ive been playing guitar for about 4 years now. i can play hard tracks like scarified by racer x. i can play each part clearly but when i try to play the whole song with tempo, i seem to make minor mistakes.. these mistakes comes up even more friquently when someone is watching me. i've played simple pluckins wrong on the stage. that was embarressing. its because i get extremely nervous when someone is paying attention to what im playing. this also happens when i'm trying to record something i made. for example i had to play a 3 minutes riff about 23 times to record it perfectly. can anyone suggest me how to get better at my accuracy? thanks
There really is only one solution, practice more. Getting nervous when people watch you is a huge problem for what it sounds like you're doing, and it's important to not let it affect you. Practice playing in front of a group of friends at first, just a small group. Then work your way up, untill people watching you becomes completely natural. Try to pretend they're not even there. You get used to it. Good luck!
Quote by kamayzing
There really is only one solution, practice more. Getting nervous when people watch you is a huge problem for what it sounds like you're doing, and it's important to not let it affect you. Practice playing in front of a group of friends at first, just a small group. Then work your way up, untill people watching you becomes completely natural. Try to pretend they're not even there. You get used to it. Good luck!

yeah he is completely right^^^^. it is basically desensitization. keep playing in front of ppl and you will eventually get comfortable doing it.
i have the same problem , when somebody is looking i make lots of mistakes
because i think about the people watching when i should concentrate on my playing.
i guess you could play more often in front of friends and audiences so that you will feel more relaxed and concentrated.
Practice makes perfect.

yup no doubt about that... the thing is i practice as much as i can.. practicing infront of an audience is what i cant do these days :S. everything messed up after i came to canada several months ago :'(
Practice makes perfect.

umm.. no i dont quite agree with that

Practice takes a man closer to perfection
noone can be absolutely perfect :P
not even petrucci, who looks like music is more of a profession to him than a way to have fun. lol dont start yelling at me.. im a big fan of that guy. but he's always tooo.. umm uptight and professional
Last edited by tanvir at May 16, 2008,
Quote by tanvir
ive been playing guitar for about 4 years now. i can play hard tracks like scarified by racer x. i can play each part clearly but when i try to play the whole song with tempo, i seem to make minor mistakes.. these mistakes comes up even more friquently when someone is watching me. i've played simple pluckins wrong on the stage. that was embarressing. its because i get extremely nervous when someone is paying attention to what im playing. this also happens when i'm trying to record something i made. for example i had to play a 3 minutes riff about 23 times to record it perfectly. can anyone suggest me how to get better at my accuracy? thanks

METRONOME

As far as nerves on stage go, they will go away after you play in front of people more. I havn't played guitar in front of people more than a few times, but I've sang a lot. At first I was always really nervous, and I would often choke up, but later it gets to the point where you are making music for yourself, and you are essentially "rocking out" like you would in your bedroom, rather than worrying about the people in the audience. After that, you get to a point where not only are you rocking out and enjoying yourself, but you are able to connect with the audience and help them to enjoy themselves to. It just takes time and experience.
Last edited by CowboyUp at May 16, 2008,
Quote by tanvir
umm.. no i dont quite agree with that

Practice takes a man closer to perfection
noone can be absolutely perfect :P
not even petrucci, who looks like music is more of a profession to him than a way to have fun. lol dont start yelling at me.. im a big fan of that guy. but he's always tooo.. umm uptight and professional

Practice may not make perfect, but it is the only solution to your problem.
Quote by tanvir
ive been playing guitar for about 4 years now. i can play hard tracks like scarified by racer x. i can play each part clearly but when i try to play the whole song with tempo, i seem to make minor mistakes.

Whenever you make a mistake, there's ALWAYS a reason for it. It's either mental
or physical or both. Sometimes it's just not obvious what the problem is until you
look for it. You can't fix something until the problem has been identified. That's
step 1.

I'm just hazarding a guess, but I'd say more than likely you are simply overestimating
how well you can play things. You're playing is in real time, right NOW. The way I
look at, you're as good as you can play right NOW. Everytime you pick up the
guitar, you're entering a completely different situation. It really doesn't matter
how cleanly you could play it 2 days ago alone in your bedroom. The past is over.

When you ACTUALLY can play something well is, every time you pick up the guitar,
your overall level is close to the best you're capable of.