I plan on mastering both techniques, but which to learn first? I want to be able to play fast Rhoads/Van Halen/scalar runs at full speed, and soon, so I'd rather focus on only one to speed up progress. So which to master first?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

yea, why legato vs alt...
alt is some practicing, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. I practiced misirlou by dick dale to master the technique. And legato is just some sliding, that doesn't really require real practice m8
I'd rather practice an hour or hour and a half a day on one, and see massive improvement, than see medium on both.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by Base Ics
yea, why legato vs alt...
alt is some practicing, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. I practiced misirlou by dick dale to master the technique. And legato is just some sliding, that doesn't really require real practice m8

Legato is sliding hammerons and pulloffs.
anything that doesnt involve picking. it gives it a softer sound.
Quote by Pyrest
Legato is sliding hammerons and pulloffs.
anything that doesnt involve picking. it gives it a softer sound.

true but when you alt pick one might hammer on and pull off to make it go much faster thus creating a combined learning of legato and alt picking
it matters how you'll apply it, to me alternative picking came easier but legato sounds more impressive
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Alternate Picking

Don't learn any other shred techniques until you've got this one perfected.

And don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. You MUST be able to pick.

Perhaps you prefer economy picking. If you naturally economy pick, use that instead of alternate, but some kind of picking technique is vital.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Alternate Picking

Don't learn any other shred techniques until you've got this one perfected.

And don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. You MUST be able to pick.

Perhaps you prefer economy picking. If you naturally economy pick, use that instead of alternate, but some kind of picking technique is vital.

+1

picking is your bread and butter, legato is just those seeds and bits of crap they stick to the outside of the bread.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well that solves that, since I trust the last two more than anybody else in this thread, and more than most on UG (no off. meant to other in thread, they just know what their saying). Makes sense. And I do know that I should use both, and its how they're used, I'll get there in time. Thanks everybody though.
Quote by darkstar2466

why does everyone forget about economy picking?!?! imo picking comes first. then one should move to legato practicing. learning both styles are important. when i first started playing guitar, the guy who showed me the first few steps forced me to learn alterpicking when economy picking came to me neturally.

it doesnt really matter which style you start out with, but stay focused on whatever you are learning.
Alternate picking is extremely important. Even if the lick isn't meant to be played with all picking, it's good practice. My favorite licks are half and half sort of licks, but even those can't be nailed unless you are very proficient at alternate picking.
Quote by tanvir
why does everyone forget about economy picking?!?!

Quote by bangoodcharlote

I think people should learn alternate before economy, but some people naturally economy pick, so they should stick with that. The only difference happens when you change strings, so you learn single-string speed-picking either way.
lol i posted before reading everyones post. you guys have already talked about economy picking and i absolutely agree.
Practice both, a good phrasing is more important than speed IMO.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Alternate Picking.

Agreed. Picking technique is fundemental.

However, it's worth noting that alternate picking, sweeping and economy picking all refer to the actual mechanical motions involed in each technique, while legato refers to a sonic quality. A picking lick could technically be played legato, provided each note started with a smooth attack and the passage flowed very fluently...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
while legato refers to a sonic quality.
Not on guitar. On the guitar, legato refers to hammer, pulls, taps, trills, slides, and probably other techniques I can't recall right now.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Not on guitar. On the guitar, legato refers to hammer, pulls, taps, trills, slides, and probably other techniques I can't recall right now.

No, those are the techniques we most commonly use to get the sonic character defined by the term legato.

Portato techniques also involve hammer-ons, but certainly aren't legato.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.