Okay, yesterday I posted about how my pinky was getting swollen. After a night of sleep, it's much less sensitive, altho it still is swollen, and I think I have a blister, but I don't think that will prevent me from playing.

A new problem tho... I now feel a pain in my palm when I fist my hand. It's like around in the middle of my palm, and it is obviously muscular, rather then an exterior ache. I feel when I do the action of fisting my hand. I can also feel it if I like move my pinky to the exterior and my index to the interior(kinda like a movement from playing guitar).

Now my question is, I heard a lot about tension and how you can injure yourself if you play with too much tension. I have no idea if that'd be the reason, but I admit that it's about the first time I decide to put so much time in a day on playing the same riff(high on the neck aswell). When I try playing with the pain, I can feel that playing more relaxed makes me feel it less, but would tension be the reason for the pain actually being there?

Another reason I find plausible is that my guitar doesn't have a "big" reach if I can say. What I mean by that, is that my guitar isn't too friendly when playing high. The body starts around the 20th fret. Now I have read about how I should just play and get used with it because in the end if I get used to it, I can play high just as good. Now that isn't so much of a problem, because after all, 17th fret isn't THAT high. The bolt part is where it's getting awkward(my neck isn't glued, it's bolted). Since the riff I am practicing basicly just plays between 14th and 17th fret, I have to play with my palm somewhat resting on the bolted part. How does that make sense? When I play lower on the neck, the pain is much less noticeable.

Finally, a last reason I found is simply because of my position. I play sitting down, and perhaps that there is a "mistake" in my positionning when playing so high(having my arm closer to my body), and perhaps even playing with the range between index and pinky much smaller(14th fret > index, 17th fret > pinky).

All this could just be the consequence of playing for about 5-6 hours in a day(my biggest guitar playing day ever), as I'm not used to playing so much in a typical day.

Now I'm sorry if all this looks newbie and stupid, as it's an issue often talked about. But really, I'm getting motivated into getting better, and losing 1 day of playing is something I would like to avoid. I do not want to get myself injured, seriously enough to compromise my practicing/playing. I'd like to know what would be the most plausible reason for that pain I feel in my fretting hand's palm. Playing through the pain is what I would do, but like I said, I wanna avoid getting any injuries(as little as it could be). Also if you have any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

take a couple days off
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Yeah, I keep losing the skin on my fingertips.
I stopped practicing as much as I normally do and my fingers are normal again.
Quote by CrabShrapnel
take a couple days off

Yeah that's really what I was trying to avoid . To be honest, I restarted playing a few months ago, but as a casual player more. I finally decided to like kick my arse to do it and practice every single days for hours.

Yesterday was the first time I played in about 5 days(busy week), and I felt like I made a lot of progress yesterday(both perspective wise and technical wise). I feel like I have the motivation to keep going, but yeah now this happens so I'm unsure what to do. I already feel like it's better then it was last night before going to bed, but still don't wanna risk anything.

Edit: Yeah, finger tips hurt but that's something I can forget about, unless I've been playing for hours and can't take it anymore. I have never played guitar seriously enough. I bought an accoustic about 5 years ago. About 1 years later, I bought an electric and played for like 2 years, and got bored for like the next year, and finally decided to restart more motivated a few months ago. All the stuff I used to play I wasn't playing good and didn't give the effort needed into mastering my accuracy. I was playing for about an hour or two a day, with days off, casually jamming with my friend(we were playing...bad).

Anyways the point is I thought I had lost the protection thingy(I don't know the word in english ), the same thing you have under your feets. Anyways I realised it came back straight away after a day, so yeah I'm kinda fine on that side.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at May 15, 2008,
I'm sure you're making leaps and bounds and it must feel really good. But the only way for your hands to get used to it is a gradual increase in playing. Taking a break will be well worth it. You can also try stretching and playing in short bursts to give yourself lots of rests.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Alright, thanks for the tips.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I've been playing the guitar for a long, long time.
To get beyound the threshold of the first year was a challenge becuase
no matter what learned..the muscle on my arm and hand wasn't develope.

Recently I had to take a year off becuase I damaged my fretboard hand.
My hand basically gose numb after 10-15 mins of playing.
I damaged it by sweeping or playing scales stupid fast without warming up.

It went numb after I started playing again, a couple of weeks ago.
I had to stop playing for a week or just do simple chords
It's doing better. I don't think I'm going to do alot of sweeping any time soon.
also TS, make sure the strings are adjusted for height properly, they should be very close to the fret board and require almost no effort at all to fret. when i first got my acoustic (about a year ago, i'd been playing for about 11 years at the time) i couldn't play for more than 5 minutes straight and my hand hurt terribly. after a couple nights of this i realized it was because my strings were set ridiculously high.
Funny... i was drunk playing all night last night... and zoned out. First time in almost 2 years, i woke up in the morning with an aching wrist. I never thought it'd be possible. It's gone now though.