Yea i am 90% sure i am gonna get a epiphone g-400 and i have read soo many reviews about the pickups and how they need to be better.

Soo i wanna know which pickups are good for mainly rock,hardrock,punk and metal.
The bands i want my guitar to sound like is System of a down, the rasmus, guns n roses, AC/DC, The offspring, and maybe even some Ted Nudget lol.

The amp i am gonna use is the line 6 spider 3 or 2 amp 15 watt for now cause money is limited.

anyway please give me the best pickup choices to replace the ones that i tried out at the guitar store Thanks
Instead of spending money on pickups, get an EQ pedal. You'd be amazed at what magic those things can work through even shoddy amps.
i was wondering the exact same thing. i was thinking about get duncan invaders. either that or the passive emgs.

also, i was wondering how much body routing i would have to do if i was gonna put a kahler hybrid tremolo in it?
spiders suck? i thought there were good the guys at the store said the effects and distortion rock
Spiders are digital SS amps. They can do some good recording with passive
pickups...but their dynamic range is very limited. As Players grow and learn
more techniques the Spider wont produce the sounds that they are creating
with the new skills theyve learned. As a player gets better they will eventually
out-grow them.

As for pickups...you can get a G-400 custom with active emgs and a set neck..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
As for pickups...you can get a G-400 custom with active emgs and a set neck..

All G-400's have a set neck.

As far as pickups go, I'm a fan of the Duncan Distortion set myself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

alrite if you go to my profile and listen to clips you can hear what my G-400 w/ Seymour duncan hot rodded set (jeff beck sig in the bridge and jazz in the neck) sound like on the blackheart little giant mini stack).

HONESTLY you should look into spending extra money on a better AMP before pups. 57' classics would prolly sound great through a nice amp but overpriced. my pups sound perfect for those styles, though it has more to do w/ the amp. you need to get something that is geared towards mid-gain rock and then throw an OD pedal in front.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
oh and don't get active EMGs unless you're just playing death/heavy metal only. those pups don't really do great at anything else, everything i tried w/ em other than metal sounded 'ok' at best. i'd rather have pups that sound great at everything and still good (but not the BEST and most extreme) at death metal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
oh and don't get active EMGs unless you're just playing death/heavy metal only. those pups don't really do great at anything else, everything i tried w/ em other than metal sounded 'ok' at best.

Are you kidding me? seriously? active EMG's can do anything you want them too.
Thats like saying you can only use a power chord for rock music...or drop tunings
for metal. When I strike an A-chord with my 81/85 combo it sounds epic.

The preamp in the EMGs can give a slight compressed sound...and some people
dont like it..but to make a quote like that...you have absolutely no idea what youre talkin about.. With 5 watts of solid state in front of your guitar..youre not gonna even hear the difference anyway..

I got 100 watts of tube sitting on a B-52 cab ( 4..12inch celestion 30'z)...My Hot rod combo..same as you have..cant even come close to my EMG's
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 16, 2008,
price range?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
With 5 watts of solid state in front of your guitar..youre not gonna even hear the difference anyway..

I really hope you are not saying that slashrocks2005's blackheart is a 5w solid state amp.
EMG-81 (Bridge)
EMG-85 (Neck)
EMG-AB (Afterburner 20-db Gain Booster)
(....There's Several Different 81/85 Active Signature Pickup Sets; Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society), Kerry King (Slayer) & the Kerry King Set comes with a 20-db "Pa-2" Gain Booster, etc....)

or you could try the Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker in the Bridge, And a DiMarzio Super Distortion 2 in the Neck Position....that's a wicked sick Combonation....
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by yoyodunno
I really hope you are not saying that slashrocks2005's blackheart is a 5w solid state amp.

Ok..so its a tube..one tube..
5watts pushing one 12 ...at 16 ohms is still not enough for most pups
to sound like they have much if any difference at all..
I probably don't know what the hell I'm saying but what about EMG-81TW (Coil Tap) and EMG 89 Split Coil (Also coil tap)

Also slash uses Alnico II Pro pickups but not sure about the others. Also Damien Malakian from SOAD never even wanted to be a guitarist... he wanted to be a drummer. Just wanted to point that out.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Don't get a Spider.
Distortion on it is pretty weak

Try a Blackheart Little Giant halfstack
with a distortion pedal.

Then buy pickups later, because the pickups on the G-400 are decent.
I recommend getting Dimarzio D Activators later.
you say you want your guitar to sound a certain way, but I think you mean you want your amp to sound like those bands...so get a good amp. dont worry about the pickups so much...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
ok soo get a blackheart? amp? or a small fender? or a peavey? or a crate? i can only spend liek 120 bucks on a small amp help
If you've not got much money then the best thing to get is like a small 5w tube amp like an Epi Valve Jr or a Fender Champion 600. There's probably others but those are my two top picks for affordable tube amps (I had the Epi Valve Jr and it was great all-around, but I traded it for the Fender Champ 600 because I play clean more and the Fender was more suited to that).

When you're playing at that kind of level then the Epi stock pickups are good enough anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hold off on your pickups for a while and get either the stack or combo version of the Blackheart Little Giant. The Epi pickups on the G-400 will do for now. Then, get a cheap distortion pedal for your higher gain needs.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Last edited by C40.is.hot at May 17, 2008,
Quote by EpiGuitarBoy
spiders suck? i thought there were good the guys at the store said the effects and distortion rock

The guy was trying doing his job and make a sale
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
save up more or else you'll kick yourself in the ass. $300 should be the bare MINIMUM for a new amp. and that's only if you're going for say a blackheart or valve junior plus OD pedal.

and Washburned Fretz, the blackheart is 5 watts all tube, i DO know what i'm talking about, and if you don't think you can hear a difference in pups at a measly 5 watts (sarcasmmmm) then obviously you haven't done the comparison yourself.

and make sure you understand the quote, i said EMGS don't do GREAT at styles other than metal and hard rock, and you may have EQ'd your amp just right to sound like a classic rock machine (ionno how you do AWESOME classic rock on a 6505 but if you can then power to it) but i doubt you can use those same exact settings on your amp for everything. active EMGS cause a higher output than most pups and therefor add a lotta signal driving the amp so if you can do 'awesome' jazz on your 6505 then i gotta see it!!

patronizing aside i got your point and respect it, but don't view me as close minded, i speak from my own personal experience and try hard not to give faulty advice to less experienced players. alrite i think that little dispute is over now
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
"spiders suck? i thought there were good the guys at the store said the effects and distortion rock"

that's a really awesome quote b/c it clearly sums up the goal of all guitar salesmen (or all salesmen in that fact) to the tee.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Ok..so its a tube..one tube..
5watts pushing one 12 ...at 16 ohms is still not enough for most pups
to sound like they have much if any difference at all..

Learn more about wattage before you make such a stupid comment. Blackheart uses two tubes by the way, pre amp and power amp.