hi guys, i'm currently learning barre chords. and i was just wondering if it was normal for my wrist and hands to feel a little pain and sore as i try to barre? i can actually do the barre, but my hands just feel sore and the wrist hurts a little after just barring for a few mins.
thats normal you have to at first build hand strength. once the pain starts coming though stop and wait until it goes away, then continue playing.
Yes, pain is normal after any kind of stress. Just like working out =)

What you have to watch for is numbness. That's usually a sign that you're pinching a nerve. Long term nerve damage will destroy your ability to play guitar. Stop playing if you experience numbness, or adjust your position to avoid it.
slight pain is normal, took me about a week to get over it. if you haven't by then, then you need to step down
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
i do get numbness actually. it usually happens after playing non-stop for like 45mins or so. that is just because of poor blood circulation, right?
Quote by avenger86
i do get numbness actually. it usually happens after playing non-stop for like 45mins or so. that is just because of poor blood circulation, right?

most likely. the best solution for poor blood circulation is good ol' cariovascular exercise.

as for the hand/wrist pain. that's normal for someone whos just starting to learn barre chords. just make sure you have a good stretch before and after you play.

if your hands/wrist start to get tired and tense up/hurt, take a break until it stops hurting. dont try to force it. pain is your body's way of telling you that something is abnormal or wrong.

the best approach to building finger strength is to do it in short segments. instead of practicing barre chords for hours and suffering, try playing as many barre chords as you can before your hand gets fatigued and then stop and play something else for a while to give your hand some time to rest. and repeat. learning barre chords can be a less painful process than a lot of people make it to be.
I've been playing for years and still some fingering patterns pop up that make my fingers or wrist hurt after practicing. It's just a matter of using a muscle or tendon that you don't normally use and letting that muscle gain a bit more strength. Be careful not to overdo it, get a good night's sleep and it will go away after a couple days.
Quote by xsuckxmyxassx
not normal there is some wrong with you fo sho baby!

perhaps you could elaborate a little?