Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar now for 5 months...I was loaned(At first he told me I could have it but then went all Indian-Trader on me and said he didnt give it to me) my 1st guitar and gave it back a couple of days ago...I bought my 1st Acoustic back in Feb (an Alvarez RD20 SCSB) and love it...Anyways after I gave my cousin back 'his' guitar I decided I wanted a 2nd acoustic for different tunings and to carry around with me...Basically, A cheaper guitar.

Since I had the day off I drove all around hitting up pawn shops trying to find some good deals...There were a couple but nothing that really grabbed me...So I ended up going to the local music shop to just 'look around' at some lower ends. I ended up spending $700 on my new guitar! But hear me out...It's a friggin Simon & Patrick Showcase series. An S&P SC RW CW to be exact. It was listed as $1,365, Stickered at $1,030...So, That's an awesome deal right? She wanted to know how much it costs and I told her(didnt even get to tell her it was almost 50% off) so now she's ticked and will not talk to me, Went to bed early, etc...I kind of feel bad (always do after a major purchase) but Hey!, It was my money and I deserve an awesome guitar ....Besides, I've had lots of practice making up with her in the past so no sweat.

BTW...The guitar sounds beautiful. I would'nt have paid $1,000-1,300 for it but for 700 I just HAD to do it...What do you guys think?
Wow your fiance sounds like a douche.

Why would she guilt trip you? It's your money.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
For future reference. Always notify the missus before any purchase over 100$.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Nearly everything is sold for much less than the list price.
Example: Heritage Cherry Gibson SG.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGSTD

List Price:$2,419.00
Actual Price:$1,572.00

You actually probably could have bargained them to ~$800 if you were good enough.
Creator of the Llamastack

woman...what can i say theyll find anything to get mad about...i wouldnt feel bad theres probably some underlying reason that no man would think of or understand.
Quote by punkrocker10115
Wow your fiance sounds like a douche.

Why would she guilt trip you? It's your money.

So true. Slap her and tell her to make you a sandwich... while naked.
Lol...Yeah, I got it for $700...She'll be alright. Maybe I can find some nice flowers for 50% off tommorrow.
Quote by engine11
Lol...Yeah, I got it for $700...She'll be alright. Maybe I can find some nice flowers for 50% off tommorrow.

Figure out how much she spends on tampons each year, and yell "At least I didn't waste $$$ on tampons!"
Quote by Habit Zero
Figure out how much she spends on tampons each year, and yell "At least I didn't waste $$$ on tampons!"

ha ha ha ha thats ****in great.
wow, what the heck. did a whole bunch of the pit crowd just come in here? -.-

anyway, i think you got a decent purchase. S&P's are great guitars. never played a high end one before though. how is it?
Quote by captivate
wow, what the heck. did a whole bunch of the pit crowd just come in here? -.-

anyway, i think you got a decent purchase. S&P's are great guitars. never played a high end one before though. how is it?

Hey captivate, I like it alot...It's got more of a rugged feel(In a 'good way') than my Alvarez...Has solid Rosewood back and sides a solid spruce top, Mahogany neck, Comes stock with a Tusq saddle, and nut and the bridge pins look to be bone...It's perfect sound-wise except one area to me...The Bass, It's a little weak to me but I like to have a booming bass sound... The strings need a changing so hopefully that will straighten it out. The action is very good but I have to get used to the 'rugged' feel of the neck for sliding around on the fret-board(I usually palm the neck but that's my fault for bad technique). As soon as I throw some Elixir nano's on it I'll tell you more about it.

BTW...I know you're always recommending the Seagull, One of the pawn shops I went to had one, It was blemished up pretty good...looked like the owner severely neglected it...It had a broken A string and broken bridge pin for said string. I played it anyways and it still sounded good! I finger-picked brain damage on it and was very impressed but they wanted 349.00 for it and would'nt budge...Considering the things that were wrong w/it I could'nt justify buying it. But since I got another cut-away I may go for a seagull dread next time(Probably a long time from now).
Last edited by engine11 at May 16, 2008,
Quote by engine11
BTW...I know you're always recommending the Seagull, One of the pawn shops I went to had one, It was blemished up pretty good...looked like the owner severely neglected it...It had a broken A string and broken bridge pin for said string. I played it anyways and it still sounded good! I finger-picked brain damage on it and was very impressed but they wanted 349.00 for it and would'nt budge...Considering the things that were wrong w/it I could'nt justify buying it. But since I got another cut-away I may go for a seagull dread next time(Probably a long time from now).

