Page 1 of 2
Ok this is basically for anyone who's moved to a different country or place where you have had to speak another language or with a different accent.

What does your mind's voice sound like?

I've had some interesting topics with people who've immigrated to other places before.

I'm originally from South Africa so my accent was very British with a hint of dutch, but 5 years ago I moved to America and since then I've had to pick up an American accent when talking to people who are American otherwise people just don't understand the accent or think everything I say is funny. But at home I still talk with an accent and my mind's voice is also in a British accent.

My family has a friend who's a doctor from Brazil, he originally grew up in Germany but has lived more than half his life in Brazil so he obviously speaks Portuguese. Whenever he comes and stays with us he speaks in English and he speaks it well. I asked him the question about when he thinks what language does he think in and he said he still thinks in German.

I also one of my best friends is Jamaican and if you didn't know Jamaicans speak in a very different accent and very very fast so it sounds like they're speaking another language in itself. He also says he has to change his accent and speak very slow in order for Americans to understand him. But he too thinks in his mind in his original accent.

So, do you think your mind's voice ever changes from childhood?

I just think this is an interesting topic, so share your experiences or opinions.

edit - also an interesting thing, in every dream I remember I always talk with my original accent.
Quote by Audio™
I'm originally from South Africa so my accent was very British with a hint of dutch

I'm already lost.
My voice in my head has a higher influx than what I produce outwardly, and is clearer as well as my speech very occasionally gets sloppy (although general consensus of people who know me say I speak really well).

Apart from that, my voice alters between who I'm with or my state and I don't have much of an accent beyond English... I occasionally get asked where I come from, even in my home town.
i heard my voice on a video that i recorded the other month. i didn't know it was me.
my voice is deep and doesn't have any 'soul' you could say.

my voice breaks if i try and speak/sing high.

the voice in my head as i'm reading what you've writen and what i'm writing is far different to what i actually sound like. it's actually a fairly high voice.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I'm already lost.

Well your from England so you should know, South Africa is one of your long lost colonies.

There are white people there you know :rolleyes
I live in an english city for University (Ottawa), yet, I think in french.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
TS can you speak africaans? How does it sound? I've often wondered this, seeing as it's a North Germanic language that's pretty much totally isolated from the rest of them
Quote by Audio™
Well your from England so you should know, South Africa is one of your long lost colonies.

There are white people there you know :rolleyes

Yes but I was pretty sure people living in South Africa had south african accents, not "british" accents.
And then there's the whole "wtf is a british accent" because Britain has sh*t loads of different accents.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
TS can you speak africaans? How does it sound? I've often wondered this, seeing as it's a North Germanic language that's pretty much totally isolated from the rest of them

I used to be able to speak it basically, I was still learning when I left and since then i've learned spanish so it kinda kicked it out of my brain.

I can generally understand it if people speak to me but i can't speak it myself.

Yeah it's very dutch mixed with some german.

Like if you learn it you can definitely speak with german and dutch people but it'll sound like broken English if you know what I mean, and it has some regional made-up words just like every other culture.

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Yes but I was pretty sure people living in South Africa had south african accents, not "british" accents.
And then there's the whole "wtf is a british accent" because Britain has sh*t loads of different accents.

Ok I see, I thought u were just confused about the Africa part

All my family from my moms side are pretty much straight from England, and my dads mom is from Scotland and his dad is from Ireland, so I don't have a regular South Africa accent, it's alot more British than most South Africans. I can't pin point which one exactly since there are so many different regions in Britain and i've only been there a couple times.
Last edited by Audio™ at May 15, 2008,
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Many phonological features are the same as British RP, it's only vowel length that's different. Comparing accents like British and American you see lots more differences like substituting /t/ for /d/ mid word (wadderr) dropping it mid word (winter/winnerr) Rhoticity (pronounciation of /r/)... SA accent is much more similar to British RP.

Quote by Audio™
I used to be able to speak it basically, I was still learning when I left and since then i've learned spanish so it kinda kicked it out of my brain.

I can generally understand it if people speak to me but i can't speak it myself.

Yeah it's very dutch mixed with some german.

Like if you learn it you can definitely speak with german and dutch people but it'll sound like broken English if you know what I mean, and it has some regional made-up words just like every other culture.

That's cool, I've often wondered what it sounds like
my dad's mother was born in northern ireland. i want a fecking irish accent.
my 'r' goes a bit funky sometimes.
like, when i say "really".
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Many phonological features are the same as British RP, it's only vowel length that's different. Comparing accents like British and American you see lots more differences like substituting /t/ for /d/ mid word (wadderr) dropping it mid word (winter/winnerr) Rhoticity (pronounciation of /r/)... SA accent is much more similar to British RP.

Yeah my Mom and Dad always have trouble here talking to people, like whenever we're at a restaurant my mom will ask for water (waugh-ta) and they'll bring her tomato juice (Yeah I have no idea either)
Quote by Audio™

I'm originally from South Africa

So am I!
South Africa FTW.

