Ok, here's the prob:

My Bassist is very experienced, he's got lightning fingers and plays punk/rock-ish riffs. He's able to follow whatever I play or write, so, most of the few songs we've done, are my riffs with him adding to it, which is sweet...

but I'm having a hell of a hard time following him or "complementing" when he writes his riffs. I've been playing for about 18 months, so i'm definately still learning theory and scales. I don't know... I mean... i'll get the right key and chords... I'll chop his riffs to simpler chord progressions. I'm trying everything, sigh, I guess it's just time. I'll follow along pretty good sometimes but most of the riffs he's done i haven't been able to lay out. Any advice?
Last edited by ocelott at May 15, 2008,
either keep trying or tell him cant hang with his nutty speed and to sloooowwww doooowwwwnnn or just follow along the best you can because it will help you, youll only get better at following his stuff you know what i mean? i say tough it out and do the best you can!
Not much you can do but either tell him to do more simple riffs until you get better, practice your ass of everyday or have simple guitar riffs and awesome basslines until you get better.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by vannaXcurses
either keep trying or tell him cant hang with his nutty speed and to sloooowwww doooowwwwnnn or just follow along the best you can because it will help you, youll only get better at following his stuff you know what i mean? i say tough it out and do the best you can!

yep. that's why i love jamming with him. he's got experience. i was never a punk/rock player... i'm a soft John Mayer-ish guitar player. So my ear's not really used to writting much less, following faster progressions.