What's the first step to learning how to make melodic Opeth style music. I want to learn all the weird jazz chords, do classical style fingerpicking stuff, etc.
Their song Patterns in the Ivy II is helping me. Great song, quite easy to pick up. I can just about play all of it, it's a good song to get going on. (The tab is on this site by the way).
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
check out youtube Mikael has some killer lessons up there, i also agree with these guys patterns in the ivy is a good starting point.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
check out youtube Mikael has some killer lessons up there, i also agree with these guys patterns in the ivy is a good starting point.

Looking forward to Watershed everyone?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by craggis19
Looking forward to Watershed everyone?

Absolutely. And I'm waiting not-so-patiently for the CD, instead of downloading it lol.

TS, maybe just try learning a bunch of Opeth songs, and get some jazz theory and chord books.
already heard the whole thing and its killer. i am so stoked to get my copy. its killin me to have to wait till the 3rd.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by which ones pink
Absolutely. And I'm waiting not-so-patiently for the CD, instead of downloading it lol.

TS, maybe just try learning a bunch of Opeth songs, and get some jazz theory and chord books.

Hah, I'm waiting till June also... it seems a long way off doesn't it?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Can't wait for Watershed. REALLY can't wait for it....

I started off with patterns in the Ivy and moved onto Face of Melinda and Windowpane soon thereafter. It's like an addiction for me.... can't stop playing Opeth.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.