Tomorrow for class I have to debate on the topic "Homeland security is more important than civil liberties". I'm on the negative side, meaning I'm debating that homeland security is NOT more important that civil liberties. I already have some support, but I would like to see what you guys think, and hopefully get some more ideas.
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
You'll be sorry when the commies invade.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Look up Martin Luther King and the FBI (see my sig) for a really good counter to the "if you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to hide"
MLK wasn't doing anything wrong but the FBI still tried to destroy him.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If you don't have the liberty to do what you want (while still maintaining the liberties of others), then what are you really protecting with homeland security? The right for the man to shove his dick down your throat?

EDIT: if this is for school, and you want to use my argument, please word it differently.
Last edited by bananaboy at May 15, 2008,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Look up Martin Luther King and the FBI (see my sig) for a really good counter to the "if you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to hide"
MLK wasn't doing anything wrong but the FBI still tried to destroy him.

Well he was an adulterer, which is "wrong" to many people, but other than that he was doing immense good, which makes a good point.
Quote by Pinballwizard93

Jizz is where it is
Quote by bananaboy
If you don't have the liberty to do what you want (while still maintaining the liberties of others), then what are you really protecting with homeland security? The right for the man to shove his dick down your throat?

jesus! welcome to my signature!

EDIT: okay, so it's not really going in, but that's great.
_______
|||||||||||||||
^ thats a great point ^, civil liberties are more important because that is what this country is based on. How bout we stop making enemies so this will be less of a problem?

this country means USA, i assume that is the country we are talking about...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by bananaboy

that's one of the main points I've come up with
Quote by Pinballwizard93

Jizz is where it is
Quote by MartiniKiss7
Well he was an adulterer, which is "wrong" to many people, but other than that he was doing immense good, which makes a good point.

His wife didn't mind.
Plus it's not a crime, the FBI is a law enforcement agency, not the morality police
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by magnus_maximus
The FBI are just about as moral as the Gestapo.

When I was doing research on them for a project I discovered that J.Edgar Hoover used to dress up in women's clothes and call himself Mary.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
All your argument has to be about is:

"What would the founding fathers have wanted?"
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
another good point, nice one americablanco...

Jefferson would have hated the idea of the federal government coming to you and forcefully restricting your liberties
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by americablanco

the first quote about deserving neither was benjamin franklin.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by americablanco

pretty much, just speak about what the U.S. was founded under and what the founding fathers expected the U.S. to uphold.

personally, i think at times you do need to momentarily restrict certain civil liberties in order to ensure the safety of the majority. it''s be naive to allow people to whatever they want because you want to let them have all of their civil liberties.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
pretty much, just speak about what the U.S. was founded under and what the founding fathers expected the U.S. to uphold.

personally, i think at times you do need to momentarily restrict certain civil liberties in order to ensure the safety of the majority. it''s be naive to allow people to whatever they want because you want to let them have all of their civil liberties.

Although I do agree with this, this is a debate, and thus he has to be an extremist with what he's arguing.

Another good point for an upcoming debate is taking the devil's advocate. In advance, think of what your opponents are going to say.
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
At first glance, arguments for sacrificing civil liberties in the name of security can appear valid, but history proves them wrong every time. Whenever an instance occurs where those in power (or by decision of voters) gain a little more power in the name of security, or certain 'war-time privileges' are bestowed, rarely (very, very rarely. Actually, never) do those powers get removed once the threat or situation are nullified.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by americablanco

Exactly, "Give me liberty or give me death".
Quote by Pinballwizard93

Jizz is where it is
Quote by MartiniKiss7
Exactly, "Give me liberty or give me death".

And yet, we always end up with death...
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3