hi everyone.

I'm looking into purchasing a new guitar. I already have a fixed bridge guitar (Ibanez IC-400) and was looking into getting one with a trem system.

After some research on these forums, I know now that Edge III trems are terrible, which is a shame because I tried out the Ibanez RG350dx and loved it. So I looked for similar guitars with the same neck and dimensions, but better whammy.. and that's when i found out about the s470dxqm, which uses the ZR tremolo system.

So now I ask you this:

I've read up on this guitar and the general concensus is that the pickups will have to eventually be replaced. If I were to replace the pups on this guitar, what should I be looking at? I don't want EMG's, I want to get some passive ones. However I want hot pups which pick up harmonics easily.. and distortion is more important to me than cleans because I play mainly rock/metal.

The r470dxqm will cost me $746CDN after taxes.

so my questions are:
1) if I were to replace the pups, what should I be looking at?
and 2) are there any other guitars with an identical or better bridge with a lower price tag than the s470dxqm? Better pups would be a bonus too.

Thanks and sorry for the long post
Well, thats a good guitar. But if you want 24 frets, take a look at the new Ibanez S line,they have a few. DiMarzio pickups would be a good choice.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin
Well, thats a good guitar. But if you want 24 frets, take a look at the new Ibanez S line,they have a few. DiMarzio pickups would be a good choice.

Well to be honest, 24 frets aren't THAT important to me, and 22 will do just fine. But I checked the site and the only other S series guitars I see on Ibanez' website are:

s5470 prestige
s2170FB prestige
s2170FW prestige
s620EXQM
s520EX
s320
s7320

All of which have 22 frets. Should I be looking somewhere else?
There is the SV series that has 24 frets on standard s bodies, as for the pickups you could try some hot dimarzios like the Tone Zone or the D-Activator
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
It's a brilliant guitar for the price. I stuck a '59 in the neck, a JB in the bridge and an old DiMarzio singlecoil I had lying around in the middle. Nothing special but I use it as a backup and it sounds pretty good through my little Boogie combo.

For you I'd go for DiMazrios, Breeds and PAF Pros are good rock all-rounders though you could try an Evo or Fred in the bridge for a little more output.
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen

EDIT: If anyone has more suggestions/answers, please continue in this thread
Last edited by shadow21x at May 15, 2008,
For cheaper, you could try the S-320. Only it comes in black, and its H-H so you'll be missing the extra single coil. Its pretty much the same, just not as nice looking.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by shadow21x
Well to be honest, 24 frets aren't THAT important to me, and 22 will do just fine. But I checked the site and the only other S series guitars I see on Ibanez' website are:

s5470 prestige
s2170FB prestige
s2170FW prestige
s620EXQM
s520EX
s320
s7320

All of which have 22 frets. Should I be looking somewhere else?
The S5470 has 24.
Thanks for the help everyone.

kelvin I saw the 320 but the blue finish on the 470 just called me and I couldn't convince myself to get another black guitar (i already have an iceman, let's get some diversity in there ) but if they had more finishes I would have definitely taken that as the single coil doesn't really matter to me. But since it's there, I'm happy anyway.

I just put in the order today at my guitar store for the moon blue s470dxqm. I can't wait to get it, this is going to be the hardest 2-4 weeks of my life

Now to decide on my pups..
Well, you could have gotten the guitar with an edge 3, and gotten an OFR to replace it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.