forgive me if this sounds stupid, but Im having difficulty playing songs..well I dont know. Sure the tab and score sheet are there, but It doesnt help and the song ends up sounding weird and tuneless. I want to desperately learn how to do this with out listening to the song beforehand.
Is it just down to practice and theory or is it experience and careful listening? Ive been playing properly since September, so Im not really that good.

Any ideas how to improve this?
You are not gonna be able to do that very well with tabs...if you can read sheet music then you got a better chance. But if you want to play the song, then listen to it...get the rhythms.
In the Valley of Vung
You can't really do it with tabs - you can do it really easily with regular scores. Seperate the beats of each measure and tap them out.
Quote by CobbZ
Or get guitar pro

Yep that will do it too...
In the Valley of Vung
its not easy to learn even if you read score (my opinion). Its so much easier to just listen to the song and then use the tabs as a guide.

Why do you want to learn songs without hearing them?
yeah your pretty much going to have to listen to the song
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Why do you not want to listen to the song? Is it some sort of ego thing where you want to try to challenge yourself with handicaps then tell people what you achieved?
It's impossible to learn a song you don't know on tabs alone and play everything correctly. You need to atleast hear the song, some tabs give you rhythms to a certain extent but they arn't enough to cut it.
you need something that tells you the rhythem otherwise its just notes and w/o listening to the music the only thing that does that is the score ... when i use to play sax in the school band this is basically all we had to go off of ... so basically you need an understanding of music and different rhythem and how those rhythems work together .. its basically music theory ... its best to take a music theory class beforehand if you've never had one if this is the approach you're going to take
Yep, TABs alone isn't going to cut it. Sheet music is good but only if you have a background it using it like playing a different instrument in a band setting. I learned to read music from playing saxophone in my younger years. These days I can hear the melody in my head by looking at sheet music, but mostly for basic stuff. Fast guitar solos are a bit harder and Guitar Pro is great for that.
Quote by SnoDog
Why do you not want to listen to the song? Is it some sort of ego thing where you want to try to challenge yourself with handicaps then tell people what you achieved?

I would have to guess that it's because he/she doesn't own a lot of the beginner songs that people recommend for beginners to play. Thus, he/she wants to know if it's possible to play them with just the tab.
i think the TS means if he gets a chord sheet in front of him
and only has to play the chords

is there an easy way to play along with the song

i do it all the time (:
as long as i have heard it once or have a guide, i can do it(:
you just need to get a feel for the music ,count the beats for each chord and change when you feel you need to. It's confusing to explain but i just know when to change.
I would get the demo of guitar pro, once you have a guitar pro tab from the tabs section you have a version of the song where you have a backing track and all the instruments and you can manipulate the speed and instruments to your will.

Also learn to play a song you know well unless every song by every band you like is very technical lol.
Quote by sheri234
forgive me if this sounds stupid, but Im having difficulty playing songs..well I dont know. Sure the tab and score sheet are there, but It doesnt help and the song ends up sounding weird and tuneless. I want to desperately learn how to do this with out listening to the song beforehand.
Is it just down to practice and theory or is it experience and careful listening? Ive been playing properly since September, so Im not really that good.

Any ideas how to improve this?

Generally speaking...you don't, why would you want to play something you'd never heard?

If you've been recommended something to learn then listen to it first and get to know it before you even touch the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Generally speaking...you don't, why would you want to play something you'd never heard?

If you've been recommended something to learn then listen to it first and get to know it before you even touch the guitar.

+1 !
You should be learning with real music, not tab.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
Quote by Ryan14

Real music is great but TABs are are real help. Historically all guitar music was written in TAB.
Quote by Ryan14

Why?
Historically all guitar music was written in TAB.

Um, no. Where did you get this idea?

One of the few times I have tried to figure out music without hearing it was when I was studying a classical composer, Carulli. He wrote a popular guitar method book in the beginning of the 19th century that is still in print today (in a French/Italian edition).

It was written in standard notation, but with notes on fingering to help the student.

But as mentioned above, it is far better to study the music by listening to it prior to trying to play it!
Learning with tab is just fine if you are a beginner, and whenever I try to learn a song, I listen to it enough it is stuck in my head before I look at the music, maybe you can try that.
thanks for the comments/advice. I wasnt trying to make things harder on myself,or show off. I just assumed that most musicians could do this (sight-reading?) I dont own or know some of the songs in the beginner threads, guess I'll just buy the original sheetmusic and learn some theory, and do it that way,.
BTW..Im a girl (how many men do you know called Sherry?
Pull up youtube or itunes/limewire, and download or listen to the song.
Then, pull up the tabs for the song.
Listen to the song a few times, so you have the idea.
Switch back and forth to compare the two, so you understand the concept.
Then jam once you are ready.
Don't try and do alot in a little span of time, just take your time.
This site basically lets you listen to any song you want, free, legal, virus-less, and without downloading.
http://www.playlist.com/

And if that fails (I'm surprised.) use youtube.

The only drawback with playlist is theres no rewind button. But you could always visit the site and listen to the raw mp3 file and then you can rewind.