Poll: Is saying "white power" racist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is saying "white power" racist?
yes, it supports white supremacy
290 60%
no
196 40%
Voters: 487.
Page 1 of 4
So my cousin who lives with us is always saying 'white power!', when he answers the phone(only to his friends), whenever he enters, gets invited to a party in CoD4(with his friends). And I guess its some kinda inside joke between them, I really don't know. And so today my brother starts to laugh at it(because when he says it it's really ridiculous) and my dad gets pissed and is like "So, white powers funny? You think being racist is funny?" and with my brother replied with "Saying 'white power' isn't racist, when black people say 'black power' thats not racist." and I'm standing there watching this, and say "Yes it is." "Hows saying 'white power' racist?" my genius brother says. My dad says "Because its saying 'White people are better than everybody else.'" And at this point my bro gave up. And so I was wondering while this was going on "Does the pit think saying 'white power' is racist?". And I guess my cousin thinks its funny cause hes like Mexican and, native American.

So to summarize for the lazy people who don't to read a paragraph, is saying white power racist?

Poll Coming
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
I have a friend who say's white power while he's playing on xbox live.

He's asian.
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
Quote by Masamune
This just reminded me of the black white supremesist.

I lol'd
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Yeah, it's racist. Simple.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by FireandFlames
whyt pawr whyt pawr
*pumps fist in air*
oh wait.. I'm Asian.....

He got banned from xbox live a couple of days ago because people complained he was a racist.
Quote by Vermintide

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Quote by shakes23
He got banned from xbox live a couple of days ago because people complained he was a racist.

ok..I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but I need to know

why the hell does 70% of the pit has that picture as an avatar!??!? it's everywhere!

EDIT: and so I'm not completely off-topic...I think he isn't saying it with racist purposes..he's using it as a joke, so he's not being racist. he should stop though..someone will beat him up eventually.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Last edited by tincho729 at May 16, 2008,
Quote by tincho729

why the hell does 70% of the pit has that picture as an avatar!??!? it's everywhere!

It's Grundys avatar, who is dying of cancer. It's a sign of respect.
Quote by Vermintide

Well in my opinion it's racist. According to dictionary.com "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement". I guess some people may be offended if you use the phrase, so I would avoid it.
Quote by CowboyUp
Considering it's the "catch phrase" of various white supremacist groups...

Hot Shower! Hot shower!
Quote by Vermintide

I'm pretty sure the White Ranger was the most powerful Power Ranger. Does that answer your question?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by tincho729

Check the I Have Cancer sticky

edit: beaten to it...and in my own thread
Jim Morrison
Ooo,...I so that's why...

I was in that thread, but i guess i was late for that
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by tincho729
Ooo,...I so that's why...

I was in that thread, but i guess i was late for that

ya...by a bit..
Jim Morrison
Definitely not in the context he's using it in, if he's only joking like you said. Plus, he's not even white, so it's obviously a joke, if a really lame one.

If a white person were to say it in a serious manner and completely be sincere about it, though, that would most cetainly be racist.
kill all humans
well if you look at the actual meaning of the words, it's not really asserting that whites are better than everybody else, it's not really comparing them to anything. it's more of the history of the phrase i suppose. "Asian pride" is not viewed as racist, it's not THAT different.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Masamune
This just reminded me of the black white supremesist. (sp?)

My friend Jasper told one of them coons, "Look here nagger, that there is my girl. If anybody is gonna have sex with my sister, it's gon' be me!"

To the guy above me: Asian pride is retarded. I feel like punching people whenever I hear it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
well if you look at the actual meaning of the words, it's not really asserting that whites are better than everybody else, it's not really comparing them to anything. it's more of the history of the phrase i suppose. "Asian pride" is not viewed as racist, it's not THAT different.

In this case, it's the history of the phrase that's drawing so much fire. Saying "white power" is evocative of the same ideals that brought about its conception, namely the concept that white people are superior to all other races. While in the TS's story it's being used primarily as a joke, in other contexts it can be extremely offensive.

