Heres a nice mind twister for all of you

It start to rain exactly 5 pm and stop excactly 6 pm the same day.
you have a container outside when it start to rain so it fills with water.

Question. when did the water become half on the container

Conditions
every minute the water dobble its self.
and excactly 6 pm the contianier is full...

this is from my grand grand pa....
so think

sorry for my bad english......
wat
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
we dont know how BIG the container is? :S
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by TheDudeman
5:59. duh.

Buddah Bing!
We have a winner
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by TheDudeman

OH SHI-

He's right.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
aaaaaaaaw.. i failed
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Bricks were sh*t.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
well, we need to know how big the container is first, then we can work it out. and this is one of those questions where most people are gona see the word "half" and say 5:30pm!!! which is the wrong answer

EDIT: oh yea, 5:59, i was thinkin to deeply into this
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
i hate math. i'm normally good at the common sense math things though.
Quote by strider_hein
has many issues, you are a god!

Quote by they're red hot
Has Many Issues,
I worship and adore you.
Quote by TheDudeman
oh my god, idiot kids...you dont need to know how big the container is. the water ****ing doubles every minute. that means a minute before it was full, it was half.

well SORRY FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION.. no need to call me an idiot...
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Never. It never says there is anything in the container. If you double nothing... it's still nothing.

A little more realisticly... 59 minutes.

EDIT: Damn, I took a little to long thinking that through and got beat.
Quote by magvol
well SORRY FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION.. no need to call me an idiot...

haha i was jking...i edited it anyways. no harm bro, its early.
Quote by goatgodgarota
I don't get it.

Since it doubles every minute, half of wat is in it was in it the minute before. If its full it was half full at 5:59, quarter full at 5:58, one eighth full at 5:57...etc. The level of the water is 2^-(60-n) or 1/2^(60-n) where n is the minutes digit. Yeah... I took way to long thinking this through.
On the other hand if the container starts filling when it starts raining and we assume that it's full but also overflowing at 6:00 then it's actually full after about 7 minutes (5:07) and half full after 6 minutes (5:06) so for it to be full but not overflowing at 6:00 you'd have to start filling it (take the lid off, put it outside, whatever) at 5:53.

...I have too much time on my hands don't I?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
w8 if theres no water to start with then it would never get full because zero times two is still zero...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
On the other hand if the container starts filling when it starts raining and we assume that it's full but also overflowing at 6:00 then it's actually full after about 7 minutes (5:07) and half full after 6 minutes (5:06) so for it to be full but not overflowing at 6:00 you'd have to start filling it (take the lid off, put it outside, whatever) at 5:53.

...I have too much time on my hands don't I?

Exactly full implies that it is not overflowing though.

Quote by GiantRaven
So...how full was it when it started?

If it really is 5:59, then it would have been 1/1152921504606846976 full at 5:00.
This is where my idea of it never filling came from. The riddle never says there is anything in it to start, implying it is empty. If it is empty, then you are doubling nothing every minute. If you double nothing it's still nothing so how does it fill?
1/1152921504606846976 th if I'm right.

Quote by rjdusa
Exactly full implies that it is not overflowing though.

You assumed that it wasn't; I just thought of it the other way because it didn't say it wasn't overflowing

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how s that right im confused
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
how s that right im confused

Well if each minute before 6:00 it is half as full as it was at 6:00 then at 5:00 it was 1/ 2^60 of it's full capacity. I don't think that helps but I know I'm right.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by YngwieJnr
w8 if theres no water to start with then it would never get full because zero times two is still zero...

That's what i thought at first.
Quote by helper1234
What shape is the container?

It doesn't matter; assuming that the conditions stated in the first post are true the answer will always be the same.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

You assumed that it wasn't; I just thought of it the other way because it didn't say it wasn't overflowing

If it was overflowing it wouldn't be exactly full. The surface tension of the water would actually make the water level higher than the top of the container if it was overflowing .
Quote by TheDudeman

exactly :P
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It doesn't matter; assuming that the conditions stated in the first post are true the answer will always be the same.

I know that. I just wanted to post a random question that made no difference like the others.
That's some SERIOUS brutal rain in the last 1 min!!
Kinda almost as br00tal as RAINING BLOOD in GUITAR HERO III!!!
Quote by Tazeyo
That's some SERIOUS brutal rain in the last 1 min!!
Kinda almost as br00tal as RAINING BLOOD in GUITAR HERO III!!!

can i have some of watever you're smoking?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

5: 59 is the answer yehheeeeyyyyyyyy....

I asked my math thecaher and she thinked for it for a whole week then she give up.... lol
Quote by xxx_lionel_xxx

I asked my math thecaher and she thinked for it for a whole week then she give up.... lol

Pics or it didn't happen.
Quote by xxx_lionel_xxx

Then she shouldn't be teaching maths; this crap is beyond easy, it took me about 5 seconds to come up with the answer I gave and another 5 to come up with the amount it would have to start off with. Tell your head teacher so she gets fired or at least demoted.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Tazeyo
Pics or it didn't happen.

How the **** can I get a pic. Its almost a week id asked her. And why the sh!t should I take a pic when I am asking her,