Just curious why it is that in tabs the low E string is placed at the bottom, yet when I'm playing my guitar it is the string at the top.

At times its a bitch to keep track of which string I'm supposed to be on cause the diagrams for tabs are the opposite of how my guitar looks when I look down at the fretboard as I'm playing!

Is there a reason they were designed:
e
B
G
D
A
E

instead of:

E
A
D
G
B
e

?
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
cause that's how you look down at your fretboard.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
lay your guitar on your lap and look at the fretboard

problem solved
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by Aitrus
Just curious why it is that in tabs the low E string is placed at the bottom

?

Answered your own question there kiddo, LOW E on the BOTTOM, it's just the correlation between high-low strings and what you see when you read the tab

high = top
low = bottom
Quote by DiveRightIn63
cause that's how you look down at your fretboard.

+1, unless you have a left handed guitar you're playing right handed, or vice-versa.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
yeah because thats how you look down, and because it would be stupid to call it low and put it on the top...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by +the betrayal+
left handed players have it the opposite way

Even if they're left handed the strings are still in the same order unless you're going hendrix on us.
As mentioned, by many others its how the strings are actually arranged.

On guitar, the TOP string is actually the bottom, or lowest string (sounding), and the bottom string is actually the highest.

Guitar is reversed.

Going UP in strings physically requires you to go DOWN on the fretboard towards the floor. And the reverse is true for going DOWN in notes or tone; you actually are going physically up from the floor on the fretboard.

Same for the neck. Going UP the neck (smaller frets), requires you to physically go DOWN towards the guitar body. Going DOWN the neck towards the headstock (larger frets) physically requires you to go UP.

Just think of it terms of high or low sound and it shouldnt be confusing.
Um, who plays with the guitar sitting face up on their lap?

When you actually play and look down at fretboard, the string closest to your face is the "low E" and the one closest to your feet is "high E". So looking at it from top (your head) to bottom (your feet) its the opposite of how tabs are written :S

I understand the cocnept I guess of putting the lower notes at the bottom of the tab, but on the guitar the lowest string is the highest on the fretboard :/

Was told tabs were made for lazy stoners who don't want to learn how to read music, so surprised that the design of a tab wouldn't mirror the fretboard when you look at it as you play.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
Not really. Hold the guitar like you're playing and look at it from your perspective (not as someone looking from the front) as a 2D drawing. The E string would be on the bottom of that drawing and the e string would be on top.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
http://www.hulubei.net/tudor/photography/photos/P/l/Playing-Guitar-1500x1000.jpg

No matter which side you're standing on, the "top" are the low E, (then A) strings and the "bottom" is the high E (then B) strings.

Just to be clear that I'm not imagining this and/or my guitar (and every guitar I've ever played) aren't strung upside down.

I can live with tabs being "upside down" because they are drawn with the low notes at the bottom and high notes at the top... but to suggest its the same on a guitar when you're playing it is just... wrong.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
You don't look at it from that angle when you're playing, though - if you lean over and look at the fretboard when you're holding the guitar, the high E string (nearest the floor) is furthest away from you, and the strings are in the order shown on the tablature, going "down" towards your point of view.

I was actually confused by which way round tabs were written when I first started out, too - but once you teach yourself to read them, they make a lot of sense. (I'm not sure who told you that it's a "lazy" way to write music, either - it's certainly a physical notation rather than a musical one, but it's one that's suited to the instrument.)
Ah I think I understand what you mean about the notes, I'm thinking of "up" and "down" relative to the ground and the sky, not the angle from which I'm looking at it necessarily. Even though the high E string is farthest away from my eyes when I look at the fretboard while playing, I still consider it the bottom.

Anywho, tabs are written so low notes are at the bottom high notes are at the top, 'nuff said.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
don't think of it as height off the ground, think of it as pitch. top string should mean high E string, and bottom string should be low E string, because high E is higher in pitch than low E.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards

Ok, chiming in on the topic in 2017.  I read through all the posts.  Unless I missed something, it seems as if everyone is talking about looking at their guitar, on their lap, or whatever.   We are 'looking' at the TAB.  As we should be.

Looking at the TAB, (or Standard Notation) helps us to get a 'feel' for the fretboard.  Looking back and forth sucks, as it' is so easy to loose your place on the within the written music. 

TAB is really just a 'picture' of the guitar.  (if there are 6 strings, there are 6 lines, 7 string guitars have 7 lines...etc)
Standard musical notation is a 'graph' of high and low notes (frequencies).

My thought on the subject is that TAB is upside down.  It should have the low E on the top.  That is the way the guitar is.  When you watch a guitarist play, where is their low E?   On top, of course.  When you look at TAB,  it is as if you are 'watching someone play'.  That is how it should be.  TAB is a "picture' of the guitar.  (moving through time)

I am a guitar teacher, and EVERY beginner that looks at TAB the first time, assumes the Low E is the top line.  That alone, says volumes.

Either way, we adapt!
Thanks,
Bob
Quote by Exodus04
Even if they're left handed the strings are still in the same order unless you're going hendrix on us.

Hendrix's guitars were strung the same as regular left handed guitars are so it wouldn't make any difference.

Tablature is in fact a lot older than standard notation and versions of it for various instruments can be dated back to the Middle Ages.

For fretted string instruments, having the string that is the highest pitch at the top of the stave makes complete sense as this is how we perceive high and low sounds. This can sometimes cause problems when learning other instruments such as ukulele or banjo where the string nearest to your nose is not the lowest pitch. However, if you already understand the concept of the string order used in TAB, then it's not an issue.
Why does it matter if it's 9 years old? It's still relevant. It's not like we're discussing the benefits of CDs over cassettes or anything.