Because of UG's lack of support for the tag, discuss Death Note in this thread.

If you have not seen Death Note, and do not want spoilers, leave this thread. There will be spoilers.

Now, to continue the discussion from the "animez" thread, no, there are no spoilers in my post. (See "animez" thread for the post.)

Anyone who heard the first conversation between Light and Ryuk about the Note would know that Light would die. Ryuk told him straight to his face, "I will eventually write your name in the Note," so it was known through the series that it would end with Light's death.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I loved Death Note, but i stopped watching at around episode 22 or so and now i feel like i'd have to watch every episode over again to understand everything again.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by Pookie6
I loved Death Note, but i stopped watching at around episode 22 or so and now i feel like i'd have to watch every episode over again to understand everything again.

And what's wrong with starting again?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
And what's wrong with starting again?

youu have to start over D:
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
I don't feel like it haha

Not that it's bad or anything, it's one of my favorite shows. It's just i don't feel like taking the time to watch all them over.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Anyone else think they should've ended it with the death of L?

All the Near/Mello stuff was just never as good as the stuff with L.
I liked Near. Mello was a wanker though.
I didn't mind it after L died, it was an interesting twist that the series needed.

If it was just Light wins, L looses. Or L catches Light, it would of just been boring and cliché.
It was better when it was Light against L. But the first time you see Mello, when he bites off the piece of chocolate, it was the most dramatic thing ever
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Waff
I watched the whole series in a day. It was about 12-13 hours. I was very bored... The series is very well-written. It's also very intelligent. Anyone that enjoys psychological stuff would enjoy it. I was satisfied with the ending.. Brilliant!

It truly was. It was the most well-written animated television show I've ever seen.

And L was extremely unique as a character. That's always a plus.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by IcePh0enix
Such a great show. Did anybody else think Mello was a girl the first time you saw him?

I thought Mello was a girl for the longest time. Since I watched it in Japanese, there are no "he" or "she" words, so I had to wait till he talked.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Death note is one of my favorite anime ever
I've heard some people say that Light dies in a swimming pool at the end. Was this an alternate ending or a joke or something?
Quote by moogaar
Death note is one of my favorite anime ever
I've heard some people say that Light dies in a swimming pool at the end. Was this an alternate ending or a joke or something?

Maybe in the live action movie? I haven't seen it, but I know it's changed. Like the way L dies is different.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by Ichikurosaki
There's an lol joke video of Light spazzing out in the warehouse near the end.
I quote: "SWIM. WITH. ALL. YOUR. MIGHT!"

Could that have anything to do with it?

Ooh yeah! I remember that video! My friend showed it to me before I'd ever started watching the show... I had no idea what was going on.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by Ichikurosaki
There's an lol joke video of Light spazzing out in the warehouse near the end.
I quote: "SWIM. WITH. ALL. YOUR. MIGHT!"

Could that have anything to do with it?

that might have been it.
i just remember hearing from multiple people that Light wins in the end and his dream kingdom is achieved.
he goes on to become a swimming teacher, and has a heart attack in the middle of the pool.

i wonder where they got that O_o
FANBOIIII

I have to say, there is no possible way Near and Mello could have succeeded where L failed. It just doesn't make sense.
And I don't think Light's death was pathetic...But his capture sure was. Ryuk was the saving grace at that point in the manga. I wasn't quite sure what was going on by then though, since there had been a ****load of seemingly unnecessary fake/real Death Note shufflings which seemed hardly a fitting end to Raito, who would've definitely been able to get out of such a fix, having gotten through L's grueling interrogations.
Lastly, I must point out that even though everyone already knows it, Light and L were totally gay together.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by freedoms_stain
Anyone else think they should've ended it with the death of L?

Hell yes. The live action movie (features the guy from Iron Chef, and L is awesome too) AND director's cut both skipped the stupid Mello/Near arc. Besides, what's wrong about letting a bad guy win? Still, I did like the last episode, it was poetic.

PS: Awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2avdf289OY
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 15, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Hell yes. The live action movie (features the guy from Iron Chef, and L is awesome too) AND director's cut both skipped the stupid Mello/Near arc. Besides, what's wrong about letting a bad guy win? Still, I did like the last episode, it was poetic.

PS: Awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2avdf289OY

haha, i love that video!
i was actually about to post it
i just watched it all, and i really didnt like the ending.

after such a smart series the end was just shit.

the second last episode pwned all over the last.

i loved it all tho, is there any anime i should watch now that is similar?
L dies.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Death Note is my favorite manga of all time. L was without a doubt my favorite character....i took some character test with like 15 options after reading the first 2 chapters and got L, so i liked him from the beginning, and it was cool because he turned out to be quite the intelligent character

I finished the 12 books, read the 13th book (Death Note encyclopedia) and then read the Death Note Novel The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases (Beyond Birthday is my second favorite character, he is so incredibly smart it's ridiculous)
I still find it amusing that L's deductive ability drops 40% if he sits like a normal person.

Awesome series though
My Gear:
Ashton AG131
Ashton GA10 (amp)
Marshall MG250DX (gasp, i know...)
Ibanez S470DXQM
EH Metal Muff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") ... he's gaining power
Death Note is wonderful, but it gets pretty irritating for a while when Light looses his memory.
It was so good when he got it back and took out L though

I didn't like the end of the series, though. It was a bit drawn out and anti climatic
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
WARNING: A few majorish spoilers, regarding the ending and crap.

I liked the series up to the last episode. It was the most ****ing anti-climactic ending I've ever seen.
It didn't bother me that Light died, and all that crap, it was that everyone else did not die. I seriously hated every character in the series, but there some I hated more than the others.
Apart from that it was great though. The series lost some of it's momentum after L died, but not too much.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Sheepdragon
WARNING: A few majorish spoilers, regarding the ending and crap.

I liked the series up to the last episode. It was the most ****ing anti-climactic ending I've ever seen.
It didn't bother me that Light died, and all that crap, it was that everyone else did not die. I seriously hated every character in the series, but there some I hated more than the others.
Apart from that it was great though. The series lost some of it's momentum after L died, but not too much.

For the most part, I agree. I can't say that I hated every character, but I definitely hated Near and Mello. Also, how the **** could they allow Misa to survive?

If you watch the last episode you'll notice that there is like a plane engine sound during one of the kind of awkward pauses right before they shoot Light. I wish that they could have ended it by having Light (as a back-up strategy in the case that he was defeated by Near) cause the pilot to crash the plane into the warehouse, thus wiping out all of the "good" and "bad" characters in one fell swoop (as long as he was aware of the pilots name and appearance, he could definitely have set this up in advance). It just seems that his death was rather pathetic. I know that his downfall acts to show the truth of the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" statement, but still, he should have had a back-up strategy. It just seems like they made Light considerably dumber at the end of the show so that he could be defeated. The Light in the first 20 episodes would never have been taken down by Near's half-ass strategy.

For some reason I can't stop laughing at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvgncdE4fIA&feature=related
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I agree with that. I was really disappointed when Light lost. But this is definatly my favorite anime.
Theres a new anime called Kurozuka which is made by the creators of Death Note. Its really good.
Quote by Sheepdragon
I make good points and have a good opinion.

I agree with you, so much
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.