Hey

So I have a marshall dsl100 amp and i recently bought a reverend jetstream HB, which I've been heaps happy with except that it sounds pretty muddy and loose when I palm mute low chords with the gain past about 5 or 6 (I often play pretty heavy rock, like silverchair's grungy stuff). Otherwise the guitar sounds awesome. I played my 'jump start' package ibanez guitar (stock pickups) through the amp and (whilst the tone was pretty bad) it sounded hotter and a fair bit tighter/crisper with the palm muting. I also used to play my brother's gibson SG and never had this problem. I've been reading up on this forum heaps and I figured it could be any of the following:

- the reverend just isn't really suited to heavy rock
- its pickups aren't that good or aren't suited to what I play
- since the ibanez is a pretty bright/trebly sounding guitar and the reverend
has a mahogany body, this gives it too much bass and makes it muddy
- the reverend's chambered mahogany body might make it not so good for high gain
- i need an OD or EQ pedal (although I'd rather sort out the guitar rather than
complicate my pedalboard)

What do you reckon? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Eddie
a 7 band eq could help clear up the muddiness or new pickups. It really doesn't have alot to do with the mahogony as far as muddiness goes. Sure it's a dark sounding wood, but with good pickups, it can be dark and crisp at the same time. Also you are playing a Marshall and they are a little muddy to begin with. I say get an EQ, either a 7 or a 10 band, and monkey with that. It would be the most cost effective.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Some research tells me that there is a "bass contour" knob on your guitar.. have you tried playing with that?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 15, 2008,
yeah but that doesn't really do all that much more than dropping the bass on the amp
and i've played around with the settings on the amp a bit but it still sounds pretty loose
Hey guys,

This might be a bit of a n00by comment, but it seems you guys are missing the obvious solution - couldn't you just try using a thinner plectrum??

n00b-182
Quote by n00b-182
Hey guys,

This might be a bit of a n00by comment, but it seems you guys are missing the obvious solution - couldn't you just try using a thinner plectrum??

n00b-182

Thinner plectrums actually produce a flabbier tone.

It could be string gauge. Try upping the gauge.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
yeah i thought of that but the strings aren't really any looser on the reverend than on the ibanez (same gauge, i use 10-52), which sounded crisper. or would string gauge still make a reasonable difference anyway?
Obvious one here, but lower your EQ so that it's all centered around 5 before doing anything else to it. Keep the mids dial in place and just cut/boost the highs and lows around it.

DSL100 IS tube, right?
"A guitar is just like a hard teddy, isn't it?" - DAAAAAAAN BAKER
yeah tube
i gave it a shot but it didn't help a lot. There seems to always be just a slightly lingering sound after i palm mute the low power chords, so instead of having a 'chug' sound i've got a 'bleggghh' haha. could it just be that the guitar needs a set up? there's a little bit of fret buzz so could that be the culprit?
otherwise are there any good/affordable EQs that would do the job? i've read that the MXR 10-band is sick but it would be awesome if there were any decent ones for less cause I'm on a freakin tight budget these days!
Quote by johnsytryhard
presence - 8, treble - 6, mid - 9, bass - 7
Is this out of ten? Turn them all down by two or three and then tweak slightly.
I just had another thought...

you said you tried a different guitar, but what if you tried a different guitar and different amp together? That might solve it?

And if you're looking for new gear - I highly recommend you try my rig. It has a pretty damn impressive sound for heavy rock stuff like nickelback!!!

We should jam some time!

n00b-182

Yamaha Pacifica
Marshall G10 MKII Practice Amp
pretty thick plectrums!! ROFL!
Quote by smb
Is this out of ten? Turn them all down by two or three and then tweak slightly.

Yeah the thing is i've spent ages fiddling with my amp settings lately but i think it's more to do with the guitar because it's just the certain characteristics of the sound that stay the same no matter what settings i've got. So maybe it's that i need crisper pickups or even an OD to make it sound tighter? I probably would prefer to have slightly higher gain if anything, and since i can't afford a better amp they might be good options. What do you reckon?

and to n00b-182, thanks but i'm sticking with my amp for now. the 'pretty thick plectrums' sound pretty sweet though.. haha
I think i'm much better at strumming alternately with the thicker plectrums. I'm getting to be a pretty good guitarist. Do you wanna jam sometime? Sounds like we both have similar interests in heavy alternative rock and quality gear!!

I live in the Dandenong Ranges, outer-Melbourne area if you're interested in jamming in person? Alternatively we could jam over skype or something? do you use msn? lol

My advice may be invaluable in solving your muddiness dilemma! rofl

Quote by n00b-182
I just had another thought...

you said you tried a different guitar, but what if you tried a different guitar and different amp together? That might solve it?

And if you're looking for new gear - I highly recommend you try my rig. It has a pretty damn impressive sound for heavy rock stuff like nickelback!!!

We should jam some time!

n00b-182

Yamaha Pacifica
Marshall G10 MKII Practice Amp
pretty thick plectrums!! ROFL!

I'm pretty sure a marshall practice amp isn't a "pretty damn impressive sound".. not to mention you WILL be drowned out by a tube amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by johnsytryhard
yeah i thought of that but the strings aren't really any looser on the reverend than on the ibanez (same gauge, i use 10-52), which sounded crisper. or would string gauge still make a reasonable difference anyway?

Depends. The reverend could have a shorter scale, which would result in a flabbier tone, but I don't know what the scale length of that guitar is. If that's the case then upping the string gauge would indeed help.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
i was about to say to turn down the presence, then i remembered that the resonence nob is the post-pre-amp bass sound thing.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Have you tried messing with the "Deep" switch on the amp, then readjusting your bass on the EQ.
guitar has a 25 1/2" scale and yeah i've tried the deep switch thing but i'm pretty sure it's more to do with the guitar