Page 1 of 9
(For all of you that havent heard it yet, Gay Marriage was ruled to be legal in California this morning)

I have a few immediate result problems that I would like to discuss.

I'm really freaked out about this right now.

Keep in mind, I am straight, however I have nothing against gay rights. If they want legal status, give them legal status and the same benefits as marriage, its only right. But it is my personal opinion that marriage is marriage, its between a man and a woman, thus gay people cannot be "married." Call it Garriage for all I care.

But here's a few immediate probablys that face California now.

1- First thing that comes to mind, gay couples all over the country will be flocking to California in the next few months, only to cause controversy as the case is sent from the State supreme court to the US supreme court.

In reality, the matter has not been solved, this WILL go to the supreme court this summer. But in the meantime, millions of couples will be married in california.

2- What happens when these families want to return to their home state, only to realize their marriage is not only not recognized in their home state, but is actually illegal?

I think this issue was not thought through very well by the Supreme Court. There will be tons of problems coming our way in the very near future. California pretty much just got all the other states pissed at it.

My two cents. Thoughts?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 15, 2008,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I ain't give a fuck!

Get an opinion on the most important Civil Rights topic of the decade or GTFO.
-Jim Morrison
^+1

Too be honest, I don't give two ****s for what people do on their own private property, and out of my sight, but please stay the **** away from me with that gay ****.
I think it's a great thing that they're legalizing this.

But if they get married without realizing that's it's outlawed in the majority of states, then it's their problem.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Get an opinion on the most important Civil Rights topic of the decade or GTFO.

Lol, how is it important? Being homosexual is a choice, not a requirement, nor an innate characteristic, in the past, people have been discriminated against for innate characteristics, and that would warrant consideration, but I can't take people who have made a choice to be gay and limit their rights seriously.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
(For all of you that havent heard it yet, Gay Marriage was ruled to be legal in California this morning)

I have a few immediate result problems that I would like to discuss.

I'm really freaked out about this right now.

Keep in mind, I am straight, however I have nothing against gay rights. If they want legal status, give them legal status and the same benefits as marriage, its only right. But it is my personal opinion that marriage is marriage, its between a man and a woman, thus gay people cannot be "married." Call it Garriage for all I care.

But here's a few immediate probablys that face California now.

1- First thing that comes to mind, gay couples all over the country will be flocking to California in the next few months, only to cause controversy as the case is sent from the State supreme court to the US supreme court.

In reality, the matter has not been solved, this WILL go to the supreme court this summer. But in the meantime, millions of couples will be married in california.

2- What happens when these families want to return to their home state, only to realize their marriage is not only not recognized in their home state, but is actually illegal?

I think this issue was not thought through very well by the Supreme Court. There will be tons of problems coming our way in the very near future. California pretty much just got all the other states pissed at it.

My two cents. Thoughts?

Go back to church.
sup?
Quote by JFAC10
Lol, how is it important? Being homosexual is a choice, not a requirement, nor an innate characteristic, in the past, people have been discriminated against for innate characteristics, and that would warrant consideration, but I can't take people who have made a choice to be gay and limit their rights seriously.

Shut the hell up. Don't talk about things you do not understand.
Quote by JFAC10

Hahaha! I was waiting for someone to use the good ol' 'It's a choice' argument. Yeah, sure.

I agree with TS, I see marriage as something between a man and a woman. I'm all for civil partnerships and whatnot, but dunno if it's for me, personally.
Quote by Luizza69
What do you mean by #2?

The point I was trying to make was that, this summer, we will have lots of gay couples in America who went to california to get married, then returned to their home state as a married couple... Ideally, this would be fine, except no state would recognize their marriage.
-Jim Morrison
So your saying that a gay couple that loves each other doesnt have the right to get married, but a straight couple that hates eachother can???

Three letters: WTF
?!
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

+1
sup?
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

I don't see how the gay issue affects non-gays, and that is why I don't care. Gays have never had a tiny impact in my life, and so I have no reason to care about the issue. If gays want to be married, fine by me, once again, just don't interfere with me.
*Waits for the resident homophobes to tell us that all the gays are going to hell.*
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by JFAC10

Three of my best friends are gay. One's a man, two are women. None of them say that their sexual orientation was a choice.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RandyVanhalen13
its wrong to deny anyone their natural rights

Define natural rights.
Quote by ldl67
Go back to church.

I don't go to church, good sir. =)

It just so happens that I believe marriage should be left alone.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Three of my best friends are gay. One's a man, two are women. None of them say that their sexual orientation was a choice.

