And I mean metal.

Not:
Metalcore
Hardcore
Death Core
Screamo, etc.

Black, Thrash, Heavy, Power, or Death.

Personally, I think Iron Maiden's 'Powerslave' cuts it.
Master of Puppets lol.

No, seriously, there are way too many to decide. Powerslave is up there, although it lacks something when you look at how metal has advanced since then.
Panteras cowboys from hell is definatly up there, i still listen to that fairly regularly and i've had it over 10 years.
Tools aenima if you count that as metal is up there.
choas a.d. by sepultura
too many to even think of.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
master of puppets no album beats master of puppets, damage inc, battery and disposable heroes together! and dont forget about the thing that should not be, welcome home, orion and leper mesiah! huge album!
Powerslave is my fave Iron Maiden album, and it's defo among the top metal albums ever, not sure if there is just one, Master Of Puppets, as clice as it sounds, is there, Reign in Blood was the basis for more extreme stuff, and I guess things since then inspired each other...
Venom - Welcome to Hell or Bathory - Nordland I are my personal favorites. Can't choose between them though.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I lol at the sarcasm.

Phail thread deserves phail responses
well there are the obvious ones( master of puppets, reign in blood, rust in peace, powerslave), but some other great albums are painkiller by judas priest, the bleeding by cannibal corpse, blessed are the sick by morbid angel, the legacy by testament.

not to seem like a n00b or anything, but my personal favorite would have to be master of puppets.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!
well there are the obvious ones( master of puppets, reign in blood, rust in peace, powerslave), but some other great albums are painkiller by judas priest, the bleeding by cannibal corpse, blessed are the sick by morbid angel, the legacy by testament.

not to seem like a n00b or anything, but my personal favorite would have to be master of puppets.

you do realize that none of your 'non obvious' albums were even remotely underground, right?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious - Carcass

^ That there, ladies and djents, is THE top metal album ever.
^Agreed!
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by No U
Slayer's Reigning Blood?

Reign IN Blood

Personally?

Opeth - Morningrise.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by dismemborgasm
And I mean metal.

Not:
Metalcore
Hardcore
Death Core
Screamo, etc.

Black, Thrash, Heavy, Power, or Death.

Personally, I think Iron Maiden's 'Powerslave' cuts it.

I love how people leave Doom Metal out of these 'true metal' lists.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Panteras cowboys from hell is definatly up there, i still listen to that fairly regularly and i've had it over 10 years.
Tools aenima if you count that as metal is up there.
choas a.d. by sepultura
too many to even think of.

Those albums all fail on so many levels.

My picks as of right now would be:

Death - Symbolic
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Carcass - Necrotisim - Descanting the Insalubrious
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Chaos A.D. is the only one up there that has any credibility.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by diminishedtobme
^Troops of Doom was better, IMO.

Not an album man...

My choice for the top metal album ever would be Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick, but its personal preference.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Ah right! Then you would be correct in saying that Schizophrenia was better, awesome album.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
No way. SOTS has a buncha filler songs, and is beat by other gothernburg albums (The Gallery, The Jester Race). All of them came out in 1996
The Mantle - Agalloch is somewhere up there, but I can't chose a single best.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by No U
Slayer's Reigning Blood?

+1

Or even better Hell Awaits
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Behemoth - Apostasy or Job for a Cowboy - Genesis or Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

all three are totally great albums
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
No way. SOTS has a buncha filler songs, and is beat by other gothernburg albums (The Gallery, The Jester Race). All of them came out in 1996

Unto Others and Need are the only songs i dont really like
And wish they had put The Dying on there from the begining
The Gallery is good but i dont listen to it as much as SOTS and i cant say that i've listend much to Jester Race, shame on me.