to learning. Period.

If you genuinely want "feedback" that isn't just ignorant praise of your awesomeness, perhaps you should check your ego, evaluate the advice you receive and thank Mark & other posters!
I have the solution!

Sell all your pedals, and your amp. Then buy a Marshall MG100DFX! After all, it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE and br00talz distortion!!!1!

Also, Wayne Static uses it so it must be good...right?
do people listen?
i thank all those who gave POSITIVE feedback, even if i was told i was doing things wrong
but i think if someone just decides youre an "ignorant noob" or whatever this asshole called me earlier, because you made a slight mistake, youd be pissed too
so thanks to the people who gave advice WITHOUT being a jerkoff about it
and i KNOW that 3 pedals will create a lot of screeching and ****, i was just asking if there was a way to remedy the feedback, because i want to attain the same tone without the feedback, but havent found another way

p.s:
the 2 half riffs/whatever were recorded with a totally different setup
well, thanks to ESP_shredder, especially for bein cool about it
and dude, i have to be honest, this last post- i have no idea what the hell it means
elaborate?
Quote by mr synyster g
do people listen?
i thank all those who gave POSITIVE feedback, even if i was told i was doing things wrong
but i think if someone just decides youre an "ignorant noob" or whatever this asshole called me earlier, because you made a slight mistake, youd be pissed too
so thanks to the people who gave advice WITHOUT being a jerkoff about it
and i KNOW that 3 pedals will create a lot of screeching and ****, i was just asking if there was a way to remedy the feedback, because i want to attain the same tone without the feedback, but havent found another way

p.s:
the 2 half riffs/whatever were recorded with a totally different setup

you sir, are an idiot.

The only way to remedy that feedback is to remove those pedals (except for the tubescreamer) and use the amps natural distorsion. that's what we've been trying to tell you, but you won't listen.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
and you sir, are a **** talking asshole
people dont seem to understand that there is a WAY TO GIVE FEEDBACK WITHOUT INSULTING PEOPLE
ive already thanked people for the god ****ing advice, okay
i ACKNOWLEDGED everyones advice damn it
i said i dont care if you tell me im wrong with the pedals or whatever the ****, but im tired of being insulted for no reason
im done with this goddamn site
its so full of assholes its unbelievable
did you not read the entire post that you quoted?
i THANKED people for their valuable advice, and told off people that gave good advice that came packaged with an insult
just because somebody makes a mistake doesnt give you the right to insult him
and i know you wouldnt say that to my face anyway, youre doing it from the safety of your computer chair, where you know i cant get to you
but if i could, i would beat the **** out of some of you for what youve said
so once again, thank you to the people who gave advice WITHOUT insulting me for no good reason, and **** you to the all the dick heads on this thread
Yeesh.

Defensive.

But yeah, it really boils down to high gain = feedback prone. Getting a gate could help, but pulling some of that extraneous OD pedal action could also help. Honestly, I'd pick one of your OD's to trade out for a gate, and use more of the amps natural distortion.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
see?
this guy is cool
and thanks for the advice, im actually in the process of looking for a gate right now
Just remember that there really is such a thing as too much distortion. You want it to be crushing, but not muddy, I'm thinking. Right now, you've got mud. You need to "dry it up" some. Odds are you can get a nice crushing tone using a single OD with the natural distortion on the amp, and with that sort of set up, a gate could easily help remedy feedback problems.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 3