I'm not really sure on how to do it...

I'll give you an example, if anyone can solve it showing the steps and explaining how to do it, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Example: (2x^3 - 7x^2 + 5x - 1)/(x-3)
sup?
It's kind of hard to do on a computer. I know how but can't explain it in type. Sorry.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
(2x^3 - 7x^2 + 5x - 1)/(x-3) = 2x^2
-(2x^3 - 6x^2)
-------------------
...............x^2

(2x^3 - 7x^2 + 5x - 1)/(x-3) = 2x^2+x

-------------------
..............(x^2 + 5x)
.............-(x^2 - 3x)
-------------------------
...................... 8x

(2x^3 - 7x^2 + 5x - 1)/(x-3) = 2x^2+x-8

-------------------

-------------------------
.........................( 8x-1)
........................-( 8x+8)
----------------------------------

doesn't seem to add up evenly, in which case there is no answer other than 3.

L={3}
This kind of math used to confuse me to no end - until I looked it up on the internet.
That website up there really does explain (in detail) a step-by-step solution to the equation. Good luck with the rest!
basically its long divivsion
divide the x into 2x^3 and u get 2x^2. Multiply 2x^2 by (x+3) = (2x^3 +6x^2) <-- line this up underneath the first two terms of the big expression like so:

2x^3 - 7x^2
2x^3 + 6x^2............. then change the signs of the botton two and the 2x^3 cancel and ur left

with - 13x^2. so now ur big expression is (-13x^2 + 5x - 1) divide x into -13x^2 and u get -13x. So multiply -13x by (x-3) and you get -13x^2 +39x)

Line this up underneath ur big epression and get

-13x^2 + 5x
-13x^2 +39x........... again change the signs of the bottom to. Cancel and ur left with - 34x

so ur big expansion is now -34x -1

Now i will admit that i have mad a mistake in there somewhere or else you made up the question and it cant be done... basically it should all divide in equally and on the last two terms when you change the signs. everything will cancel.

When finshed your answer wil be the numbers you multiplied. ie for this they are 2x^2 - 13x etc i underlined them for ease

If that helps.. will you repay me by voting in the UG album thread??

EDIT; yep i screwed up in my maths somewhere. The method was right tho!!
Quote by jimmy_neutron
basically its long divivsion
divide the x into 2x^3 and u get 2x^2. Multiply 2x^2 by (x+3) = (2x^3 +6x^2) <-- line this up underneath the first two terms of the big expression like so:

2x^3 - 7x^2
2x^3 + 6x^2............. then change the signs of the botton two and the 2x^3 cancel and ur left

with - 13x^2. so now ur big expression is (-13x^2 + 5x - 1) divide x into -13x^2 and u get -13x. So multiply -13x by (x-3) and you get -13x^2 +39x)

Line this up underneath ur big epression and get

-13x^2 + 5x
-13x^2 +39x........... again change the signs of the bottom to. Cancel and ur left with - 34x

so ur big expansion is now -34x -1

Now i will admit that i have mad a mistake in there somewhere or else you made up the question and it cant be done... basically it should all divide in equally and on the last two terms when you change the signs. everything will cancel.

When finshed your answer wil be the numbers you multiplied. ie for this they are 2x^2 - 13x etc i underlined them for ease

If that helps.. will you repay me by voting in the UG album thread??

EDIT; yep i screwed up in my maths somewhere. The method was right tho!!

Isn't that the long division way of doing it?
sup?