Okay, so I understand there's a hella lot of hate goin round about the marshall MG100 FX modal, but I have to ask, why??? And dont juts say 'Coz they're crap'.
I upgraded from my squire 50w practice to my 100w MG and I have to say, I've never been happier. Sure I'd love a Mesa head or a Marshall twin stack but I only had £300 at the time. The built in effects are usefull, its loud as hell and it sounds awsome to boot. Maybe I have on off a 'good batch' maybe? Maybe some of them are bad, but mine...i honestly wouldnt get rid of it. So what's the big deal? I'd rather IT than any Line 6 piece of flashy crap.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
If by "sounds awesome" you mean "sounds like bees in a tin can being thrown off of a building into a river and floating downstream and over a waterfall" then I would be inclined to agree.....

Also,

Coz they're crap

Seriously:
Look, I am not going to bash you as a guitarist just because you own an MG. I am sure you are a great guitarist, but I think that if you had 300 GBP to spend, you should have spent it on a better amp. That's all. We all make choices, and we learn from our mistakes.

You will eventually get to a point where it does not cut it any more, and you want an actual toneful amp, and you will say the same thing.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at May 15, 2008,
man, i have an MG too, to be fair, the 100 is the best of the MG line, but it still falls short when compared to ANY tube amp. i used to think my MG sounded pretty good, especially after upgrading from the crappy 10 watt that came with my guitar, but that was before i played on a "real" amp. go to your local GC or guitar store, try out a couple lower end tube amps, like the Valveking series or anything by Blackheart.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
from what ive seen people say, i would have to agree to MG sounds like crap, but then again..most of use who have never played a tube amp would think a spider III or MG series sounds WONDERFUL, when in reality...no....

just the hard truth

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Every time I'm stuck in the unenviable position of having to play through an MG, I find it hard to push any significant amount of distortion without the amp sounding buzzy. I also find the cleans to be very sterile and flat, and not nearly as responsive to EQ tweaks as I'd like in an amp. I do have to say though, some of the low to mid gain tones they can create have surprised me, I wouldn't put them on par with a lot of other amps, but they were certainly better than certain amps I've played around with before.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
the distortion channel is horrible.

and i've got one.

wah.

using a pod xt through it and a hell of a lot of EQ makes it just it about bearable.

and by through it i mean the CD in jack.

ergh.
Honestly, have you ever played a tube amp?
You'll kick your mg in the speaker after you do!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Hey Bro..go against the grain! If you are happy with a MG...enjoy, that's what it is really all about! ...Actually. I heard all the trash talk about MG's and recently went to GC (Loaded to ceiling with them) and tried one out. Not as bad as people make them out to be IMHO.

Even though I don't consider myself a gear snob, I personally like the sounds of tube amps more. Again....just enjoy what you have for now. Eventually (like all of us) you will have another, and then another amp - just a matter of time and $$$. Peace
Let's put things into perspective.
Is the MG a good series of amps? No, they will probably be remembered as a "what where they thinking" moment from Marshall, but this particular model has something good to be said about it: It's CHEAP. For an entry level guitarist it's a good choice since it allows him to have a 100W head instead of relying on something different at every rehearsal or gig, and in my opinion having your own gear in those situations (even if it's not the best) helps you craft your sound or at least learn how to reach that goal. Now as for the "you haven't played a valve amp" comments, I believe that valves don't make necessarily an amp better. Sure the best amps you can find in this world are valve ones, yet If i have to choose between that MG and certain valve amps like the Carvin Legacy or certain Laney models I'd go for the MG since no matter how crappy it's more controllable and doesn't require a whole rack of gear to get something out of it.
And besides even Dimebag almost untill the end relied on a solid state amp, and you can't say anything bad about his tone.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
Quote by SylKain
And besides even Dimebag almost untill the end relied on a solid state amp, and you can't say anything bad about his tone.

[raises hand] Ummm......actually.......[/raises hand]
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
i had a mg microstack, wasnt a huge losss, only cost me about £150 or so, sold it on the bay for £90. It was a downright terrible amp im glad to see the back of it.

The main issues with MGs is the fact that you pick up a cheapo practice one, they arent bad amps, but again you could do better, you also have to consider about half the price you paid goes onto the marshall logo on the front of the amp. When you start getting into the area of 100 watt halfstacks, thats where youve majorly ****ed up.

If you personally like the MGs tone, which you may do, its your opinion, no one has your ears, keep it, youre not harming anyone, and it deffinately increases your dick. But I saved £300 for a 30 watt all valve laney combo, which is 100x the true marshall that my MG could ever aspire to be.
Quote by Kendall
[raises hand] Ummm......actually.......[/raises hand]

QFT....QF fing T
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
if there is any question regarding reasons, the only one should be, why do you guys post so many "why does my amp suck? its really cool, so why?"?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by damnedone
Hey Bro..go against the grain! If you are happy with a MG...enjoy, that's what it is really all about! ...Actually. I heard all the trash talk about MG's and recently went to GC (Loaded to ceiling with them) and tried one out. Not as bad as people make them out to be IMHO.

Even though I don't consider myself a gear snob, I personally like the sounds of tube amps more. Again....just enjoy what you have for now. Eventually (like all of us) you will have another, and then another amp - just a matter of time and $$$. Peace

+1. I've certainly made decisions i regretted later. I'm not going to bash your decision necessarily but I played thru the 50 wattr version (MG250 i think) yesterday just to see what all the fuss was about. the guy actually stood there with me and changed the setting while i played so i could get a quick summary.

again, no offense, but the distortion channel really sounded like two pieces of tin foil being rubbed back and forth.

i would say that if you are into heavy metal or death metal and play in a band then i could see why people would buy this amp for the 300 or whatever you spent. i got off solid state amps a while ago and i'm never turning back.

;
searchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbarsearchbar.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by beckyjc
... youre not harming anyone, and it deffinately increases your dick....

anyone else take that in a bizzare context? Love a good debate, and I'll be looking for a marshall tube at some point anyway. Thanks for the opinions, I appreiciate it, and yes, searchbar, point taken.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
The BIG issue is that for the $500 it takes to buy say a MG250DFX you can get a decent tube amp. See that's tone ++. People seem to see Marshall and 100w and cream themselves. Only to find out later that what they actually bought wasn't worth it.

I have a MG250DFX, it's not mine but it's been at my house for quite some time. I actually enjoy playing on it. I'm guessing most of the people here who are bashing the MG "tone" haven't sat down and actually played with one for a substantial amount of time. If you take the time you can get a good sound out an MG. For a solid state an MG is pretty decent.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at May 15, 2008,
if it sounds good to you, who cares? people have different tastes and if u like how your MG sounds then just be happy with it and don't care what others say about it.

but as someone above me already said you'll come to a point when you know more about amps and you start searching for "your tone". then you will realise that your MG isn't as good as you first thought. the reason why people bash it is because for that money you could have gotten yourself a nice little tube amp which sounds at least twice as good.

ppl just get fooled by the big "marshall". hell even i thought about buying it when i first started playing electric guitar because i didn't know ****. i just thought "oh... marshall.. i heard about that before. all the big guitarists i know use or used marshalls. lets just look for the cheapest marshall u can find. if it's a marshall it sure has a good sound!" luckily i checked the forum before and didn't buy it :P

got the chance to play it a couple of times at my local guitar store and well... especially after i got my twin reverb i realised how bad that MG really sounds..

but well as stated above. if you're happy with it, enjoy it. play it till you get sick of it and then get a new amp
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
Hooray for marshall MGs they stop half the world sounding better than me
Shut up and play your guitar!