They're usually for exercises though, for getting faster I think.

Eg:

e|--1234--
B|--1234--
G|--1234--
D|--1234--
A|--1234--
E|--1234--

Then play that up and down with a metronome.
That's what I use chromatics for, at least right now.

It's basically using any note on the fret board, no scales or anything.
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The chromatic scale contains every note. The way you use it is by using out-of-key tones to create dissonance and then resolve to more consonant tones.

Can u play the chromatic scale over any chords, If there is the chromatic scale than what is the point in knowing any other scales because all of the notes in scales are in the chromatic scale?
Quote by mjkshreds
Can u play the chromatic scale over any chords

You can play it over anything, yes, but it doesn't mean it's going to sound brilliant everytime you use it. If you can use chromatic scales cleverly then that is a million times better than throwing them in all the time. In jazz they are a great help when you have different voices moving. The area i've found they are used well is in blues/ragtime turnarounds. I'm not a metal musician so i can't comment on how it fits into that type of music.

Quote by mjkshreds
if there is the chromatic scale than what is the point in knowing any other scales because all of the notes in scales are in the chromatic scale?

Because diatonic (in key) scales have their uses and chromatic scales have different uses.

Side note: gloryindeath did not post a chromatic scale - that is just an exercise. The chromatic scale would be. (E to G#)

e|----------------------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4--|
b|---------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4---------------|
G|----------------------------------------0-1-2-3----------------------------|
D|--------------------------0-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------|
A|-------------0-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------|
E|--0-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------|