Page 1 of 3
I've recently began listening to mathcore, and I'm in love with it. Especially Protest the Hero. The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me are two others I like. What are your favorite mathcore bands, or any that are worth listening to?
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Circle Takes The Square (especially their song A Disclaimer to the Self)
Fall Of Troy
The Locust
The Number 12 Looks Like You
These Arms Are Snakes

Now I don't know a lot about mathcore, but I know some of these bands' songs and they're pretty good. And Wikipedia said that these bands are considered mathcore or have at least played mathcore at some point in their careers.
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
Circle Takes the Square is screamo, although it may have a bit of math influence.

August Burns Red is kind of mathy and I really like them. BTBAM and PTH are the obvious ones though.
Into the Moat, IWRESTLEDABEARONCE, August Burns Red (don't know if they're really Mathcore but they're still great), Sikth.

I would check out the list of Mathcore bands on Wikipedia, most of them are atleast worth checking out.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

lol @ TS's post.

i'm really into From A Second Story Window.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by saxaxe
Periphery. They're not really mathcore, but listen to them anyway

You are awesome

Also, Mustang is right
BTBAM, PTH, and TFOT aren't mathcore, neither is ABR.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
im not sure how is fall of troy considered mathcore. they are barely even metalcore.
converge is the best mathcore band, imo
I don't know if you would considered those bands mathcore but I get what you're talkign about....those bands always kind of get grouped together but they're all a little different. They all have very good technical skills, I guess you could put them under technical metalcore but who cares, grouping bands is a tough thing sometimes.

If you like those bands you'll like these: August Burns Red (more straight up hardcore/metalcore but very technical), The Human Abstract (if you like BTBAM and PTH you'll like these guys), SikTh (Very similar to PTH), The Faceless (they have death vocals so I don't know if that would turn you off but very technical like the others)
Quote by Selkies921
SikTh (Very similar to PTH))

This statement shouldn't bother me but it does.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Blood Has Been Shed anyone?

Also BTBAM are more progressive and not really mathcore I think...this genre is so loosely defined and overlapping though, it doesnt really make sense.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Last edited by emr_steelmech at May 16, 2008,
Quote by emr_steelmech
Blood Has Been Shed anyone?

Also BTBAM are more progressive and not really mathcore I think...this genre is so loosely defined and overlapping though, it doesnt really make sense.

blood has been shed is howard jones' band before killswitch right?

i dont think btbam, fall of troy and protest the hero are mathcore. fall of troy and protest are like technical post-hardcore and btbam is progressive
Quote by recklessnick
^ aha. imo man. cos i really like converge. sorry if you think otherwise

No I love Converge, they're one of my favorite bands. But I would NEVER call them mathcore.
people people, mathcore is not a real genre
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by tomohawkjoe
This statement shouldn't bother me but it does.

You don't think Protest and Sikth sound alike?.........and I'm not talking about the vocals, I'm talking about their instrumental sound which is very alike
Quote by Selkies921
You don't think Protest and Sikth sound alike?.........and I'm not talking about the vocals, I'm talking about their instrumental sound which is very alike

No. To me PTH is more
SHRED SHRED SHRED CATCHY CHORUS SHRED SHRED SHRED
while Sikth just have this groove to them that is just so awesome. Plus, Sikth is spazzier and heavier (imo of course). I mean, I guess if your talking about techniques n'stuff, yeah I could see that, but overall I think Sikth and Pth are to different to compare with each other. I mean, put on Scent of The Obscene against Bloodmeat, I think the difference should be pretty clear. Especially how they utilize techniques such as slap and tapping. I mean, the tapping in Scent of The Obscene just add a whole new dimension to the song while the stuff in Bloodmeat is more shred happy. To me the clear difference between the two bands is how they approach music. To me, Sikth is more groove and Pth is more shred happy.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by MustangMan311
oh, you mean those posers who copied norma jean? screw them. they're wannabes.

You are aware that they were formed before Norma Jean, right?
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by aggiefan33
No I love Converge, they're one of my favorite bands. But I would NEVER call them mathcore.

uh... im pretty sure they are.

and lol to the guy who said botch copied norma jean
Quote by SOADrox429
You are aware that they were formed before Norma Jean, right?

He's being sarcastic.

And lol @ Mustang's post.
Quote by tyl3risan1nj4
why does everyone hate on TDWP
they really are a good band if your a true hardcore fan
i guess people on ug are more into metalcore and punk hardcore....

lolwat
Quote by seaofcartilage
knut > 100% of this thread

knut slays, but botch is one of the best bands in hardcore history.

so....

Quote by seaofcartilage
knut > 95% of this thread

fixed.
Quote by seaofcartilage
i prefer knut to botch but whatever, both rule

you like swarm of the lotus?

never heard them. i'll look it up.
theyre really good, same sludgy "mathcore" style

but seriously, supremely, delightfully, sludgy

and a lot of cave in influence
This thread is lacking Psyopus.