Um. My thinking voice is very much like my own, but not as deep, and it pronounces its words alot better.
My talking voice... Think of peter steel with a canadian accent.

Yeah I can always talk better in my mind, but when it comes out it just sounds stupid lol.

I find the human mind so interesting, it's just crazy.

Human thought is the most unnatural thing on this earth
Quote by Audio™

Yeah I can always talk better in my mind, but when it comes out it just sounds stupid lol.

I find the human mind so interesting, it's just crazy.

Human thought is the most unnatural thing on this earth

Yeah. Or when I sing/scream/growl, I can sound alot higher and whatnot (as well as low), but my natural talking voice is really deep. And the messed up part, to me it sounds a tiny pitch higher than it sounds for everyone else, so in reality it's even deeper.
My minds voice is a rather sexy singer and its female... but im a guy and im straight

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
i don't really know...

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
my minds voice pretty much has followed my normal voice.

my normal voice has gone from like a bristol accent to essex to scouse so my voice is a bit weird

once a teacher asked me if i was from south africa but i have no idea why he thought i sounded like that
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
I'm so abusively jealous. I want a british accent RIGHT NOW I love UK. Why am I canadian?
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I don't think my mind has a voice. I don't think using words and stuff...

am i weird?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
My mind seems to think in an american accent. I think it's because of all the american music I listen to. My voice is a pretty normal English accent.
my normal voice is a chicago accent. my mind's voice has an undertone of a seattle/pacific northwest accent and a california surfer speech pattern.
interesting huh?
My mind's voice imitates my physical voice. When I'm tired, my voice is tons, tons deeper than in regular conversation, and it is mirrored in my mind as such. When I'm not tired, it is slightly higher pitched than my normal speaking voice, because I myself find my normal voice hard to understand sometimes.

Also, it depends entirely if I'm thinking my own original ideas or remembering what someone said. If I'm remembering what someone said, it sounds exactly like them.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at May 15, 2008,
the voice in my head has developed a cockney accent, which is really weird because I've never been to Britain, let alone London. If I somehow start thinking in cockney rhyming slang I'm going to be pissed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
My voice is like mine, although less obviously Scottish. It's like someone with a Scottish accent who doesn't use slang or anything. I speak a bit like that in real life, depending on who I'm talking to. It also has an echo to it, which I don't understand lol.
Mines is an American Girl's.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
This gets my vote for most interesting thread I've seen in a long time.

My inner voice is almost always like a whisper unless I'm yelling at myself mentally. It has even more of a neutral accent than my speaking voice, which itself is already pretty darn neutral (no one can recognize any trace of regional identity by my voice).

Quote by TheBurningFish
Mines is an American Girl's.

Don't care if you are American or not (interesting if you aren't), but I really hope you are actually a girl (or lying). Otherwise my brain may explode trying to imagine what your thought process experience is like.
My mind's voice is constantly on speed.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by bajeda
This gets my vote for most interesting thread I've seen in a long time.

My inner voice is almost always like a whisper unless I'm yelling at myself mentally. It has even more of a neutral accent than my speaking voice, which itself is already pretty darn neutral (no one can recognize any trace of regional identity by my voice).

Don't care if you are American or not (interesting if you aren't), but I really hope you are actually a girl (or lying). Otherwise my brain may explode trying to imagine what your thought process experience is like.

Scottish boy. I was raised in a house of girls, and I suppose I am pretty effeminate. I even look girly

Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
And the messed up part, to me it sounds a tiny pitch higher than it sounds for everyone else, so in reality it's even deeper.

Thats weird. Isn't everyone supposed to perceive their own voice as being deeper than it actually is? (can't remember physiological basis for this, been a while since the class I heard this in).

Anyone know?
Quote by bajeda
Thats weird. Isn't everyone supposed to perceive their own voice as being deeper than it actually is? (can't remember physiological basis for this, been a while since the class I heard this in).

Anyone know?

I'm not sure, but my voice always sounds higher to me than to other people/recordings.

In answer to the thread, I can't actually place a specific voice on my mind. When I read, I don't pronounce the words in my head, I just sort of look at the words themselves, so I don't think in a voice style (unless my brain is just mute).
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by bajeda

Anyone know?

When I listen to my voice recorded it's alot more nassally (however it's spelt) and alot more local sounding that I here it.

The accent of my mind's voice is the voice of Solid Snake.
My minds voice, changes alot.Most of the time its the same as mine, just that its a bit higher, and can it can sing like a pro...while i can't But then there are times, where it speaks in an english or irish accent :/ .. it sounds cool ...i want an english accent >_>
Quote by dillonrips7

I like to pretend I'm Johnny Depp, and scissor away at my crotch.

Quote by _InsanitY_
holy **** awesome win right there

Quote by Shadowenspirit
/win!
Page 1 of 2