I'm a bit of a bass noob, and I was just wondering, can you use normal effects pedals, ie distortion, with a bass, or do you need a seperate bass effects pedal (if there is one lol)
There are such things as bass effect pedals. I think you can use guitar pedals too, but it doesn't sound that great. I've actually heard a bass sound pretty cool through an Electroharmonix Big Muff.
Quote by GeekInThePink
There are such things as bass effect pedals. I think you can use guitar pedals too, but it doesn't sound that great. I've actually heard a bass sound pretty cool through an Electroharmonix Big Muff.

*reads again...*

Okay, TS, some pedals you are better off having a bass version for, like a distortion. However, some, like Chorus, or Phaser, you're okay using a normal version for.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by GeekInThePink
I don't get it...

I do mean the actual guitar pedal if that's what you mean.

It's not a particularily good pedal for bass if it's designed for guitar. It has a high-pass filter in it to prevent the sound becoming muddy.

Unfortunately, what's muddy to a guitar is normal for us. So we kinda lose all our bass.

Making us a gravelly guitar. Which sucks. There are much better distortions designed for bass.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thanks for the advice. It's mainly distortion I'm interested in so i guess i'm looking out for one of those now!
This Muff thing has gotten stupid - I've heard plenty of great bass sounds using 'em.

You can use guitar effects with bass. Some work better than others. Compression type effects (overdrive, distortion) usually filter out the bass if they're designed for guitar but time based effects (chorus, delay, flanger etc) work just fine. Wah needs to have an adjustable range or be designed for bass, unless you're using it after some very harmonically-rich distortion.
Quote by smb
This Muff thing has gotten stupid - I've heard plenty of great bass sounds using 'em.

I've heard plenty of great sounds from your Mum. Bet you don't want to talk about them!

Edit:

hehehehe at the bold word. "MUFF"
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
I've heard plenty of great sounds from your Mum.

Are we this immature nutter?
anyway, she's probably like sixty.

try the boss odb3. it's more of a fuzz, but it sounds pretty good.

I kinda dig muffs...

we should petition for a bass muff!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There's a bunch of discussion on the ODB3 and other distortion pedals going on right now. Its like the thread topic of the moment lately.

TS. I am going to go ahead and close this out. If you have any other distortion related questions go ahead and post them in one of the other threads.

Thanks,

Your mod.