My new amp is amazing. The cleans rival any Twin, and I can get a real nice Voxy tone and I can even keep bringing it up, about as far as the overdrive on a Plexi. Problem is, while I find all of these tones to be usable, I also love playing Dream Theater, which means that Plexi won't cut it. Every metal DS pedal I've tried is fizzy and tinny and has too much high end. I want a pedal that can drive the tubes harder and get me a tone similar to a Mesa Booge Mark series head. Is a good choice available under $120?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
what amp do you have now?
and i would just use a tubescreamer to drive it harder.
Quote by chea_man
what amp do you have now?
and i would just use a tubescreamer to drive it harder.

I have a Peavey Heritage VTX 212, which has four 6L6's in the power stage and an SS preamp.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
sounds like you might wanna check out the jekyl and hyde pedal thing.

if i'm correct it has both OD and distortion (a nice sounding one mind you) that should give you the best of both possibilities. worth a look
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I have a Peavey Heritage VTX 212, which has four 6L6's in the power stage and an SS preamp.

Ok then the OD's are out, you better stick with the Fizzy distortions or keep your volume maxed at 10 to get any kind of tube od...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ok then the OD's are out, you better stick with the Fizzy distortions or keep your volume maxed at 10 to get any kind of tube od...

So with an SS preamp I'm basically doomed and can't get any metal tone worth listening to? That doesn't sound right.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
So with an SS preamp I'm basically doomed and can't get any metal tone worth listening to? That doesn't sound right.

An OD will throw that amp into clipping and it will sound horrible. So only options you have is getting a distortion pedal which you said no too. Option two is to buy a real tube amp or try and overdrive your power tubes. But you probally wont get past five on your volume before the SS preamp starts clipping. So good luck....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
An OD will throw that amp into clipping and it will sound horrible. So only options you have is getting a distortion pedal which you said no too. Option two is to buy a real tube amp or try and overdrive your power tubes. But you probally wont get past five on your volume before the SS preamp starts clipping. So good luck....

I'm trying to put money aside for other things...another amp purchase isn't gonna happen for a long time.

Do you know of any distortion pedals that don't sound like crappy little 15 watt Crates? Basically what I was saying in the OP was that I didn't want something like a Digitech or boss, I wanted to know if there was anything better.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
LIES LIES LIES.
you can use a overdrive on your amp. you should go try one out with your amp, you may like it, you may not. just try some stuff out. try everything out, i dont recommend basing everything off of what is said on UG, so much of it is just repeated nonsense.
Quote by chea_man
LIES LIES LIES.
you can use a overdrive on your amp. you should go try one out with your amp, you may like it, you may not. just try some stuff out. try everything out, i dont recommend basing everything off of what is said on UG, so much of it is just repeated nonsense.

Lol so you honestly think a OD pedal is going to make his SS amp into a progressive metal beast.. I almost fell out of my chair...

He isnt talking about adding a little boost for a solo he is talking about going from nothing to metal. So taking what ever gain he has now and boosting the hell out of it which doesnt work that way on SS amps. Im sorry but it doesnt.. If your just want a slight boost or to tighten things up sure you can try it on an ss amp i do it to my Randall all the time (Amp is known to take boost well by the way). But to turn something into a metal amp.. Hell no it cant be done...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 15, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Lol so you honestly think a OD pedal is going to make his SS amp into a metal beast.. I almost fell out of my chair...

He isnt talking about adding a little boost for a solo he is talking about going from nothing to metal. So taking what ever gain he has now and boosting the hell out of it which doesnt work that way on SS amps. Im sorry but it doesnt.. If your just want a slight boost or to tighten things up sure you can try it on an ss amp i do it to my Randall all the time (Amp is known to take boost well by the way). But to turn something into a metal amp.. Hell no it cant be done...

yeah your right, putting more dirt over top over his already dirty channel wont make it even dirtier.
Anyone tried a MetalMuff? That's one of the few I have not but I was impressed by the clips on MF.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Owned one, didnt like it. It was pretty thin and buzzy. Actually really buzzy so i got rid of it for line 6 Uber metal which is basically pantera in a box. It was pretty nice actually. But now as far as distortion pedals go i wont go with anything but Protone there Body rot 2 is a amazing modern style pedal. Also the Guyatone Metal Monster is supposed to be a beast but haven't tested it myself.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Lol so you honestly think a OD pedal is going to make his SS amp into a progressive metal beast.. I almost fell out of my chair...

You honestly call that an SS amp? I almost fell out of my chair.

Pushing an SS preamp, regardless of the poweramp, isn't generally a great idea. If his amp is anything like the Roland Bolt 60 I almost bought once (SS preamp, 6V6 poweamp), then an OD might actually be a fine solution, but NOT in the Gain zero Level maxed way that you use your BM, Ibanez.