So how are "black power" and "asian pride" not racist? In America, saying things like "white power" would not only be offensive but redundant. As a whole, white Americans are much better off economically, politically, etc, than other minority groups, either simply by size or social forces. Terms like "black power" and "asian pride" are meant to increase the morale of the ethnic groups intended in a primarily white-dominated world. Saying "white power," then, would only be reaffirming a power system that has historically kept other races down, especially in America.

Hope I didn't come off too much like a jackass...
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Yes, because if a white person say's something street it's "racist".
And if a black person say's something racist it's "street".
If he's being facetious, then no it's not.

If someone says it in all seriousness, then yes.

There is the point of view that "white power" and "white pride" are simply non-racist ways of expressing pride in one's heritage, which is not the case. They are very reactionary and very racist statements, used by neo-nazi and white supremacist groups to present a more media-friendly version of their hateful message. "White" is not a shared heritage, nationality, or history unlike other ethnic groups who use seemingly similar messages in terms of their own ethnicity. "White Pride" or "White Power" is inherently racist, no matter which way you spin it.

But if your cousin is just joking, no big deal.
The last time I ever heard a black person say Black Power was in the 60-70's due to oppression and civil rights.

Racial power shouldn't even be necessary. It continuously shows deliberate domination of ones cultural race over another in order to offend, even if the person saying it thinks he isnt being offensive.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
This is a topic that annoys me. At my school, we have a diverse group of cultures. There are plenty of asians at my school, and a lot of them are the gangster wannabes. Now, what annoys me is that they have no problem with "Azn Pridez!" or "We gotz teh Azn power, lulz" (yes, that's exactly how alot of them speak, no joke), but the moment I said "Yay, I've got white power!", I was instantly branded a racist. I had a conversation with a fellow Caucasian friend a while ago, and was discussing this exact issue and how it annoyed me. A few asians turned around and said to me "You're racist... you're arrogant". I was absolutely stunned. They were so ignorant, it wasn't funny. I wasn't being a racist, I was discussing the implications of "White power" (and having a laugh about it, so it was a bit of a joke).

Here's what I say in all the other Racism pit threads: I'm not a racist, I'm a joker. I'm an intelligent (and modest ) person who knows more than some about racism. I make jokes about it, sure, but I don't mean any of what I say. I tip my hat to people who can laugh at themselves, because 90% of the time, that's what it comes down to.

"Asians eat too much rice, drive like crap, and all know karate."

Is that racist? No, it's a joke. But I know plenty of people who wouldn't treat it as such. When I say "white power", I say it as a joke. Laugh at it for god's sake.

edit: that said, I understand completely that in today's society, unfortunately for us, it is seen as a racist comment.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at May 16, 2008,
^^ You've gone too far!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Hot shower! hot shower! hot shower!
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
I think it's just about as bad as walking around with your hand rasied like a nazi. Sure, it's funny but it IS offensive and some people will take him seriously.
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
The only thing I can remember though is beating the hell out of a beaver's skull. Also I think there were Pokemon there.
Quote by ninja dude
and my dad gets pissed and is like "So, white powers funny? You think being racist is funny?"
Your dad is right. It's racist.

Quote by ninja dude
and with my brother replied with "Saying 'white power' isn't racist, when black people say 'black power' thats not racist."
Your brother is wrong. Those are both racist.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Just stop saying all of that dumbass stuff. It's not hard to keep your mouth shut.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by blue_strat

Black and white. That's equality for you.

That's why Linux is the "every man's" operating system.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'm saying no. Just because what you said about your brother saying if people say black power it isn't racist is true. Black people, asians, orientals, whatever, no non-white person can be called racist for some reason it doesn't work that way. If racism punishments were equal black people would be FUCKED. They're way more racist to white people than vice versa. People just don't care for some reason.
The phrase "White Power" could essentially be connected to anything. The Imperialist armies duirng the Russian Revolution were commonly known as the whites, who's to say thats not what someone means when they say it? Perhaps you're of a pro-Romanov point of view? You could even be reffering, God forbid, to Tottenham Hotspur (not that you'd want to say anything pro-Spurs) when using a phrase like "White Power". It's the way people percieve it, and I'm sick of ignorant people assuming that everything Caucasians say is detrimental to other cultures.

To summarise: saying "White Power" is not necessarily racist.
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
Page 1 of 4