Hey guys, my band's bassist and I had a falling out which made him leave the band, I've been searching my town for bass players and have failed to find one. I decided to make my own, I've got a friend who played drums for a while so he's farmiliar with time signitures and can hold time. I've asked him to play for us, he is more than happy to, the only set back is a bass guitar, he's a major tight ass a refuses to pay over 300$ Australian for a package deal. (270$ American) what can I say/do to infulence him to want to buy a decent bass?
$270 American for a starter pack, you mean? No wonder he won't pay that. That's a ripoff.

If you want to play gigs, tell him to get a beginner bass (Ibanez would work well) and actually spend money on a decent amp.
Yeah...have him get a beginner Ibanez (usually about only $200).

As for an amp, you might have to chip in a little...
The.
Good news my friends! I took him to the store and hooked up a guitar and the bass I wanted him to buy. I played Helicopter by Bloc Party and showed him how the bass score, he caught on rather quickly, intrested now that we played along togeather a little bit . I've convinced him to buy an Ashton starter pack, it's got an Ashton AB2, which has a nice feel to it, (not quite the ibanez quality) but it's a step up from the Ebay special he was going to get. The amp is nice and clear but still versitile, comes with a strap, lead, DVD and built in tuner (great for a newb)

Great for practice, for gigs we just use pedals so the amp doesn't need to be that great

Thanks for the tips guys I'll let you know if we're a success
no, dude, pedals wont help the amp. if you have a nice sounding amp, you wont NEED pedals. maybe the basic pedals, although i dont even like or use any bass pedals, because my bass already has an active boost on it anyway. so if you're gigging, get a loud amp, but also something that has a nice perfect tone to it
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
no, dude, pedals wont help the amp. if you have a nice sounding amp, you wont NEED pedals. maybe the basic pedals, although i dont even like or use any bass pedals, because my bass already has an active boost on it anyway. so if you're gigging, get a loud amp, but also something that has a nice perfect tone to it

Nah, I mean plug the pedals into the systems they have at the gig.
Well, we all have our opinions. If it were my money (and I didn't have much), I'd head straight for the nearest Epi Thunderbird. This is NOT just a "beginner bass", this is a damn fine bass at a damn good price, and you may never feel you can do better.
Quote by phank
Well, we all have our opinions. If it were my money (and I didn't have much), I'd head straight for the nearest Epi Thunderbird. This is NOT just a "beginner bass", this is a damn fine bass at a damn good price, and you may never feel you can do better.

Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by UltimateDud
Nah, I mean plug the pedals into the systems they have at the gig.

Yea, but what he meant to said was, what if you ever play gigs that don't have a PA? Anyway as you've already got the set, there's not much changing it anyway. If it's audible next to the drumset it alright, I guess. But your friend will be wanting to get a better bass pretty soon.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73