Alright, so my friend offered to sell me his old (he said about 2 years old) Schecter Gryphon for around 150-200 bucks. I haven't seen it in a long time so I can't really remember what condition it's in but he recently dropped in new pickups and it has new strings (elixir's at that ).

I'm a novice and have really just been screwing around on my brothers squier and an old crappy Yamaha acoustic with horrible action and stings that are older than I am. I play mostly rock riffs and some metal, though I may get into blues (I hear it has a great blue's tone). Oh, plus I'm not planning on spending a ton of money. Does this seem like a good deal on the guitar and will it be appropriate for my playing style?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Okay, I guess I should have thought ahead for a tl;dr scenario.

So, bottom line is:

Am I getting a good price (150-200 dollar range)for a 2 year old Schecter Gryphon with relatively new pickups and new strings?
Provided it's in good condition, yes, that's a very good deal. I'm a huge Schecter fan though, so I may be biased :-P

Do you know what pickups he put in it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

No, I'm not sure what pickups he put in - I had a pretty brief conversation with him about it between classes. Thanks for giving me your opinion, I'm pretty sure it's in fairly good condition, and he's a good friend so I don't thin he'd try to rip me off and sell me a busted guitar. Of course I'll check it out before making the final transaction though. I guess that's the best I'll get for that cheap anyway so I might as well go for it.
Quote by RU Experienced?
No, I'm not sure what pickups he put in - I had a pretty brief conversation with him about it between classes. Thanks for giving me your opinion, I'm pretty sure it's in fairly good condition, and he's a good friend so I don't thin he'd try to rip me off and sell me a busted guitar. Of course I'll check it out before making the final transaction though. I guess that's the best I'll get for that cheap anyway so I might as well go for it.

I paid ~$250 for my omen when I bought it, used, and it's a lower model than the gryphon, so I'm sure it's a great deal, especially since you don't have to worry about paying for shipping! I actually really like the stock pickups on the gryphon (for what they are anyway), so unless he put true duncans, or something else higher end, I might make sure he gives you the stock pickups also.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

I just spoke with him and yeah, he said they're duncan humbuckers so that's good, and the price is officially 150 so I'm gonna snag it tomorrow. I'm excited
congrats on a nice guitar for low bux!

my friend has a gryphon, and its very nice
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
It's going to be awkward playing it for a while with the longer neck but from all the reviews I've read it seems to be the best you can get in its price range. Thanks again guys
150?? That's a terrible deal.... where do you live again? *goes and buys guitar for $150 first...*

haha Congrats, and enjoy it!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by darthalal
150?? That's a terrible deal.... where do you live again? *goes and buys guitar for $150 first...*

haha Congrats, and enjoy it!

Oh, you know it