I'm a bit of a noob to floyd rose's, but right now I'm using a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a floyd rose in standard tuning, how would I go about tuning it? Would I just get an allen key, unlock the nut and tune using the machine heads to tune it to 1 step down and the just re lock the nut in place?
nope.. If you have a string tree it shouldn't go out of tune when you lock it..

set your fine tuners about 1/2 way to 3/4 the way up, tune using the machines, lock it, then fine tune it..

Make sure you stretch the hell out of the strings before tuning.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
nope.. If you have a string tree it shouldn't go out of tune when you lock it..

set your fine tuners about 1/2 way to 3/4 the way up, tune using the machines, lock it, then fine tune it..

Make sure you stretch the hell out of the strings before tuning.

Sorry but I don't understand you to well, I heard about it's important to stretch the strings a lot because then it'll be easier to bend. So I don't touch the nut, but instead just move the fine tuners up half way and tune using machine heads, then how would I "lock" it after words?
It's unlocked when you change the strings. Leave it unlocked. Tune it with the machines... and thoroughly stretch the strings while tuning back to where you want it. After you've stretched them really well, tune it up with the machines one last time, THEN lock it and use the fine tuners from then on.

Also, the purpose of stretching the strings isn't to make them easier to bend... it's so that they don't stretch as much when it's in tune which would throw your guitar out of tune.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
It's unlocked when you change the strings. Leave it unlocked. Tune it with the machines... and thoroughly stretch the strings while tuning back to where you want it. After you've stretched them really well, tune it up with the machines one last time, THEN lock it and use the fine tuners from then on.

...but I'm just wanting to use a different tuning, no new strings, sorry if I didn't say that. So I would unlock the nut?
yeah, then you have to unlock the nut. But when you change the tuning of 1 string on a floyd rose, the rest will go flat or sharp as well.. so you'll wind up retuning the whole thing again.

For example: If you're in standard E tuning and you want to drop the E into drop D, the rest of the strings are going to go sharp because of the slack in the E string. It's a pain in the ass

Another thing to note is that if you put it into another tuning the floating bridge isn't going to sit like it did in the tuning you had it set up for.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by teethdude
I'm a bit of a noob to floyd rose's, but right now I'm using a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a floyd rose in standard tuning, how would I go about tuning it? Would I just get an allen key, unlock the nut and tune using the machine heads to tune it to 1 step down and the just re lock the nut in place?

Reildeal is making way more complicated and confusing than it needs to be. Don't listen to him. Yes, you would get an allen key to undo the locking nut, then use the tuning heads to get to your desired tuning. Keep in mind, when you tune down or up, it may(probably will) require you to adjust (tighten or loosen them) the springs on the Floyd Rose to keep it parallel to the body of the guitar as best you can. After you have properly adjusted springs for the new tunings, you would put the strings clamps back on. The use the fine tuners located on the FR because when you put the strings clamps back on, it may go out of tune a bit.
Be cool.
Quote by Reildeal
yeah, then you have to unlock the nut. But when you change the tuning of 1 string on a floyd rose, the rest will go flat or sharp as well.. so you'll wind up retuning the whole thing again.

For example: If you're in standard E tuning and you want to drop the E into drop D, the rest of the strings are going to go sharp because of the slack in the E string. It's a pain in the ass

Another thing to note is that if you put it into another tuning the floating bridge isn't going to sit like it did in the tuning you had it set up for.

F*** then I shouldn't of gotten a Floyd Rose, so what do I do now, buy a guitar without a Floyd rose that I can actually Tune?
Quote by thedude051
Reildeal is making way more complicated and confusing than it needs to be. Don't listen to him. Yes, you would get an allen key to undo the locking nut, then use the tuning heads to get to your desired tuning. Keep in mind, when you tune down or up, it may(probably will) require you to adjust (tighten or loosen them) the springs on the Floyd Rose to keep it parallel to the body of the guitar as best you can. After you have properly adjusted springs for the new tunings, you would put the strings clamps back on. The use the fine tuners located on the FR because when you put the strings clamps back on, it may go out of tune a bit.

umm k. and that was less complicated for him? I'd tell the kid not to listen to you..

Yeah Teeth, FR's can be a pain in the butt for tuning changes..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
umm k. and that was less complicated for him? I'd tell the kid not to listen to you

In what was was that complicated. Please, elaborate.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
In what was was that complicated. Please, elaborate.

The fact that a FR is a complicated device in itself. Now you're telling him to adjust the springs and everything else(which is necessary depending on the extent of the tuning change), while I was just telling him what would happen. You could have just come in here and said "This is an easier way to explain this", but you come in here and straight up chump me when I was trying help someone?

Dickish man.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
The fact that a FR is a complicated device in itself. Now you're telling him to adjust the springs and everything else(which is necessary depending on the extent of the tuning change), while I was just telling him what would happen. You could have just come in here and said "This is an easier way to explain this", but you come in here and straight up chump me when I was trying help someone?

Dickish man.

Thats the problem. I wasn't quite to sure that you were helping him in the first place...
Be cool.
I'm not sure you did either man... But let the kid decide for himself before you come in all "holier than thou" telling him who to and who not to listen to...

Didn't realize "guitar god" himself was going to come in here and rectify the situation otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at May 15, 2008,
My bad teeth...

Anyways, there's a good floyd rose setup guide as a sticky in this forum... The best way to learn the ins and outs of a FR is by experience with it. It's a great setup, just gets to be a pain in the ass sometimes..

Good luck bro
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
My bad teeth...

Anyways, there's a good floyd rose setup guide as a sticky in this forum... The best way to learn the ins and outs of a FR is by experience with it. It's a great setup, just gets to be a pain in the ass sometimes..

Good luck bro

One last question, would it be possible to unlock the nut and leave the machine heads to hold the strings in place rather than reclamp down the nut?
Quote by teethdude
One last question, would it be possible to unlock the nut and leave the machine heads to hold the strings in place rather than reclamp down the nut?

Yeah, it would drop out of tune and need retuning a little more frequently, but I've seen plenty of people play without them
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator