i didnt know where to post this so its here. after broadining my music horizons from pretty much just death metal to viking/battle metal, among many other genres, ive decided to learn violin also. i was hoping to get some recomendations on beginner electric violins. thnx
What's a violin?

... I'd go try out at a local store.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Fender makes a pretty good beginner model, but you should probably start out on a normal violin first, and take lessons.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You're probably better off looking on a completely different forum, unless UG has some sort of violin expert I'm unaware of...
also Yamaha makes some really nice ones, which you may want to look into as some consider the Fender violins to be too heavy.

Last.fm
yamaha violins are good. I know cuz in local music school i wanna take violin and everyone reccomends that. they say fender's suck
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by T!AN
You're probably better off looking on a completely different forum, unless UG has some sort of violin expert I'm unaware of...

*raises hand* Ahem...

Actually, I'm no expert, but I have been playing violin for the past 5 or so years. Really, I'd say the best thing to do is just like a guitar. Go try a couple out and see what works best for you. Unless you're buying a Stradivarius (I think I spelled that right...), in which case still try a couple out. Just make sure you get one that's an appropriate size for you.

I think UG has maybe one other violinist. I'm pretty sure I've seen him around here before. He may have some sort of opinion as well.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Just make sure you get one that's an appropriate size for you.

well thats true, its very important to pick an apropiate size for you
3/4, 4/4, etc
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Here I am! UG's violin expert.
First thing: the violin is not like a guitar. You cannot pick it up, learn some basics, and then be a decent player. You are going to sound like absolute crap for at least a year, that is a promise.
The Yamaha line is really good for electric violins. Keep in mind you'll need a bow, a case, a tuner, rosin, spare strings (which are much more expensive than guitar strings btw) and an amp, among others. What's your budget?
Quote by Dizeaz2112
*raises hand* Ahem...

Actually, I'm no expert, but I have been playing violin for the past 5 or so years. Really, I'd say the best thing to do is just like a guitar. Go try a couple out and see what works best for you. Unless you're buying a Stradivarius (I think I spelled that right...), in which case still try a couple out. Just make sure you get one that's an appropriate size for you.

Chances are if you're buying a Stradivarius, or anything similar, you won't be able to try it out since those are almost always sold at auction, and they aren't just going to let a bunch of people try out a 200 year old $2 million+ instrument either.

You probably already know this, but I just felt like pointing it out.

Also, chances are if you are an adolescent or adult you will probably want a full sized violin unless you have very small hands.

Last.fm
what is this? (Stradivarius) how will i know what size to get? will sjop help me with that? and i learned guitar without lessons but should i attempt teaching myself violin? are there any good teaching sources like guitar pro but for violin?
you really should take lessons for violin, it's a lot harder than guitar when starting out.

A Stradivarius is an instrument made by Antonio Stradivari, he made Violins, Violas, Cellos, Guitars, Harps and Mandolins, and is most famous for his Violin family instruments. they are very rare and expensive, you'll probably never even see one in person.

And yes they should help get you the right size at the shop.

Last.fm
The Stradivarius reference was a joke. They cost millions of dollars.
To figure out your size: If you have access to a strings shop, go try a few sizes. If you can put your hand past the scroll and bend your wrist up and over it, get the next size up. Honestly, unless you're 10 years old or a midget you probably need a full size. A shop will get you started with the right size and all the right equipment.
You probably shouldn't try to teach yourself violin without a teacher. You could try, but the technical aspects would get so frustrating that you'd probably quit. This isn't meant to deter you- I'm just letting you know that technically it is a much harder instrument to learn than the guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
The Stradivarius reference was a joke. They cost millions of dollars.
To figure out your size: If you have access to a strings shop, go try a few sizes. If you can put your hand past the scroll and bend your wrist up and over it, get the next size up. Honestly, unless you're 10 years old or a midget you probably need a full size. A shop will get you started with the right size and all the right equipment.
You probably shouldn't try to teach yourself violin without a teacher. You could try, but the technical aspects would get so frustrating that you'd probably quit. This isn't meant to deter you- I'm just letting you know that technically it is a much harder instrument to learn than the guitar.

