I got a gibson Explorer and by faR IT IS THE BEST GUITAR i HAVE EVER PLAYED. But anyway I really like to use whammy bars, because they sound so awesome. Is there anywhere that I could send my guitar to get a floyd rose original tremolo installed? I really want one. But buying a new guitar is just stupid. I am saving for an amp anyways.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
You could get that done...but its gunna be expensive, not to mention it would hurt the tone by cutting a big piece of the wood out...
Quote by What_is_my_name
I got a gibson Explorer and by faR IT IS THE BEST GUITAR i HAVE EVER PLAYED. But anyway I really like to use whammy bars, because they sound so awesome. Is there anywhere that I could send my guitar to get a floyd rose original tremolo installed? I really want one. But buying a new guitar is just stupid. I am saving for an amp anyways.

I wouldn't dream of routing a beautiful Gibson XPlorer to fit a FR; instead, I'll cruise evilBay or CraigsList to buy an Epi with a FR. They do come up:

routing it is the only option, you'll lose some tone due to the loss of mass, and its gonna be expensive. but if you love this guitar then the price doesn't matter. the only question to ask is, is the slight loss in tone worth the use of the whammy bar?
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by Raider76
You could get that done...but its gunna be expensive, not to mention it would hurt the tone by cutting a big piece of the wood out...

+1.

Just get a guitar with a trem already built in, saves you much hassle of modding your Explorer.
Gibson's GOTM next month is the shred X Explorer, with a FR (I think; it could just be a licensed tremolo) and EMGS for TEH BR00TAL MUSIK.

I'm thinking of getting one myself.
dear god, how many times have i seen this. routing some of the guitar off won't make you lossesez the brooot4l toneerz

i'd say, if you can get ahold of a router, do it yourself, you may surprise yourself. and save you a ton of money from what shops charge, plus the actual cost of a FR system. It won't be cheap. but is it worth it? you decide on that.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
look into a kahler instead of an OFR.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
The 'loss of tone' would be so minimal it's not worth mentioning. If you can 'buy' FR version of the guitar, it's not much different than that area of wood missing from one that's been routed. How do you think the factory removes that piece? If you do it, make damn sure you know what you're doing and use a guide or it's not going to be a clean cut into the body and it'll look like sh*t. If you've ever used a router you know they kind of feel like a gyro (no, not the sandwich :p and sort of move all over the place because of the centrifugal force of the spinning motor / cutting blade. So a router guide or unbelievably steady hands are extremely important. At the very least, go to your local music store and at least talk with a luthier about it first. See what their prices are to do it. I'm guessing it'll be pretty expensive, very likely at the VERY least it'd be about $150-$200 for them to do it. If that's too expensive, I'm sure he / she will give you a few tips. Keep in mind a new OFR runs almost $200 but, you can probably find them slightly cheaper on eBay used. So it'd run you about $350-$400 for the FR and the install with a luthier. Honestly, at that point, you're almost better off just finding another one that already has one installed. So, you can do it yourself with a TON of prep work and caution. Either that or trade yours if you want a trem bar that bad or buy an additional guitar with one already installed.

Personally, I wouldn't try the router option yourself. Too much risk to me.
if you just want vibrato and dont need to do divebombs and stuff get a maestro tailpiece trem. they're so beautiful. oh and you can bend up on bigsbys and like trem bridges i think the B-3000 would look ok on an explorer.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by Someone18
Gibson's GOTM next month is the shred X Explorer, with a FR (I think; it could just be a licensed tremolo) and EMGS for TEH BR00TAL MUSIK.

I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Actually it's a Kahler. Some view them as better than OFRs, some not so much. I believe they have a bit less range than an OFR or proper LFR. Also, it's an EMG 85/85 set, instead of the more standardized 81/85 set. The 85 in the bridge will have a bit less output than the 81, but it's still a very nice pickup. Some prefer the 85 in the bridge, actually. However you look at it, the Shred X and Shred V look like awesome guitars.

TS, like others have said. It's usually not worth it to pay to put a big hole in an otherwise perfect guitar just to add a Floyd. It's almost always a better option to buy a cheaper guitar with a locking trem already installed.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
There is no use in doing that to a perfectly good Gibson Explorer...those things cost to much to f*ck with like that
Don't mess with it even if you are confident installing a FR. By the sounds of things you already have guitars with whammy bars so just use them.
if you want a whammy bar effect you can always do the randy rhoads thing and push the main body of the guitar in,just above the neck, and then push the neck out...think I described that well
Quote by alex-led-zepp91
Don't mess with it even if you are confident installing a FR. By the sounds of things you already have guitars with whammy bars so just use them.
if you want a whammy bar effect you can always do the randy rhoads thing and push the main body of the guitar in,just above the neck, and then push the neck out...think I described that well

Terrible for your guitar.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Well, if you have the money, get an Epiphone futura FX.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.