Quote by mjkshreds
What kind of scales does eddie van halen use. I heard he doesn't know any scales he just knows the keys so I think He uses a lot of chromatic notes.

He may claim not to know any scales, but he uses them and can hear them.

He uses alot of minor pentatonic, minor blues, sometimes Major, minor,or Mixolydian. Alot of getting his sound has more to do with feel. The scales alone won't do it. try to learn a few of his solos or riffs if you want to learn what his sound is all about.
You'll see a lot of blues licks in his work, and those are based off of the minor pentatonic and minor blues scales. His tapping is made up mostly of arpeggiations of minor triads with some chromatic movement.
His father was a concert violinest and he listened to Al Di Meola.
I can't imagine he didn't pick up some scales or music theory here and there.lol

Even thou he wanted to play the drums at first and came home oneday after
doing his paper route and saw alex pounding hell out of it better than he did
The blues influence most likely came from Clapton. I have an old Guitar Player interview which he stated that he learned all of Clapton's solos from his Cream days.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
I'm no expert but wasn't he a pianist first? If he doesn't know any scales i'll chop my own fingers off.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
I'm no expert but wasn't he a pianist first? If he doesn't know any scales i'll chop my own fingers off.

he started off on drums, and alex on guitar

then they switched apparently...

anyway, he uses alot of blues licks. i'm not sure if he gets technical with scales though. it just sounds like he combines blues licks with whatever sounds good
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.