cool stuff, cool stuff! haha, its kinda funny. i always suggest seagulls, but i dont really like the sound that much. not my cup of tea. i suggest them all the time because they're good and well built guitars, but now that i have my martin, nothing compares as far as im concerned
Quote by captivate
wow, what the heck. did a whole bunch of the pit crowd just come in here?

my sentiments exactly. it is pretty apparent that none of the relevant posters have any experience dealing with women. she's his fiance guys. one day you'll understand. until then, keep your nonsense comments to yourself.

TS... congrats on the new guitar! sounds like you got a good deal to me. care to post some pictures?
The guys that are shocked that she acted that way have never been in a committed relationship. I'm betting less than 1% of the worlds women would have simply smiled, said, 'Hey cool!' and went to bed. Any big ticket items are a 'discussed decision'. Learn that now so you're not shocked later. This is how the sh*t works. Sucks, but unfortunately, the keepers of the pussy make the rules.
I dont know if shes like that now, dont marry her.
seriously man dont get yourself into this **** if shes like this and its not even her money.
If you ask me its ganna get worser when you tie the knot.
If you do marry her get a knub trust me just do becuase from what your telling me, i dont mean to be a dick or anything, it aint ganna work out, i give it a 3 years max and then youll want to leave that bitch no matter what its ganna cost you, half your house alomony but make sure you deside before the first ten years or else youll have to give alomony for sure for life.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 16, 2008,
^ What the hell is a "knub"??? and "alomony"???

Quote by jimtaka
my sentiments exactly. it is pretty apparent that none of the relevant posters have any experience dealing with women. she's his fiance guys. one day you'll understand. until then, keep your nonsense comments to yourself.
LOL, definitely agree. I've been wondering what the median demographics on this forum are. Judging from the replies in this thread, I'm going to place my bet on 16 year old boys still struggling to make it past second base. I mean this in the nicest possible way, little dudes - you have looooooong, miserable and lonely lives ahead of you if you keep these attitudes up.
Last edited by sunshowers at May 16, 2008,
^nah that guy has a long misserable life ahead of him if he marries that "ONE" not baggin all women just her.
oh and i mean pre-knub
oh yes and dont have any kids the first 5 years shell be presuring for a kid i bet 6 months-1 year into it, how much you wanna bet.
Can a mod please do all of us a favor and close this thread, before more pre-pubs try their "Improv" routine online?
^^ AGREED. Best contribution so far right there.

Quote by the-kidR44

oh and i mean pre-knub
*shakes head* You mean a prenuptial agreement. Please learn to spell before you start dispensing legal advice.
Quote by TokyoNeko
Can a mod please do all of us a favor and close this thread, before more pre-pubs try their "Improv" routine online?

ONE name for yah and please please please please please look it up
TOM LYCUS
Honestly, the fact that you already have 1 guitar AND you spend $700 on a SECOND guitar is gonna eat at her. Not matter how good of a deal or how different of a sound between the 2, she'll see them as just 2 guitars when you only need one. Dont try to justify it by saying that they're 2 different tunings either as she will accuse you of being lazy and not tuning down your 1 guitar. The worst thing u can do is say "well you spend $x on this and that". Don't blame her for your purchase as women do NOT react well to unnecessary blame. And lastly, the fact that you 2 are engaged makes your money, "our" money. She'll see it as $700 that could have gone towards the wedding or something.

I'd recommend just apologizing but saying that this guitar makes you happy and that you promise to write her a song that will make her happy. And then write a song about how you were stupid and spent $$ on the guitar but it doesn't matter b/c you're going to spend the rest of your life with the most beautiful girl in the world etc. etc. etc.

My 2 cents
Quote by fsb_ben
Honestly, the fact that you already have 1 guitar AND you spend $700 on a SECOND guitar is gonna eat at her. Not matter how good of a deal or how different of a sound between the 2, she'll see them as just 2 guitars when you only need one. Dont try to justify it by saying that they're 2 different tunings either as she will accuse you of being lazy and not tuning down your 1 guitar. The worst thing u can do is say "well you spend $x on this and that". Don't blame her for your purchase as women do NOT react well to unnecessary blame. And lastly, the fact that you 2 are engaged makes your money, "our" money. She'll see it as $700 that could have gone towards the wedding or something.

