I'm thinking about picking up a backup guitar for my Hellraiser, and mentioned it to a coworker today, who promptly offered to sell me his Standard Strat. I've seen and played the guitar before, and it played nice, (though it lost its tuning very quickly), but something about it strikes me that it hasn't been well cared for? The neck/fretboard is maple, and appeared to be darkening or staining with age, and the pickguard is warped which lead me to believe that it was stored somewhere that damage to the guitar might have taken place.

I didn't notice any obvious neck warping, but is the warped pickguard a sign that something might have happened? And is its lack of ability to hold its tuning a common problem among the mexican strats (I'm guessing due to the trem) and can this be fixed by changing the springs, or tightening something? (I've never owned a trem bridge guitar)

Also, what would be a good price to offer him? Because of the condition of the guitar, and the tuning issue (and the fact that a strat isn't really my first choice) I don't really want to pay too much (a little above $200 probably), so if that's not a reasonable amount, or he won't take that much (he probably would, he just wants to get rid of it), or if it does seem like something is wrong with it, what would a solid choice be for a backup guitar under $400?

So far I was looking at a Faded G-400, and changing the pickups, but I would have to order it online, since all of the music stores around me are really bitter about epiphone guitars, and refuse to carry them, or maybe an Agile Al3000? (but again, I would have to order it online). I'm hesitant to order either online because I have played a few G-400s, and they varied widely in quality, and I have no experience with Agile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

The G-400 is a nice Guitar I have one and I plays really nice. The Mexican Strat would not be worth 200 if the Pick guard is warped. If the pick guard is warped then there is probably something else wrong with think guitar, but really the choice is up to you.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by Zigler9
The G-400 is a nice Guitar I have one and I plays really nice.

Most that I've played do, but I've also played a few lemons, and since I have to order online, I don't really want to deal with the chance that I might get one..

Also, I don't ever really play blues, or single-coily music, (or ever use a whammy bar), so as much as it would be cool to add a strat to my collection, I almost feel like it wouldn't fit as a "backup" guitar..
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but if that is your case I would not buy a Strat unless it was a HSS. I have never heard of Agile but if they are nice guitars I might recommend one but I have never heard one.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now