I have two valve juniors (both heads). I attempted to mod the first amp with some resistor changes, and it was initially fine, it eventually developed a horrible background noise problem. Much more nasty then regular tube hiss. I replaced the stock parts, and accidentally pulled up a soldering pad in doing so. I have now used a little jumper to replace the soldering pad, but nothing I've done has made any difference.

Please check out the recording on my profile. I have no idea what is causing the noise, at first I thought the mod, then the bad pad, but I'm not so sure either is the problem now. The recording is very quiet, but the actual noise is much louder than the natural tube noise present in my other un-touched Valve junior. I've tried different tubes, different cabs, different cables, etc. so im sure it's an internal, non-tube problem.

GO ahead and crank your speakers to hear the pretty quiet recording, there is a crackling that fades in and out. Any and all help or even blind guesses as to what could be causing this terrible noise is appreciated. I really don't want to pay my local amp tech over $100 to service a $130 head.

Thanks!

edit* the recording might not help much, my mic didn't really capture the crackling sound very well. It is distinctly wavering and crackly, something different from just loud tube hiss.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I have two valve juniors (both heads). I attempted to mod the first amp with some resistor changes, and it was initially fine, it eventually developed a horrible background noise problem. Much more nasty then regular tube hiss. I replaced the stock parts, and accidentally pulled up a soldering pad in doing so. I have now used a little jumper to replace the soldering pad, but nothing I've done has made any difference.

Please check out the recording on my profile. I have no idea what is causing the noise, at first I thought the mod, then the bad pad, but I'm not so sure either is the problem now. The recording is very quiet, but the actual noise is much louder than the natural tube noise present in my other un-touched Valve junior. I've tried different tubes, different cabs, different cables, etc. so im sure it's an internal, non-tube problem.

GO ahead and crank your speakers to hear the pretty quiet recording, there is a crackling that fades in and out. Any and all help or even blind guesses as to what could be causing this terrible noise is appreciated. I really don't want to pay my local amp tech over $100 to service a $130 head.

Thanks!

edit* the recording might not help much, my mic didn't really capture the crackling sound very well. It is distinctly wavering and crackly, something different from just loud tube hiss.
Did you use carbon resistors? Does it sound like bacon frying?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Did you use carbon resistors? Does it sound like bacon frying?

Yes, I used your typical, run of the mill 1/4 watt carbon resistors in the mod, and now I have returned to the stock VJ resistors, which I held on to, which are the same. I think a frying baccon noise is a good description. It is extra noise on top of the usual hiss, kind of like I'm turning a dirty pot, but it comes and goes all on its own and has nothing do do with the volume pot.