I'd recommend just apologizing but saying that this guitar makes you happy and that you promise to write her a song that will make her happy. And then write a song about how you were stupid and spent $$ on the guitar but it doesn't matter b/c you're going to spend the rest of your life with the most beautiful girl in the world etc. etc. etc.

My 2 cents

lol, Dont get me wrong, I completely understand where she's coming from and I'm not blaming her at all...Before I even bought it I was trying to talk myself out of it since I'm still somewhat of a beginner and probably lack the skills of someone who is usually associated with this particular kind of guitar. We've been together(more importantly living together) for a long time now and have been engaged since I got back from being deployed 4 years ago...never have any problems. She's more ticked off that I didnt talk to her about it before-hand. No worries...The smoothing-over process has already begun

Back to the topic, The whole point of the thread was... is my purchase/point of view justified( Yes, I'm only half-serious as this is a message board and all)?

Jimtaka...I lack the required tools to post personal pics on here
But can you explain to me what a 'select pressure tested solid spruce top' means?
Quote by engine11
Back to the topic, The whole point of the thread was... is my purchase/point of view justified( Yes, I'm only half-serious as this is a message board and all)?

Jimtaka...I lack the required tools to post personal pics on here
But can you explain to me what a 'select pressure tested solid spruce top' means?

as long as you dont buy another guitar for a LONG time, i think you'll be alright =P ahaha. it certainly does sound like a good deal to me. Luckily for me, i just bought my Martin and probably wont be buying one for a LONG time.

as for "select pressure tested solid spruce top" i've always wondered that as well since i have an Art & Lutherie and my brother has a Seagull(Norman, A&L, S&P, seagull are all made in the same factory, so they use the same descriptive words). i'm assuming that "select pressure tested" just means that the guitar is selected based on uniform density to ensure higher quality, but im not too sure. that's my guess anyway.
Oh maan. What a good thread.

Good purchase mate! if you manage to get a picture or two of it I think most of us (well the ones among us who aren't telling you to "dump the bitch" as "it'll only get worse and then she'll want kids too!") would like to see some.

And thankyou to everyone who somehow made it from the pit over here. You rather amused me.
BTW threadstarter, to post pics you do this:

Take picture -> upload on photobucket or some other hosting site -> copy image location -> wrap around in (Invalid img)

Tada!
Quote by confusius
BTW threadstarter, to post pics you do this:

Take picture -> upload on photobucket or some other hosting site -> copy image location -> wrap around in (Invalid img)

Tada!

I think in not having the tools he meant he doesn't have a digital camera.
Tell her to mind her own business or take a hike. You're not married yet. Sounds high maintenance to me. Kind of girl I would stay away from.
Nice purchase! Honestly its your money and $700 isn't a lot of money(On top of that you got a great deal). She may be a little ticked right now but she'll get over it. Money is a silly thing to be upset about.

This is one of those times I'm glad to be gay. My hunny thinks its awesome when I get new guitars, he even bought a couple for me, haha.

Anyways, Congrats on the guitar. Get some pictures up.
I have an Alvarez RD20SSB.

Wonderful guitar.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by the-kidR44
^nah that guy has a long misserable life ahead of him if he marries that "ONE" not baggin all women just her.
oh and i mean pre-knub
oh yes and dont have any kids the first 5 years shell be presuring for a kid i bet 6 months-1 year into it, how much you wanna bet.

It's a pre-nuptial and alimony...and he will be just fine. Any big purchase like that requires a discussion. Your money is 'NOT' your money when you are engaged...it's 'OUR' money.

Anyway, sounds like you got an awesome deal.
In the Valley of Vung
Somebody close this thread already! Stop baiting the trolls!!
Last edited by sunshowers at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Mr. Parker
It's a pre-nuptial and alimony...and he will be just fine. Any big purchase like that requires a discussion. Your money is 'NOT' your money when you are engaged...it's 'OUR' money.

Anyway, sounds like you got an awesome deal.

Actually, I think it's more like this:

Your money is 'NOT' your money when you are engaged... it's 'HER' money.

Well, okay, maybe that's when your married. Never mind, carry on.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Page 1 of 2