Yes. I should've cleared up the Strad thing from the get go. My bad on that one.

I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself violin, as well. There's just too much theory stuff behind it and everything. You'll end up wanting to bash it against a wall.
yeah, if you don't take lessons, chances are you only be able to make dying cat noises for quite some time.

Last.fm
I'd definitely start on an acoustic violin. Much better way to get finger positioning and intonation correct. As for electric violins, I currently have a Yamaha SV120, which was pretty good for the money. In my opinion the BEST electric violins can be had at http://woodviolins.com/ (including a nice 7 string fretted violin that can be purchased tuned guitar style :P) but they get pretty pricey. I'm not a fan of the Fender brand violins at all.

Be warned, playing violin is very different from playing guitar. Good luck

edit - definitely get violin lessons. I can't imagine trying to learn violin by yourself. Sure it's possible, but I wouldn't want to try.
Quote by wretchedspawn
after broadining my music horizons from pretty much just death metal to viking/battle metal

I have nothing to add to this, except that I thought this was really funny.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
*raises hand* Ahem...

I think UG has maybe one other violinist. I'm pretty sure I've seen him around here before. He may have some sort of opinion as well.

Enter Bartdevil! I've been playing Violin for 11 years.

I'd recommend a Paesold. They're German construction (meaning they're a bit more bass heavy) with lots of power. They're good enough to keep you ticking over for several years, as long as you look after it.

Edit: oh you want an electric one. Yamaha are a nice brand, try and get an S shaped one because they're lighter. Also, playing electric violin is not the same as playing normal violin. The bridge on an electric violin is much flatter, so you may find it harder to start out on than a normal one.

Quote by Roc8995
Here I am! UG's violin expert.

EDIT2: You play violin? Is there anything you don't do? What grade?
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at May 16, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
I get the feeling you googled violin and got the first link that came up?

Yes, but to be honest I looked at that site before while looking for an electric Viola.

TS, if you really want to be cool, forget the violin and learn viola.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
Make sure it has tubes. Or else its crap. lol

Tubes? What the hell are you talking about man?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Ahem, I think I'm a violin expert too. I've been playing for about 11 years as well and have won numerous competitions and gotten to perform Ziguenerweisen in front of the Richmond Symphony. Not to mention that I regularly perform in front of audiences for money.
/bragging

Anyhow, I really don't recommend learning violin past the age of 10. It's notoriously difficult. Way different than guitar. It's easy going from violin to guitar (which is what I did), but it's hard to go from guitar to violin. The fingerboard is small and fretless, and the bowarm requires impeccable sensitivity and control. It is incredibly difficult to play well without having a violin teacher, and chances are, you can find better things to spend money on than violin lessons.

If you lack commitment and dedication, violin is not the instrument for you.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
sorry to sort of steal the thread, but,
i was also thinking of teaching myself violin.
i know theory, and have almost developed relative pitch.
would it still be a bad idea?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
yeah, relative pitch may help you with intonation, but it won't do crap for bow technique, which IMO is the hardest thing about it, you really need to learn that from a teacher, at least at first.

Last.fm
damnit you basterd find your own thread hahah just joking.learn violin guy its amazing!!!!!!
and for people who said it is way too hard for me to learn piss off i will learn the ways hahaha
You will never learn to play violin. Even if you do, you will suck balls for 4-5 years, FACT.

This is from a professional regional concert violinist.
Im no expert on brands, im a violist and have played for the past 8 years. However my friend works at a violin shop and i can find out for you what would be the best bang for your buck. If you're not in a hurry for buying i can help you out, im on vacation right now and i wont see my friend till next week earliest.
Well, I guess I always wanted to play in Texas.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I have a relatively simple and inexpensive solution for you sir If you like the feel of a guitars but want the sound of a violin:EBOW
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by Chaosinborn
Im no expert on brands, im a violist and have played for the past 8 years. However my friend works at a violin shop and i can find out for you what would be the best bang for your buck. If you're not in a hurry for buying i can help you out, im on vacation right now and i wont see my friend till next week earliest.

The thread is a month old...
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.