So at what point do most of you guys try and play along with the music of a song that you're learning or have learned? Do you just learn the whole song, then once you've got it down try and play it along with the music and make it match up with timings and such? Or do you guys try and play along as you go once you learn a section?
I look at the tab for one section while listening to it to follow it. Then I play the tab of that section at my pace. Then listen, then play at a faster pace, repeat till I'm at the correct tempo, then play it faster than the recording to make sure I have the part. Then I play along with that section. Repeat for the next section, then play the two together, reapeat with all sections till I can play the whole song, it takes about 1/2 hour.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
I look at the tab for one section while listening to it to follow it. Then I play the tab of that section at my pace. Then listen, then play at a faster pace, repeat till I'm at the correct tempo, then play it faster than the recording to make sure I have the part. Then I play along with that section. Repeat for the next section, then play the two together, reapeat with all sections till I can play the whole song, it takes about 1/2 hour.

Heh I wish it only took me 1/2 an hour =P I'm still a newb so i'm not as talented yet. lol But I'm trying to power through Trivium - Like Light to Flies. Maybe I'll be able to get it down tonight if i'm lucky. Gonna be hard to get it all down though.
Quote by Exodus04
Heh I wish it only took me 1/2 an hour =P I'm still a newb so i'm not as talented yet. lol But I'm trying to power through Trivium - Like Light to Flies. Maybe I'll be able to get it down tonight if i'm lucky. Gonna be hard to get it all down though.

Nah, just keep at it and you will do just fine! Concentrate on the main riffs first. Then onto the color riffs. Just don't give up and you'll do fine!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
It's better to learn all the parts at the tempo YOU are comfortable at. Then, if you want to play the whole song, you can practice all the parts separately with a metronome.

+1

Another great practice aid is software called "Transcribe!", available for download (google for more info). You can get a 30-day free trial. It lets you slow down the song without changing the pitch, so you can play along as slow as you need to. You can also use it to identify notes that are being played at any given point in the song. My whole practice went up a notch with this software. It costs about $50 CND.