Ok well my pickups are F*CKED up on my Rg350dx. Nothing the shop will do either. I apparently need new ones. So what would you suggest? I need 2 humbuckers and a single coil, although only the bridge pickup is broken. I was thinking EMG's. But I know close to nothing about pickups. And Active pickups?? whats that? something with a battery? But anyway I need pickups that will really get me those nice pinch harmonics and heavy metal sound.

thanks in advance.

-Tom
Yes my name is Tom Petty.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
(crappy)RED Marshall Mg100hdfx Halfstack
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
EMG 81's for metal. Or some Seymour Duncan invaders, but go for the EMG's.

Active pickups requires a 9v battery, yes. No big deal, though. I change mine twice a year or so.
Gear:

ESP Eclipse See Thru Black/Cherry
ESP LTD M-200FM
BC Rich Warlock NJ Neck Thru Series
Peavey 5150 head and cab
Boss GT-8
Line 6 PODxt
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Jazz III picks (black)
Arte Sania acoustic
You don't need new pickups.

You have a wiring problem, night be a dodgy solder joint, micht be a dicky component like a pot or switch but the one certainty is that there's not actually anything wrong with the pickup itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Installing Actives in a guitar that was passive to begin with can sometimes lead to complications. Firstly where to mount the battery? Most guitars with actives as stock will have a battery compatment routed in the back somwhere. Is there room in the existing cavities for a 9v or maybe even 2 9v batteries(look up 18v mod).

Also you will need to have all the pickups replaced with actives as you cant mix active and passive circuits. There are plenty of high output passive pickups out there, you will have a lot more choice of what to buy and most importantly you wont sound like every other little f**ker with EMG's who think they are the be all and end all of metal pickups. Check out the dimarzio sites pickup selector and see what it thinks you could use.

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Installing Actives in a guitar that was passive to begin with can sometimes lead to complications. Firstly where to mount the battery? Most guitars with actives as stock will have a battery compatment routed in the back somwhere. Is there room in the existing cavities for a 9v or maybe even 2 9v batteries(look up 18v mod).

Also you will need to have all the pickups replaced with actives as you cant mix active and passive circuits. There are plenty of high output passive pickups out there, you will have a lot more choice of what to buy and most importantly you wont sound like every other little f**ker with EMG's who think they are the be all and end all of metal pickups. Check out the dimarzio sites pickup selector and see what it thinks you could use.

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

Why do you think people buy EMG's? It's because they sound good. If you're afraid to be "like everyone else," because it's not "cool enough" then it's your problem, sir.
Gear:

ESP Eclipse See Thru Black/Cherry
ESP LTD M-200FM
BC Rich Warlock NJ Neck Thru Series
Peavey 5150 head and cab
Boss GT-8
Line 6 PODxt
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Jazz III picks (black)
Arte Sania acoustic
EMG 81/85 combo. Or if u dont lyk using batteries, use an HZ and a P90 for the single coil.
Ok, well i was told by the"professional" at my local shop, "It's basically a dud"

and i have a big budget. And there isnt room for a battery. So I guess actives are outta the question.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
nstalling Actives in a guitar that was passive to begin with can sometimes lead to complications. Firstly where to mount the battery? Most guitars with actives as stock will have a battery compatment routed in the back somwhere. Is there room in the existing cavities for a 9v or maybe even 2 9v batteries(look up 18v mod).

pretty sure u can mix both
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
can you put actives on a les paul custom?

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
EMG's are gonna be costy
Due to having a pro do some routing and all

I say get some Duncan Invaders, Dimarzio D Activators.. or EMG HZ
But out of those I'd go with the D Activators.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd need to replace the potentiometers, and I believe there's enough room in the control cavity...So yes, you CAN.

With your current amp, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

everyone hates on marshall mg's here.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, that's not it at all. While it is a terrible amp....EMGs are designed to drive the front end of a tube amp hard. They're not going to interact with your MG in the same manner.

Basically beat me to it. You don't need a full pickup swap right now, you definitely need a new amp first. You may think you're amps alright and you can get better tone with new pups, but tone really comes mostly from the amp, so the improvement would be negligible compared to a new amp.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Get EHG HZ or DUNCAN BLACKOUTS theyare honestly the best for metal if you cant do active
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Equipment- Dime Crybaby From Hell
Korg PX4D Pandora

Drums- groove percussion set with zht cymbals and remo heads
Quote by tommyp484
can you put actives on a les paul custom?

Yes. In fact there's enough room for two batteries in the cavity if you're someone who wants to do an 18v mod..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
well, I JUST bought the marshall halfstack. I'd feel ridiculous if i sold it for another. Would just a new head be what i'm looking for?

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Well, you don't need to get a new amp, if you're okay with your tone.

Just bring your guitar a GOOD shop, that one is trying to make money off you by saying you absolutely need new pickups, when I can pretty much almost guarantee that your pickups are fine, and the wiring probly needs some touching up. If you want, if you have a multimeter, we could find out for sure if the pickups are 100% still operable.