Regardless of what they say, they made the choice to be gay, I used to be friends with a kid in middle school and we spread apart in high school, and now he joined drama, is gay, and all around just a bitch. A total choice. Once again, I have no position on the issue.
Quote by JFAC10
^+1

Too be honest, I don't give two ****s for what people do on their own private property, and out of my sight, but please stay the **** away from me with that gay ****.

please stay the **** away from me with that intolerant ****.

jackass.

Quote by JFAC10
Regardless of what they say, they made the choice to be gay, I used to be friends with a kid in middle school and we spread apart in high school, and now he joined drama, is gay, and all around just a bitch. A total choice. Once again, I have no position on the issue.

Wrong.
You on the other had did make the choice to be an intolerant piece of ****.
Quote by JFAC10

Homosexuality is not a choice.

End of argument.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by JFAC10

Do you have any proof to base that homosexuals choose to be gay?

How could you possibly have any idea, particularly if, as you say, you've never had anything to do with gay people in your life?

You've pretty much just outed yourself as the definition of ignorance. Well done.

(Pun totally intended, btw.)
I say whatever, let them do whatever they want, it doesnt affect me and doesnt really affect any straight people, just pisses homophobes off.
Quote by JFAC10

Being gay is not a f*cking choice, you're born that way...
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by SlinkyBlue

It just so happens that I believe marriage should be left alone.

Why is that?

Do you think just because "marriage is defined as a partnership between a man and a woman," gay marriages shouldn't be allowed? That is a pathetic excuse, and it seems to be the only excuse I've heard to not allow gay marriage.
sup?
Quote by hugmeplz

jackass.

Wrong.

How am I intolerant? I have no problem with gays, as long as they do not interfere with ME, do you understand? I would say that is completed justified. As long as a gay guy does not come up and start hitting on me, I DO NOT CARE what gays do, to make it simple.
Quote by JFAC10

Climb out from under your rock and learn a little bit about the topic before making ignorant comments. kthanxbai.

Also, I'm entirely pro gay rights. 100%. This whole thing is just one massive case of prejudice and discrimination based solely on the morals and ideas of Christians, which shows a great lacking in the seperation of church and state, IMO.

Anyone who says this issue isn't grounded in religion has some sort of issues. If it wasn't for the Bible saying it was "bad", then no one would care. Case closed.

So, in short, there is no reason in my mind why there should be any discrimination on a governmental level (because there will always be pricks, sadly) that will treat homosexuals as second-class citizens.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by JFAC10

I'm sorry, but you are the kind of person that I think cause so many problems in this world. Have you ever met anyone who was a homosexual and struggling with it? Have you ever had anyone cry on your shoulder for 2 hours because they were being harassed by everyone, they were confused about the way they were, but couldn't help it and couldn't change it? I wish people like you could be reborn gay so you could ****ing realize that it's not a choice, it's the way they ****ing are. Deal with it or shut the **** up.

How can people still even think it's a choice? I thought that was all propaganda bull**** of the past, but apparently ignorance is everlasting.
Quote by hugmeplz

jackass.

Wrong.

Stay away from us with your hippie ****

I love how you left wingers are allowed to your opinions but shut down others.

Gay marriage should never be legalized.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Welcome to the party, California. Massachusetts has been doing this for a while and it's about time another state stopped discriminating against gay people who wish to get married.

Think of this way: it was once taboo for people to inter-racially marry. Women only got the right to vote in the last hundred years. This is the natural progression of society, as people begin to realize that you can't discriminate against others if you truly want a free and just society.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

So you think you can go up to one of your friends and say "You cant ever get married because you arent attracted to the opposite sex."

Seriously WTF.
?!
Quote by sixhundredsix
Welcome to the party, California. Massachusetts has been doing this for a while and it's about time another state stopped discriminating against gay people who wish to get married.

Think of this way: it was once taboo for people to inter-racially marry. Women only got the right to vote in the last hundred years. This is the natural progression of society, as people begin to realize that you can't discriminate against others if you truly want a free and just society.

+1 This is another step towards freedom and acceptance, and a step away from ignorance.
Quote by JFAC10
How am I intolerant? I have no problem with gays, as long as they do not interfere with ME, do you understand? I would say that is completed justified. As long as a gay guy does not come up and start hitting on me, I DO NOT CARE what gays do, to make it simple.

I'm pretty sure if I were to say exactly what you did, but replace 'gays' with something like 'blacks' or 'Jewish' or 'disabled people', and changed the 'hitting on me' to something else, you'd be calling me a bigot.