Ok, so its basically the high-gain version of the origanl AD50VT, but can anyone tell me if the XL series is very versitile, and can it do lighter rock sort of tones?

thanks
Well this is just one person's opinion, but I thought the Vox XL series was bad, like really bad. I honestly prefer the Spider 3 over the Vox XL's. The reason? The tone was too muddy, no definition on the low end and with the treble maxed, it still wasn't there. The regular Vox models were fine though. A regular Vox AD and a distortion pedal would probably be what you are after. Otherwise you'll be looking at options above $500.
Quote by rhettro
The tone was too muddy, no definition on the low end and with the treble maxed, it still wasn't there

I have the AD30VT-XL and the problem is quite the opposite. Too much low end and not enough treble.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Toolfan11
Too much low end and not enough treble.

Isn't that what I said? LOL Maybe I could have been more clear. The XL has a lot of bass, but the bass it has is really muddy, no definition. Even when you turn the treble to the max, there still isn't enough treble. Plus maxing the treble doesn't bring anymore definition to the overall tone of the amp.
Quote by rhettro
Isn't that what I said? LOL Maybe I could have been more clear. The XL has a lot of bass, but the bass it has is really muddy, no definition. Even when you turn the treble to the max, there still isn't enough treble. Plus maxing the treble doesn't bring anymore definition to the overall tone of the amp.

It sounded like you said you maxed the treble to try to get more low end out of it.

But yes, I heard they were weak sounding compared to the advt series.
More liked maxed the treble to get any definition out of the low end, but it didn't happen. LOL
um DON'T pair distortion pedal w/ the vox. it wont sound good. i have tried it to see how it would sound and it's nothing too pleasing. at the most use an OD on a distortion amp model. though the amp models should handle up to everything under heavy metal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out